2013 Edge Heater not working

Adam

Just curious. I've seen another post with a similar problem but the heater blows cold air. I bought the suv in April of last year and never had to use heater so may not have been working when I bought it. Took to my mechanic and he had to replace the switch that opens and closes the door for heat/cold(sorry, don't remember the technical term). He said this is a big issue with the Edge. And now it's doing the same thing again. Just curious if a lot of other people are having this issue and if there have been any recalls or solutions from Ford if it is a big problem? This is my first Ford and I like it but don't want to be shelling out a few hundred bucks every 6 months to fix this problem.

It is called the blend door actuator, as far as i know. Even though it is a common issue, considering the number of Edges on the road, it is not that big of an issue. Also this is the first time I read of someone who had it fail in six months. Did your mechanic use an OEM part?

Do you have dual climate control? If yes, is the issue happening on both sides? Because if you have dual zone climate, then you have 2x actuators that work independently.

• Like 2

How many miles on your Edge? Have you checked coolant level in the degas/overflow bottle? How does the coolant look, is it clean and free of debris/slime?

Ā 

Did your mechanic use aftermarket or OEM parts? When a high-dollar repair is involved, it is best to go OEM unless there is a known superior aftermarket part.

Ā 

Also check your cabin air filter (behind glovebox) to make sure it is not clogged. In which case you might also see lower airflow through the vents. Very common to see this service item neglected. And it is very DIY.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying to my post and the advice you offered. I will check with my mechanic on which replacement part he used and have him use the better part you all mentioned. I'm sure he would rather not have to repair it again as well because from what I saw it's quite a bit of work just to get to the part. I don't have the dual climate and coolant looks fine so pretty sure it was an aftermarket part. Thanks again.

I do have the duel climate control (13 MKX). Before winter I had no heat on either side and took it in to the dealer for an oil change and ask them to check out the heater also. They had to reprogram the HVAC control module. It seems like they reprogrammed everything because when I got back in it everything was reset back to factory. I did have to reset everything back to where I had it set but the heater has been working ever since.