Michelin Premier LTX rapid wear (V rated)

macbwt

I installed a set of Michelin Premier LTX (v) rated tires in mid February 2017. No I am 10 weeks into the use of these tire and I will state I love them as far as performance on the road and in the wet weather. Plus they are very quiet tires with a great ride quality.

Here is the rub. The tires from the factory have 9/32nds tread. I have ran 11K miles on them in 10 wks. They are now down to 5/32nds of tread in the front and less than 8/32nds on the rears.

What does this mean. For me the tires will be completely worn down to less than 2/32nds by about August in just 6 months or so.

The tires are warrantied for 60K miles and I will be lucky to get 25-30K miles out of them.

• Like 1

In the past I used Michelin's and found that they used soft rubber that wore quickly (20k) and then it when into a hard rubber. I was told by the local dealer that they did this to make the tires smooth and quiet when new. They were 60k rated tires and I replaced them in the 30k's due to the noise and hard ride. Never bought Michelin's since.

There are also many cases of fast wear reported on Amazon's owner reviews.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Same thing happened when I had a set of Goodyear Forteras on my Explorer. Wore out at about 30k miles. Goodyear store gave me a pro-rate on a new set of Wrangler Radials. I'd ask for a pro-rated price on a new set of something else (assuming you go to the same tire store.) You probably will have to stay with a Michelin tire, tho.

• Like 1

OK, I plan to actually measure the depth tonight. The tires should be close to 9K miles already and have not been rotated yet.

I'll figure the exact mileage and post up tread depths for both front and rear. If I can't find my tread depth gauge, I'll break out the caliper and get it that way.

• Like 1

So I couldn't find my tread depth gauge, so I used the part on my caliper that you can extend like a depth gauge.

It was hard to get a repeatable reading, but it looked like 0.21" up front and 0.225" in back after 10,000 miles. That's puts the front right at 7/32".

TireRack shows the starting tread depth as 8.5/32" (not 9 as max stated above). So in approx 10K miles, our tires have worn 1.5/32". If they are done at 3/32, then prorating it out, they should last for 5.5/1.5*10000=36,700 miles.

I'm guessing the rubber will harden slightly over time which will help, and the wear rate will also drop some simply due to shorter tread blocks/less squirm. I'm going to say 40K should not be a problem. If I get 40K on a set of tires- I'm OK with that. I'd not be happy if they are done at 25K or 30K as Mac is thinking.

If they are warrantied for 60K, I'll just get a new set and take the warranty reimbursement. Love them for traction, noise, handling and ride.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Update: The Michelin Premier LTX tires I installed have slowed the wear down despite the miles. It seems the compound is harder below the first 3/32nds of wear. They have been hanging on at about 5/32nds and yet the traction and ride are still good in dry and wet conditions. Interesting results as I have not seen a tire wear quickly then slow down like this before.

• Like 2

My experience with long-life Michelin's was super quiet and super smooth for the first 20k. Then they get into the hard rubber (to give you the extended milage) and they got loud and hard. It got so bad I had new tires put on. I see whete others on Amazon has seen the same thing, most complain of rapid wear. I decided long ago not to go with Michelin's again. Happy with Bridgestone's however.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a full set of mint 2015 Mustang GT 18" wheels that I plan to put on my 2011 Limited. Being an old school car guy, I hate those crap aluminum clad wheels. I've purchased the correct lug nuts, hub rings and sensors and plan to get a new set of tires and make these my summer rims.

post-39090-0-23537900-1503925353_thumb.jpg

That brings me to tires

I bought the Edge as a CPO with 40K miles on the clock and they delivered it with 4 new Michelin Lattitude Tour HP's P245/60R18. I've now got 71K, and they still have plenty of tread left. I'm thinking they'll make 60K miles easily. The tires have been rotated every 5K miles (with each oil change)

My question is why wouldn't I buy another set of these? Yes, they are more pricy, but they're still quiet with no wear issues. Does anyone have a better recommendation?

You can check for yourself (just to keep them homest).

The tire date code is the last four number of the DOT code. Look for the "DOT" on the tire (can be on either side) and you should find the last four numbers in an oval (code changes each week so they use a template). The first two number is the week of the year, the second is the year.

For example, today's date code is 3517. This is the 35th week of 2017.

• Like 3

thanks enigma-2. I'm unfortunately too familiar with tire date codes........... that would be an entirely different post......

Of course I'd prefer to know there's no date code issue "presale" and I'm a guessing that info isn't going to be readily available in a TIrerack online purchase or or even if I call them to place an order

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

About 28K miles on the tires now. Fronts are less then 5/32nds outside grove and more than 4/32nds inside groves center. The rears are at 7/32nds. Tires have never been rotated. I should make it to the November time frame and then ditch the fronts and install my snow tires then in the spring buy two new tires and put the older set in the front to wear them out next year.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello all, Has anyone tried or used the Nexen Roadian AT PRO RA8. It has good reviews and a good price. Just thought i would probe the audience to see if anyone has used them. And i wasn't sure if it would be good for highway travel. The reviews said it drives great on highways, but it does look a little rugged. lol

Thanks