Catalytic Converters

Beezz

Two reasons for wanting to know. The odd smell issue that occurs under high loading. I was doing some research and learned that if a large amount of unburnt fuel enters the cat it could produce a sulfur smell. Also when the cat heats up and you push the car the buildup inside will begin to burn off and produce a smell. The other reason is that I have been seeing temperatures above 1950 F (1050 C) consistently over a few months and was wondering if something was wrong with them. Obviously after harder than normal driving. Ill check the inlet, o2 sensor, and outlet temps at some point this month and see if they are actually running hot.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

That smell is pretty universal on nearly every car I have owned. Some of that is due to the corrosion resistance stuff on the exhaust and components under the vehicle. That has pretty much disappeared for me now. However that burnt smell has been universal when going on extended WOT runs. It isn't just the cats that get really hot when going WOT as the turbos can also really start glowing and thus start burning off stuff near it.

• Like 2

Well, Beez, I suppose you are tracking fuel trims, along with cat temps? How do the LTFTs and STFTs look? I would think if the fuel trims look a bit wacky, there is a possibility of a leaky fuel injector, a known issue with GTDI engines. Are you seeing elevated temps on both banks?

Yeah, STFT looks like the engine is running rich, LTFT somewhat validates the engine is overall running rich aswell. And yes both banks have high temps, usually within 20 degrees of one another. I havent paid much attention to the o2 sensors yet (not enough room on the screen). When i have time ill data log over a few hours and then see whats happening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...