Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

2013 SE with sport 22 inch rims is a slug

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Someone probably has the answers. I had a Se 17 inch stick set of rims I ended find a great deal and now it has the factory 22 inch for the sport trim with 265 40 22 tires.
When I switched it is now a slug when driving I know the sport trim is a taller setup and altogether diameter but I have to drive in s mode on the transmission just to have normal driving conditions or the transmission is always shifting as soon as I hit slight incline. I wonder if I can have a dealer flash the computer and give me a sport trim tune. I don't want to buy aftermarket turner but my shift point feeling like I'm towing a 50 ft boat behind me head up pikes peak

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,023 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

The 22s are heavier wheels compared to the 17s.  Not sure exactly how much, but possibly 10-15 lbs per wheel.  More weight that needs more power to move.  But it shouldn't feel like a 50 ft boat.  Perhaps the non-Sport compliant suspension makes it feel that way?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 16 May 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

If you had 235-65-17's. The 22's are a little more then 1 inch taller. Taller, heavier and wider = less power, less gas mileage, speedometer off about 3mph in your case. But it's not like you put a 4x4 size tire on. Strange to me that it would feel that bad. I'd like to see some pics of before and after.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#4 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 667 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

The additional size changes the apparent overall gear ratio.  In this case, the new wheels are a little over 4.5% larger so that's like changing the stock 3.16 rear end ratio down to 3.02.  That's a noticeable change.  A Sport model with the larger wheels would have come with a 3.39 gear ratio from the factory.

#5 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Good point!  I had assumed Ford kept the overall height the same, but not so.

https://www.tacomawo...65r17-265-40r22

#6 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,582 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

You should be able to program the new tire size, either yourself using ForScan or through a dealer. The AWD Sport had a shorter final drive ration (3.39) compared to the SE's (3.16), so that would definitely have an effect. Also the 22" are considerably heavier. No wonder early reveiws stated that SEL's were quicker than the Sport even though it had a larger engine.

#7 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Great info forscan what is it an app or reader? It is causing my transmission to be gear searching constantly it is a pain in ass. Makes since that an actual sport model has different ratio it also effect rise quality as well. It feels like I'm driving a tank. thanks for all the replies I get good info on here. My current fix is driving is S mode on trans and keeps RPMs higher and limits gear searching 0-60 time is 20 seconds

#8 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,582 posts
  • Region:Middle East

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

ForScan

Here is an old thread regarding the weights. 22" Stock was about 77-80 lbs each, 18" were about 58-60 lbs.

#9 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Forscan is an app for use in conjunction with an OBD II reader to read and/or change some of the system programming.  Changing the tire/wheel size in the programming will correct your speedometer and probably help with the transmission gear searching but it won't help with the overall slowness.  Only a physical change (such as gears) will do that.

20 seconds to 60 mph?  I've seen school buses faster than that!  (literally... at a "run what you brung" drag strip event).

#10 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,968 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

0-60 time is 20 seconds

Something is wrong and it isn't the tire size.   Perhaps something is rubbing somewhere.

#11 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I actually put a set of 30 mm wheel adapters on so no rubbing. I'm going to look into updating the tire size in the computer I've never used a odb2 or see what a dealer would charge here is a pic also look at how small the rotor look in it funny. Do you guys know is the suspension completely different setup for sports such as struts or beefier components I would like to also improve ride

Attached Files

• Tightanium likes this

#12 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,489 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

IT is all in the wheels.  Leverage is key.  More weight and more diameter takes more HP.   If these sport folks were to put 18 inch wheel on their Edge sports they would think they were ready for the drag strip.

• Ntrain2k likes this

#13 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

I agree that the wheels can make a big difference but 20 seconds to 60 mph is excessive.  We're talking about less than 5% loss of mechanical advantage due to the change in wheel size yet the 0-60 time is more than double the rated time of somewhere in the 7 second range.

#14 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

The weight was noticeable when I had them shipped UPS big bill!. I've had them on for 10,000 miles I did an alignment right after install around the 2000 mile mark I had a lot of vibration and had to replace inner and outer tie rods then had another alignment. I'm think faster/sooner suspension wear on everything. What do you guys think since I'm running heavier and taller setup

#15 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,968 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

Does seem excessive just based on wheels.  When you let off the gas does it coast normally or does it slow down quickly?

#16 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Wheel balancing (road force/laser) is very important esp with heavy wheels.  The springs and front stabilizer bar are likely different on the Sport than the SE/SEL/etc. that have up to 18" wheels.  The steering gear is also different.  At least they were when I was researching for the 2007-10 MYs.  Tie rods, control arms are the same.  I would say to have the wheels checked at a wheel shop for trueness and lack of structural defects if the vibration re-manifests.

The weight was noticeable when I had them shipped UPS big bill!. I've had them on for 10,000 miles I did an alignment right after install around the 2000 mile mark I had a lot of vibration and had to replace inner and outer tie rods then had another alignment. I'm think faster/sooner suspension wear on everything. What do you guys think since I'm running heavier and taller setup

#17 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,968 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Heavier wheels would probably dictate heavier springs but I don't know if the OEM sport wheels are that much heavier so it's hard to say.   Same for shocks.

The problem is you don't really know how those stock parts will perform with your non-stock wheels.  Ford goes to a lot of trouble to match the OEM setups so you get a consistent feel whether you have 18s, 19s, 20s or 22s.   Just changing one piece of the puzzle can yield bad results.

#18 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Do you have your 17's still? Put them back on and see if it's fast again.

#19 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

The way it worked out I got the set on eBay shipped and all for around 900$ then sold the 17's for around $300 it was almost too good of a deal I did not anticipate the drop in response time or the tank like ride but they look good.

#20 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for your responses it was very Helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users