Ford Edge battery keeps dying

Melfedo

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and the. Artery keeps dying. I replaced the battery when it was about 6 months old. Inhave now had to jump it 3 times in the last 4 months. I will be calling the dealership tomorrow, but what gives??? It has less thank 100k miles on it.

Anything plugged into the power ports? Anything plugged into the OBD port?

Troubleshooting the system involved reading the OBD port to see if there any codes. Failing that, disconnect the negative battery terminal and connect a VOM in series to measure the leakage current. Should only be a few milliamps of power being used. If there is a power leakage, next step is to disconnect one fuse at a time until the drain stops. Once you have the circuit, it's only following it down one items at a time until you find the component.

• Like 1

OK, I'm not the Forum Police, but you will find more answers to your technical questions in the more appropriate forums, not in the Welcome Forum.

Like in the 2013 discussion forum, you would find the info below. The Search feature is how I found this info.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12330-dead-battery/?hl=%2Bbattery+%2Bdies&do=findComment&comment=107963

• Like 1

2011+ Edge units have a feature called the Battery Management System. Any time you put in a new battery, the computer has to relearn the battery characteristics. Otherwise it will think the old battery is still in place and recharge it that way. So your new battery will not get charged properly.

I would charge up the battery with an external smart battery charger, then let the Edge sit for at least 8 hrs overnight so the PCM can relearn the battery. Might take it a while to charge, depending on depth of discharge, so if you cannot be without the Edge for let's say a day, I would take it in to the dealership to reset the BMS instead. $$ but that would be the tradeoff.

As noted above, aftermarket electronics that need to stay alive after engine shutoff can drain a battery. So can a funky CD player or shifter or door latch on this generation of Edge.

• Like 1