Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Edge 2011 Back Trunk handle cover

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ramon_linux

ramon_linux

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hi all,

The trunk handle cover of my wife's Ford Edge is cracked and I want to know where (online shopping) I can get a replacement. 

Thanks,

PS.  Sorry for my English

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,505 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ebay. Chrome & carbon fiber are inexpensive (re: http://m.ebay.com/it...ge/182239176976

#3 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

My 2013 SEL hasn't cracked on the exterior flange like yours. Rather, mine cleanly snapped at one of the 2 brass threaded fittings mould into the back of the plastic handle. A coworker with a 2012 SEL cracked worse than yours, again on the same side, bottom corner. In both of our cases, abrasion rust had started below the handle flange. You'd be best to not just cover over the handle with a suggested $10 eBay cap, but remove and address the possibility of rust.

I'm leaning towards an assembly line issue of possible over torque of the 2 bolts retaining the plastic handle from inside. Secret! You're not bolting down a control arm or wheel nut guys! Over time with vibration and the leverage action as the gate is opened and closed, along with weather and other elements of driving (road grime and slush/salt) we see the issues a couple of years later.

So what to do? Well in my case, my challenge is different than yourself and my coworker. My mounting point behind was a clean snap. I simply removed the interior gate plastics and unbolted the handle and disconnected the electric button harness. I then cleaned the parts thoroughly and used 2 part epoxy glue to put it back as original. It's only been a couple of days now, but it's holding. I cross my fingers, but if it releases again, I'll fibreglass patch it and that'll do it I'm certain.

The thin foam self adhesive gasket applied between the plastic and the painted metal creeps and failed eventually as well. Mine had slid down and creeped and wasn't even acting as a barrier and support for the plastic against the door skin. I believe the stability of the plastic handle actually depends on the successful application of this gasket. I rebuilt myself a new gasket with some rubbery electrical tape. It was approximately the same thickness as the gasket I removed. I didn't use the cheaper black vinyl tape since I wanted the tackiness of the rubber tape to assist in the adhesion of the handle to the painted metal. Final assembly be careful  not to over-torque the 2 mounting bolts.

Why did I choose to repair this myself, rather than approach Ford for my extended warranty repair. Well, recently I was into a dealer for another warranty repair and didn't have a regarded "nice" experience. So frankly, unless it's a major issue like a transmission or engine or other expensive electronics, Ford can stuff it.

Why did I not go and buy a new part which is readily available? Again, Ford can stuff it for $200 CDN plus tax.

So folks quote me... "The more you see, the more you have ah-ha moments and learn about this friggin' Edge".

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and omar302 like this

#4 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

I'll post images if anyone wants

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#5 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Please do, we love photo-stories!

#6 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

You know I must retract that Ford can suck it. Rather the dealership I have been loyal to and dealing with has turned on me.

If they actually cared about us as customers, and go through the trouble of follow ups after the service, then follow through IF the customer had concerns. Don't bug me, not hear the answers you hoped to your questions, and then disappear.

Pics to come later today.

• CARR142, WWWPerfA_ZN0W and omar302 like this

#7 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

Pics

Attached Files