Sound screen replacement windshield

Just took a shot from a big ole rock today and will need to have the windshield replaced on the old 2011 SEL. Was just wondering if any of the 11-14's came with Ford's Sound screen windshields. If so, I'm gonna ask my glass guy if he can get a Carlite Sound screen replacement for me instead of the standard model.

There was a thread about this somewhere else on the board (can't recall where.) But my '11 Limited AWD w/ 301a did not come with the SS windshield. I think there is some kind of "SoundScreen Equipped" logo near the CarLite markings on the glass. Mine does not have it, nor it is listed as an option on the dealer sticker.

There are a few choices out there, this is one of them

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/egr-integrated-side-step-running-boards

Others:

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/10A50172.aspx

For the bug guard, one possibility is the AVS with separate fasteners

Horrible thread aim triple dub!! :):)

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my second windshield replaced (just bad luck).

Local Safelite again refused to use Carlite SoundScreen. Called another local auto glass shop (he did my first replacement) and installed the OEM glass 24 hours later (he would have done pilkington too if I wanted).

Finally got insurance company to put local guy on preferred list. Now I don't even have to reject safelite as step #1.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I finally had mine replaced this morning and did end up going with the Carlite Soundscreen. Only thing that looks a little strange to me is that I can see a foam strip running across the very bottom of the new windshield from inside. I don't remember seeing any foam weatherstrip??????

I replaced the windshield in my '13 SEL earlier this summer. Windshield wiper etchings were really bad from its early years in New York. I used a local glass shop in Nashville that installed a PPG windshield with the sound proofing in it. Honestly it is quieter than the OE glass was.. My wife noticed the difference almost immediately.