any advantage to swapping coil packs from front to rear when changing plugs

Randall Carlisle

I have read that the heat issue on the rear coils is what causes them to fail. I am at 100K and am getting ready to do new plugs. Would it be better to put hte 100K coil packs from the back to the front? That would put the ones with the most heat cycles up front in the cool and the ones that have been cooler in the back.

I read and watched the vids when I first got the Edge in 12/16. And now it's time to actually do it so I'm reading up again.

Thanks

Randy

Seems a better idea to me, but waiting for he collective knowledge to ring in. Put the most worn (heat cycles) ones in the front, so if they do fail, they will be easier to access. And the ones in the back should be better than the old ones. Or you could replace them with new if you wanted, while in there. I'll probably stay with the OEMs, since they are working.

Unless there is some kind of spiritual imprinting that would preclude moving them around. Mojo and all that, ya know.

heat is indeed the operating theory since for multiple reasons the COPs on bank 1 do not see as much airflow as those on bank 2. I think of it much like rotating tires, to maximize life of all the tires, and replace all as a set when the time does come. Yes, there is still risk a coil on bank 1 could fail regardless of origin. All we can do is try!

• 2 months later...

For the record, I did this on 7/15 at 103,066 miles. We'll see if we have any failures. Front coil packs to back and back to front. Replaced with Iridium plugs, because I hope to never do them again. If I double the mileage, I'll probably be ready to get rid of it by then. I haven't added 10K miles since we bought it in Dec, so I feel pretty good about that. We had a trip to MS for 1500 miles in one week. Probably won't do that in the Edge again.

The plugs were the OEMs I suspect. They were the OEM # and had a gap that was around DOUBLE the spec. I'm hoping that my mileage will increase at least a little. The Edge pulled hard before so I don;t get any seat-of-the-pants improvement that I can tell.

Plug change took around 5 hours, from time we were ready to go get parts til finished. Of course, our neighbor called and talked for 1/2 hour and it took 1.5 hours to find a gasket set in stock. UGH. Rock Auto next time. Went to 4 different stores before finding one in stock. So that's 2 hours doing nothing really. After that, everything went fairly smoothly. No surprises.

• Like 2