AC Suddenly Stopped Blowing Cold Air

If equipped with a tow-package, The fans operate independently and modulate speed from 0-100%. If malfunctioning, sometimes the operative fan will lock on at 100% speed (annoying), indicating the PCM's inability to control the fan speed, this is an intentional tattle-tale. The other fan is usually unresponsive of the fan module is DOA.

Abbreviated testing:

With the tow package, start the engine with the A/C disengaged. Open the hood and look at the two fans. When the engine is cold, neither fan will be running. Cycle your A/C on and off, notice which fan follows the A/C request, Your compressor clutch will also lock up. Turn your A/C off and allow your engine to warm up. A radiator fan will eventually start. If it is the same fan as your A/C fan, then your primary fan may have failed. Start the A/C, your compressor may run for a short while and then disengage. If the other fan never starts or cycles, it's time for a new fan assembly (or a fan control module).

Thanks autom8r.

In the past 1-2 years I have noticed that my A/C wouldn't be as cold during idle as compared when driving & had attributed this to the car getting older (now 6 years & 68k miles). Reading your post got thinking I might have a Fan issue as I have been noticing that the fan was not becoming annoyingly noisy in the summer as I remember. I do have the factory Tow Package (with 2x 40A fuses) so Tested it as per your quoted post. Now just to note I do not have any overheating issue, only A/C in idle has noticeable reduced cooling, especially when temperature reaches exceed 110F.

With the engine cold (or warm in our 106 F climate today), with no A/C no fan would be running. Starting the A/C caused both fans to run, though the driver side was blowing more air. Without A/C, also both Fans would run, but quieter (slower speed), still driver side blowing more air.

As per ForScan lite, the FANDC & FAN_DSD, both readings are ~ 92% with A/C on & both would vary together with A/C off (in short testing from 18-35%).

Does the above indicate I have one bad fan? The passenger side which is slower than the driver side? I also noticed it is the one closer to the exhaust manifold & has some heat shield on the motor, giving me the impression it faces more stress. It is the original fan that came in the car, never replaced. Any other test I could do to confirm it is bad?

Usually I would attribute this to a low engine coolant/AC refrigerant issue (idle performance). The fans seem to be working as designed. The A/C system has been checked for leaks, yes?

Have you ever had the evaporator serviced? I can only imagine what the drain tube goes through in the Middle East. Also, check the fan readings you get when starting with engine already at normal operating temperature.

• Like 1

We are now sitting at day 16 in the shop waiting an more transmission parts. I believe they said the are replacing the center carrier in the transmission again which was replaced last June. Thankfully I still have a loaner. I had to give back the Escape to enterprise due to Extended warranty only covering 10 days, but the dealer was nice enough to give me a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT Demo Car. I hope to have my car back soon, but as long as I have a loaner car I can't complain.

• Like 1

Thanks autom8r.

In the past 1-2 years I have noticed that my A/C wouldn't be as cold during idle as compared when driving & had attributed this to the car getting older (now 6 years & 68k miles). Reading your post got thinking I might have a Fan issue as I have been noticing that the fan was not becoming annoyingly noisy in the summer as I remember. I do have the factory Tow Package (with 2x 40A fuses) so Tested it as per your quoted post. Now just to note I do not have any overheating issue, only A/C in idle has noticeable reduced cooling, especially when temperature reaches exceed 110F.

With the engine cold (or warm in our 106 F climate today), with no A/C no fan would be running. Starting the A/C caused both fans to run, though the driver side was blowing more air. Without A/C, also both Fans would run, but quieter (slower speed), still driver side blowing more air.

As per ForScan lite, the FANDC & FAN_DSD, both readings are ~ 92% with A/C on & both would vary together with A/C off (in short testing from 18-35%).

Does the above indicate I have one bad fan? The passenger side which is slower than the driver side? I also noticed it is the one closer to the exhaust manifold & has some heat shield on the motor, giving me the impression it faces more stress. It is the original fan that came in the car, never replaced. Any other test I could do to confirm it is bad?

Omar:

Sorry for my late response.

I think that your issue may be more related to the size and ability of the AC condenser to reject heat into a 106F environment. I would check for proper airflow through the condenser, and make sure that it is not plugged.

The AC system (R134a) is likely designed to work within a 20F temperature differential between saturated vapor condensing temperature of the refrigerant (160PSI, 115F) and the ambient outdoor temperature (approx. 95F). The higher the ambient temperature, the narrower the range and the more difficult it is to reject heat into the atmosphere.

Here's a quick test, with the AC on, soak your AC condenser with water from a garden hose and see if the air leaving the AC vents inside the cabin gets cooler. If it does, then it's a condenser sizing issue.

When you soak your condenser with water, the surface of the condenser will approach the wet bulb temperature of the air which is always lower than the dry bulb temperature of the air, especially in the desert. This will simulate a lower ambient condensing temperature.

In a nutshell, Ford didn't design the AC systems in our cars to handle high ambient temperatures. Basically, not enough heat transfer is taking place. I'm also under the assumption that the refrigerant charge is at factory level. That is another discussion.

The fans will help, but not much. At highway speeds there is enough airflow to "convect" the heat off of the condenser. All things being equal, you don't have the problem at night when it's cooler or during the winter, (at temperatures less than 95F ambient) right?

As for your fans, they seem okay to me.

Happy trails.

• Like 2

Thanks autom8r, the next day while sitting in a long traffic wait with temperature of about 110F my AC started blowing hot air. Once moving AC ran again, so I decided to change the cooling fans. Immediately after installing the new fans I got the old high noise of the fan, and in the next couple of days AC has been running fine. Seems my old fans were just not reaching the high speeds as they were before. Also being a 6 year old car, and with several members in the US reporting fan problems, it just seemed mine have reached the end of their life.

• Like 2

Thanks autom8r, the next day while sitting in a long traffic wait with temperature of about 110F my AC started blowing hot air. Once moving AC ran again, so I decided to change the cooling fans. Immediately after installing the new fans I got the old high noise of the fan, and in the next couple of days AC has been running fine. Seems my old fans were just not reaching the high speeds as they were before. Also being a 6 year old car, and with several members in the US reporting fan problems, it just seemed mine have reached the end of their life.

I'm glad it worked out. I suppose that the motors do get tired.

• Like 1

Here is an update on the Edge. Got a call from the service advisor Monday saying that ford approved the replacement of the Valve Body and it was on order. The part came in yesterday and was installed this morning. I get another call this afternoon, 6/7/2017, and it is still giving them really harsh downshifts from 6th to 4th gear say in a passing situation on the highway. So they are going to do another write up to ford and get approval to replace the whole darn transmission. Hopefully the dealership will hear from their engineers by Friday afternoon. I do have to say I really feel like the dealership is doing me right and I hope that I will have the car in working order by next Thursday or I will have to postpone my trip to Colorado. They are letting me take the loaner F-150 to my parents which I think is very generous of them considering it is a 400+ mile round trip.

• Like 1

So now I have another fear. The transmission will be in to the dealership at the earliest on Friday but most likely on Monday. They have said middle to end of next week it should be ready. My fear is that what if this does not fix the issue or another issue pops up what else could go wrong. If I get it back on the 22nd then that will be 49 days. I am going to cross my fingers and hope. If I get my it back I am planning on leaving on June the 26th for vacation to Colorado so I sure hope it goes smooth so I can leave on time. I have already pushed back my trip once so we shall see.

Edited by tamugrad2013

Well I got her back and she is running like new. So excited to have my baby back. AC is running ice cold the transmission is running smooth as can be and the turbo is doing the turbos job although I did not have it when the turbo went out. Im on top of the world :jump_earth: right now and am so excited to get out on with my vacation. YAHOO!!!!!

• Like 1