Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Michelin Premier LTX rapid wear (V rated)

mact tires mactfordedge good tires michelin premier ltx

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

I installed a set of Michelin Premier LTX (v) rated tires in mid February 2017.  No I am 10 weeks into the use of these tire and I will state I love them as far as performance on the road and in the wet weather.  Plus they are very quiet tires with a great ride quality.

Here is the rub.    The tires from the factory have 9/32nds tread.   I have ran 11K miles on them in 10 wks.   They are now down to 5/32nds of tread in the front and less than 8/32nds on the rears.

What does this mean.  For me the tires will be completely worn down to less than 2/32nds by about August in just 6 months or so.

The tires are warrantied for 60K miles and I will be lucky to get 25-30K miles out of them.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 197 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Pretty sure we have those same tires on our Edge for the last year or so.  I'll see if I can find my tread depth measuring thingy tonight and see what type of wear we've seen so far. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#3 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,096 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

In the part I used Michelin's and found that they used soft rummer that wore quickly (20k) and then it when into a hard rubber. I was told by the local dealer that they did this to make the tires smooth and quiet when new. They were 60k rated tires and I replaced them in the 30k's. Never bought Michelin's since.

There are also many cases of fast wear reported on Amazon's owner reviews.

#4 OFFLINE   Ntrain2k

Ntrain2k

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 300 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

I installed a set of Michelin Premier LTX (v) rated tires in mid February 2017.  No I am 10 weeks into the use of these tire and I will state I love them as far as performance on the road and in the wet weather.  Plus they are very quiet tires with a great ride quality.

Here is the rub.    The tires from the factory have 9/32nds tread.   I have ran 11K miles on them in 10 wks.   They are now down to 5/32nds of tread in the front and less than 8/32nds on the rears.

What does this mean.  For me the tires will be completely worn down to less than 2/32nds by about August in just 6 months or so.

The tires are warrantied for 60K miles and I will be lucky to get 25-30K miles out of them.

When you use the warranty see if they will give you a credit towards the higher wear rated Michelins.

#5 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 469 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Same thing happened when I had a set of Goodyear Forteras on my Explorer.  Wore out at about 30k miles.  Goodyear store gave me a pro-rate on a new set of Wrangler Radials.  I'd ask for a pro-rated price on a new set of something else (assuming you go to the same tire store.)  You probably will have to stay with a Michelin tire, tho. 

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Not sure if it's climate or roads or the way we drive but we never get more than 25K out of passenger car tires and 35K from crossover tires.

Personally I would not want to drive on tires with rubber so hard they last 60K or 80K.

#7 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

OK, I plan to actually measure the depth tonight.  The tires should be close to 9K miles already and have not been rotated yet.

I'll figure the exact mileage and post up tread depths for both front and rear.  If I can't find my tread depth gauge, I'll break out the caliper and get it that way.

#8 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

So I couldn't find my tread depth gauge, so I used the part on my caliper that you can extend like a depth gauge.

It was hard to get a repeatable reading, but it looked like 0.21" up front and 0.225" in back after 10,000 miles.  That's puts the front right at 7/32".  

TireRack shows the starting tread depth as 8.5/32" (not 9 as max stated above).  So in approx 10K miles, our tires have worn 1.5/32".  If they are done at 3/32, then prorating it out, they should last for 5.5/1.5*10000=36,700 miles.

I'm guessing the rubber will harden slightly over time which will help, and the wear rate will also drop some simply due to shorter tread blocks/less squirm.  I'm going to say 40K should not be a problem.  If I get 40K on a set of tires- I'm OK with that.  I'd not be happy if they are done at 25K or 30K as Mac is thinking.

If they are warrantied for 60K, I'll just get a new set and take the warranty reimbursement.  Love them for traction, noise, handling and ride.

#9 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Update:   The Michelin Premier LTX tires I installed have slowed the wear down despite the miles.  It seems the compound is harder below the first 3/32nds of wear.   They have been hanging on at about 5/32nds and yet the traction and ride are still good in dry and wet conditions.  Interesting  results as I have not seen a tire wear quickly then slow down like this before.

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,096 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

My experience with long-life Michelin's was super quiet and super smooth for the first 20k. Then they get into the hard rubber (to give you the extended milage) and they got loud and hard. It got so bad I had new tires put on. I see whete others on Amazon has seen the same thing, most complain of rapid wear. I decided long ago not to go with Michelin's again. Happy with Bridgestone's however.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mact, tires, mactfordedge, good tires, michelin premier ltx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users