spark plugs

donsgolf

My experiences has been about 60k.

Ford says 100k, but you'll start misfiring under load and notice strange behavior in transmission shift patterns. These are the early signs. It is best to changeout the plugs before the gap on them becomes so big that it damages the ECU. It is a relatively simple process for a Sunday mechanic and well documented on this forum,

Happy trails.

• Like 2

100,000 miles but if you are idling a lot and have heavy stop and go traffic I would recommend about 70K miles. Those idle hours and sitting in traffic add up quickly as I am finding out with my wife's Edge in comparing miles of operation vs hours of engine operation.

• Like 1

Good point, plugs still firing but no milage accumulating. I can see this extending not only to idling but to freeway driving and city traffic as well. (Not much if either around my neck of the woods, but certainly affects millions in California, Florida & metropolitan areas).

Even without misfires you don't want to leave them in for 100K.

I do just because I do not want to change plugs that often. I am at 100K highway right now and no misfires are being detected. I am changing them this weekend though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

100,000 miles but if you are idling a lot and have heavy stop and go traffic I would recommend about 70K miles. Those idle hours and sitting in traffic add up quickly as I am finding out with my wife's Edge in comparing miles of operation vs hours of engine operation.

Went back and reread the Maintenance Manual for cars subject to long periods of idling and slow driving (such as Taxi or city traffic, or calif freeway, etc.) and the schedule for spark plug replacment officially drops to 60,000 miles. (Along with a shorter transmission drain interval among other things).
  • Like 3

Went back and reread the Maintenance Manual for cars subject to long periods of idling and slow driving (such as Taxi or city traffic, or calif freeway, etc.) and the schedule for spark plug replacment officially drops to 60,000 miles. (Along with a shorter transmission drain interval among other things).

Yep my wife gets new plugs every two years now. She drives 10K miles a year but two years would be like 100K miles. LOL

• Like 1

Seems my memory is failing.

My model year is a 2008.

The stock plugs for a 3.5L in 2008 are Motorcraft part number AYFS22FM. They come in a box of 6 under the part number Motorcraft SP411. The stock plugs for my model year is an iridium enhanced fine wire platinum. Not entirely iridium.

It seems that there is no 100% iridium Motorcraft plug for the Edge.

For your model year (2013) Ford went to strictly platinum. A package of 6 is part number Motorcraft SP-520.

The iridium plugs that will fit a 2013 model V6 (and probably out perform the platinum plugs) are:

NGK Iridium Ix Spark Plug Part No. 6509

Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plug Part No. XP5363

Denso Iridium TT Spark Plug: ITV20TT Part No. 4719

ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug Part No. 41-988

Denso ITV20 Iridium Power Spark Plug Part No. 5339

Link to advance auto parts and iridium plugs.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&vehicleIdSearch=629089&vehicle_629089=2013+%3A+Ford+%3A+Edge+Limited+%3A+3.5L+3496CC+V6+FI+VIN%3A+C&vehicle_407724=2008+%3A+Ford+%3A+Edge+Limited+%3A+3.5L+213CI+V6+FI+VIN%3A+C&searchTerm=iridium&searchedFrom=header

Sorry for the confusion, Good luck.

Edited by autom8r
  • Like 2

Seems my memory is failing.

My model year is a 2008.

The stock plugs for a 3.5L in 2008 are Motorcraft part number AYFS22FM. They come in a box of 6 under the part number Motorcraft SP411. The stock plugs for my model year is an iridium enhanced fine wire platinum. Not entirely iridium.

It seems that there is no 100% iridium Motorcraft plug for the Edge.

For your model year (2013) Ford went to strictly platinum. A package of 6 is part number Motorcraft SP-520.

The iridium plugs that will fit a 2013 model V6 (and probably out perform the platinum plugs) are:

NGK Iridium Ix Spark Plug Part No. 6509

Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plug Part No. XP5363

Denso Iridium TT Spark Plug: ITV20TT Part No. 4719

ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug Part No. 41-988

Denso ITV20 Iridium Power Spark Plug Part No. 5339

Link to advance auto parts and iridium plugs.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&vehicleIdSearch=629089&vehicle_629089=2013+%3A+Ford+%3A+Edge+Limited+%3A+3.5L+3496CC+V6+FI+VIN%3A+C&vehicle_407724=2008+%3A+Ford+%3A+Edge+Limited+%3A+3.5L+213CI+V6+FI+VIN%3A+C&searchTerm=iridium&searchedFrom=header

Sorry for the confusion, Good luck.

I have purchased some of the Iridiums and since they are not specific for the Edge I discovered the gaps to be completely wrong so if you purchase iridiums be ready to attempt to gap the plugs. I returned them and went back with the MC plugs for platinum. 100K miles on a platinum plug showed gaps at .059, .061 and the rest were at .062 this is based on the OEM setting of .051 approximately before installed. Really great wear IMO and no need to go with the more costly iridiums.

• Like 2

The benefit of iridium plugs is not necessarily longer life than platinum plugs- it's that you can run a fine point electrode AND still get long life. The iridium plug will perform better from idle to redline than the platinum plug with it's larger diameter electrode. I run NGK Iridium IX plugs in everything, from my weed eater to my 600 HP supercharged Cobra. The Ford iridium plugs are good too.

• Like 2