iPhone & Bluetooth

(My apologies if this has been covered in another thread; if it has, maybe someone can post the link here…?)

2010 Ford Edge with Sync, although I’m not sure what version; I don’t have the touchscreen, just the one with the digital display on the radio (even though the pictures in the car’s manual are of the touchscreen model). I want to be able to play music from my iPhone through the Bluetooth audio without the music playing on its own, i.e. Autoplay. I’ve done some research online and found out that this is apparently a known issue that goes back several years, although opinions on whose fault it is are divided: some say it’s an iPhone setting, some say it’s a problem with the Sync system.

Anyway, this is what I’d like to do, if it’s possible:

-The Bluetooth on my iPhone is turned on when I get in the car and start it, and I wait for the Bluetooth on the phone to connect with the car, which usually only takes a few seconds.

-I change the source from FM (my default; I don’t have satellite radio right now) to AUX, and the display shows that the Bluetooth is connecting with the phone; “IPHONE” shows on the display after a few more seconds, and then “MEDIA STREAMING” shows. I have been using the “SYNC LINE IN” with an audio cable to hear the music, which works just fine; but I’d like to use the Bluetooth since I can control the pause, skip track, and all that with the controls on the steering wheel.

-Once everything is connected, I go to the Music player on the phone, choose the music myself (as opposed to the random Autoplay), hit Play, and the music starts.

As of right now, though, once it all connects, it automatically starts playing music, and it’s completely random as to what it plays; it’s not even the first track alphabetically in my library (which would at least make some sense) or anything like that.

In my online research, I did find one page that someone had posted in the Apple discussions. It said that once the music starts playing on its own, go to the menu in the Sync system until you find the setting for “AUTOPLAY” and set that to “OFF”. I have tried that several times, and even though it says “AUTOPLAY OFF”, it still starts playing on its own. Now, if I’ve chosen the music myself, and I’m going somewhere and pause the music (or turn off the car; I discovered that), once I start the car again, the music resumes, but that’s the music I chose, not the Autoplay. I have looked in every setting I can think of on the iPhone, but nothing seems to be helpful.

I’d also like to do this without any “workarounds”; I’m hoping just a setting or two will do the job. So, if anyone has suggestions or info, it’s appreciated.