Hyper-sensitive brakes

Several months ago, I asked if anyone had been experiencing "grabby" brakes on their Edge... ours is a 2015 Titanium. Well, today, the dealer advised me they were replacing the brake booster, pursuant to Technical Service Bulletin #SSM 45857 and NHTSA #10081005.

I'd researched the issue and supplied the service department at the dealership with the information.

To be honest, the dealer was NOT trying to blow me off... but having the information, certainly helped showing them I was an educated customer.

If anyone else is having these same issues, you might approach the dealership with this information... it certainly made getting the proper repairs made in my case.

Best bet is come prepared. When I brought my 2007 in for a fuel tank change I asked if they had it in stock for a FWD version, made an appointment and asked if they just intended to seal the tank or replace it. I also asked for a loaner which was provided for just the gasoline that was used. They also saved my 1/8 tank of gas and put it in the new tank.

Knowing what you are talking about and questioning what they are prepared to do is important when dealing with service departments.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my "grabby" sensitive breaks on my 2016 Edge. The dealership could not duplicate it on a test drive so they are not repairing it.

The car was built on 04/2016 which puts it out of the booster recall.

Am at a loss.

Any suggestions

Affected brakes are only grabby at very slow speeds. They should only need to drive it in the parking lot slowly to duplicate the problem. The booster on our 2016 was replaced due to the problem which did not manifest itself at higher speeds.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My brakes have begun behaving this way, as well. 2017 Sport with only about 4k miles on it. I noticed it a little bit earlier on but it seems to be getting worse. They also squeak - namely with very soft pressure at a slow speed - like when I ease up on the brake pedal at a stop, enough to where the vehicle begins to creap forward.. Also, when coming to a slow stop on a hill - the squeak is much louder in that circumstance.

No TSBs or anything listed for a 2017. I guess I'll call the dealer to see if they can look at it..

Edited by Sport17

• 1 month later...

How is the temperature and humidity in your area? Either/both can affect brake noisiness, albeit cismetic in nature.

Well, I'm in the Bay area, CA (south of San Francisco 20 miles or so). Humidity can vary quite a bit. At my house, about 800 ft. ele. in the hills, it can be quite humid (foggy/low clouds). Down on the pavement, it's quite dry and warm. Been waiting about a month for the service appointment at the dealership. Finger's crossed. From what others have described, I have the EXACT same issue - whiplash braking under 10mph or so.. But my vehicle was built after the cutoff so we'll see how it goes. I just came back to get the TSB info from the earlier post. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

So, I got it back from the dealer. Dealer said they couldn't replicate the squeak or the hyper-sensitivity, which was, well, a total lie. However, in the dealer's defense it does look like the problem was self inflicted. I had my wheels and calipers painted by a very reputable shop in the area. I ASSUMED they would remove the calipers before painting. They apparently didn't. There's paint on the pads, the outside of the rotors, all of the stainless metal clips and hardware, and the guide pins. Ugh. Unbelievable. So It looks like it's just gummed up - causing just a bit of "extra" friction that the booster is over-compensating for.

As for the dealer saying they couldn't replicate the issue, I'm assuming they're just covering their asses - if they were to say "yeah, we replicated the issue but didn't fix it", they're basically sending someone back on the road admittedly with bad brakes. The good news is that they did indicate that there was paint on everything and I used that to have my bank reverse the charge of the caliper painting. Unfortunately, that won't cover the repair (new pads, hardware and cleaning paint off).

Anyway, I'm still not sure that the paint is even the real issue but the fact is, there is paint on brake parts which basically dismisses any warranty claim I may have on the brakes. The paint shop that did it are pros. 5/5 stars on Yelp. They work on Lambos, Bentleys, Vettes, and yes, Ford Edges. I mean I can't imagine they would screw up so badly.

Second issue I'm still having is with the tailgate not latching when parked at an angle, but I'll post that in a new thread...

Edited by Sport17

The good news is that they did indicate that there was paint on everything and I used that to have my bank reverse the charge of the caliper painting. Unfortunately, that won't cover the repair (new pads, hardware and cleaning paint off).

Anyway, I'm still not sure that the paint is even the real issue but the fact is, there is paint on brake parts which basically dismisses any warranty claim I may have on the brakes. The paint shop that did it are pros. 5/5 stars on Yelp. They work on Lambos, Bentleys, Vettes, and yes, Ford Edges. I mean I can't imagine they would screw up so badly.

off subject a bit but did you at least try to get the guys to fix it or offer you a refund of some sort? kind of a dick move to stop a payment on something without contacting a business first. they have families to feed just like the rest of us. if they mess up and don't stand behind it... different story.

Yes, I did contact the paint shop and they agreed to refund the money. I called the bank AFTER as a precaution and the dude insisted that he overturn the charge. I told him (BOA rep) that the shop was willing to refund me but he said not to worry about it. So, no. Not a dick move at all. Also, I would NEVER have a paint shop try to fix my brakes. What they did was inexcusably negligent. Kind of a dick move judging people in a forum when you don't know everything.

Total repair cost is going to be $1000+. Total paint cost was $1350. I got $400 back. Paint shop should be happy.

Edited by Sport17

easy killer.. no one was judging you. if you read it says "dick move" preceded by the part where i asked if you talked to the business first.. followed by "different story". read the whole thing, then pull the panties out your bum. you got ripped off in all aspects thus far. i feel for you. and i'm glad you got your money back. if someone told me $1350 to spray paint my calipers i'd tell em to suck eggs. People paint entire cars for that price. I had an entire quarter panel replaced on a focus for half that. $18 for hi temp paint and $5 for painters tape. where the hell did they come up with the additional $1327? they charge $500 an hour labor?

that's the kind of place that can only thrive in cali. these tall boot wearin sum beeches in texas wouldn't have wiped the cow sh!t off their boots in a place like that. jesse james himself would hand engrave a shaft and balls on each caliper for less than that.

Edited by Mikula

easy killer.. no one was judging you. if you read it says "dick move" preceded by the part where i asked if you talked to the business first.. followed by "different story". read the whole thing, then pull the panties out your bum. you got ripped off in all aspects thus far. i feel for you. and i'm glad you got your money back. if someone told me $1350 to spray paint my calipers i'd tell em to suck eggs. People paint entire cars for that price. I had an entire quarter panel replaced on a focus for half that. $18 for hi temp paint and $5 for painters tape. where the hell did they come up with the additional $1327? they charge $500 an hour labor?

that's the kind of place that can only thrive in cali. these tall boot wearin sum beeches in texas wouldn't have wiped the cow sh!t off their boots in a place like that. jesse james himself would hand engrave a shaft and balls on each caliper for less than that.

Read more carefully. They also painted the wheels for that price, not just the calipers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Prior to having the booster replaced, I found I could mitigate the hypersensitivity of the brakes, particularly when they were cold, by riding them lightly, for a short distance, in order to build some heat into the pads and rotors. It seemed to help a bit.

It was a pain in the okole, but it was better than slamming passengers against their seatbelts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...