2 Week old Edge Sport with steering issue

We just picked up a 2017 Edge Sport last week and it has some funky steering. Working on getting a service appointment to have it checked out, but thought I would check here to see if anybody had similar issues.

The best way to describe it is, it feels like the tires are catching a groove in the road (but they aren't). We drive Highway 4 a lot, 50-60 mph, long sweeping turns. You will be going through a turn, with a steady pressure on the steering wheel, and all of a sudden the resistance will change which causes you to turn a little sharper. Like I said, it almost feels like the tire catches a groove and pulls a little tighter into the corner, but it isn't. It is definitely the steering that changes resistance causing you to adjust your steering.

Has anybody felt anything like it?

• Like 1

Sounds like you have the lane-control feature turned on... On the end/tip of your turn signal lever, check to see if there is a button. Then look at the left dash indicator - you will see a pair of little lane markers appear or disappear. I'm 99% positive this is what you're experiencing.

I encountered the very same problem in the first day or two of owning mine.. What you're describing is exactly how it feels. Note - the lane keeping system works by detecting the lines to the left and right of your vehicle.. If you use your turn signal it will not engage because the vehicle knows that the lane change is intentional (unless of course you use your right signal and change to the left lane).

Give it a test!

Edit: I should also mention that you can adjust this in the vehicle setup screens. You can make it so it gives you an alarm or the physical wheel adjustment (what you're feeling). Also, you can adjust the "strength" of the adjustment it gives you..

post-46517-0-71688100-1495738576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sport17
  • Like 2

We just picked up a 2017 Edge Sport last week and it has some funky steering. Working on getting a service appointment to have it checked out, but thought I would check here to see if anybody had similar issues.

The best way to describe it is, it feels like the tires are catching a groove in the road (but they aren't). We drive Highway 4 a lot, 50-60 mph, long sweeping turns. You will be going through a turn, with a steady pressure on the steering wheel, and all of a sudden the resistance will change which causes you to turn a little sharper. Like I said, it almost feels like the tire catches a groove and pulls a little tighter into the corner, but it isn't. It is definitely the steering that changes resistance causing you to adjust your steering.

Has anybody felt anything like it?

Curious - did you get it figured out?

I'm also curious to see if anything more came of this issue. It sounds like it could be an alignment issue. If the front tires are not aligned properly, and are essentially aiming in slightly different directions, the car can feel like its pulling in one direction or another, based on which front tire is dominating at the time.

• Like 1

I'm also curious to see if anything more came of this issue. It sounds like it could be an alignment issue. If the front tires are not aligned properly, and are essentially aiming in slightly different directions, the car can feel like its pulling in one direction or another, based on which front tire is dominating at the time.

Being a new car I'm 99.9999999% certain it's the lane-keeping system. Like I mentioned, I felt the exact same sensation before realizing I had enabled the LKS. It's just doing what it's supposed to. Still, I agree - I'd like to hear back to make sure that's all it was. I've noticed a few posters commenting on problems with brand-new vehicles and it's a bit unnerving.

I didn't even think of that, but yes, make sure its not just the lane keeping assist kicking in. I cant stand it, if you try to switch lanes without signalling while its active, it fights back and if you aren't ready for it, could cause an accident.

• Like 1

I believe that the Lane Keep System has two levels of support. You can adjust the system in the settings function of the left hand display to either vibrate the steering wheel or actually torque the wheel in an effort to maintain the lane.

• Like 1

Learn to signal, like you're supposed to. It's not hard, it's courteous, and it's the right thing to do.

In my case (edit: and I can't speak for others), it came on during a highway exit (clover-leaf - after which I had already signaled to exit). Very long, spread-out exit and I was adjusting to the new driving style (compared to a lifted Wrangler). I was just getting used to a new vehicle with 6 miles on it. I use turn signals religiously. Love them. Also, Cruise control!! Wish I could have got the auto-cruise adjusty thingy.

Edit, edit: I think everyone here would agree that using turn signals is not hard, courteous and the right thing to do! I certainly agree.

Edited by Sport17
  • Like 1

Another case of the OP not coming back to update this thread? I guess that means he figured it out.

FWIW, the alignment on my Sport was way off when I took delivery. I test drove the white one on the lot because I would have picked it up on the test drive. I ended up disabling the lane keep assist as I found it to be absolutely annoying as hell on our crumbling roads where it thinks everything is a line.

Bought new Edge Sport September 2016, had steering fault light come on intermittently for a month or so. Dealer turned off and thought was a blip in electronics.

January 2017 after 3k miles negotiating parked car steering wheel turned 90 degrees and stayed there whilst driving straight ! limped car to nearest car park, parked up re started car and wheel automatically re aligned itself with the front wheels !!. Took immediately to dealer who agreed car should NOT be driven and gave me a courtesy car. after 3 weeks got fed up with courtesy car as too small and dealer had no information when car could be fixed saying waiting for Ford technical to call them with software module update patch to be applied to vehicle. After complaining had Ford Kuga supplied by Ford from Enterprise rental, still NO update from Ford technical ! After car had been in dealer for 2 Months finally got back end of February. Have now done 8.5k and have not had issue since, 2 new steering wheels and a software module update later !

NOTE: played up to FORD FINANCE and got compensation package for loss of use of vehicle !!!

Have to say though steering is fantastic after driving other SUV'S !

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I know OP has not come back, but anyone else with a similar issue? I statred getting a similar feeling now at about 14,000 Km. It is not the Lane Keep assist, though it does feel similar. Tries resetting by disconnecting the battery and checking alignment. Everything is ok. Also no codes found using ForScan, so I know that the reply I will get from the dealer is that they did not find any problems. The issue is not very apparent, but it is unsettling. Mainly when taking a long curve, it feels like the steering wheel would want to hold onto that path with no force (torque) to return the wheel to the center which is the normal feeling when driving through a curve. Even for a brief moment if i let go of the steering it will remain turned (and the car) for a second or so. 

We did just have a 2016 that has to have the steering gear replaced.  Here are the symptoms in the owner's exact words:

"About 2 weeks ago, I started hearing a rubbing noise when turning the wheel to the left. I waited about 2 days before calling the dealership, but they're always booked out 10-14 days. Within 4 days of the initial onset of the left turn rubbing, it started rubbing when I turned the wheel to the right. The rubbing noise was really the only symptom I got, but it was very loud after a week...and it happened every single time I turned the wheel. "

Probably not the same issue as in this thread, but thought I would add it anyway, just in case it is happening, just not noticed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We just bought a 2020 ST and one of the first things I did was turn off the Lane-Keeping correction feature. The Electronics check out guy at dealership suggested keeping it on and I said "no thanks". I did leave it in the warning mode. It just seems scary to think the car could turn on it's own. I never want a self driving car!  This thread just confirms how I felt about the L-K feature. Really liking the car so far. Like the planted feeling it has on the road similar to two Preludes we have owned. We drove several other SUVs, and when we drove a low mileage 2015 Sport there was no turned back, even though we are in our late 70's. Wife's 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3 V8 was totaled Saturday when she was T-boned by a red light runner. She even at 79 likes vroom-vroom. We would have bought the 2015 except for two things, it was brought down from Canada and had rust on all of the rotor hubs.