Mother's speed clay product?

I just saw this (new?) product from Mother's. I have only used their standard clay bar, but it appears that this product is a lot easier & quicker to use. Having said that, I have my doubts about a "Speed Clay". Can anyone confirm or reject the efficacy of this product?

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/17240.html?gclid=COf289Pei9QCFRGHswod7BQOhQ#qz7JlYovVovBlDfR.97

You still gotta take a 5 inch square piece of clay and rub it over every inch of paint. I don't see how it could be any faster or slower than any other type of clay.

No not with this product.It's not clay. Watch the video in the linked site.

Per Mother's site:

"Mothers® Speed™ Clay 2.0 is our fastest, most durable and versatile paint restoration and surface prep tool yet. This next generation contaminant removal process is so quick and easy, it’s as simple as washing or spray waxing your way to a perfectly clean, smooth and restored paint surface, ready for polishing and waxing. This patented, rubber polymer technology quickly shears off and removes both surface and embedded contaminants including paint overspray, water spots, fresh tree sap, rail dust, bird droppings, light oxidation and brake dust. Left alone, these particles can quickly cause molecular breakdown of your paint, leaving the finish dull and vulnerable to further deterioration. Speed Clay 2.0 will stop this damage and restore brilliance to your car’s paint, chrome, glass and smooth plastics."

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

I've done a bit of research on this product and there seems to be a general consensus that there is a slight difference between the Mothers Clay and their Speed Clay product. It appears that the actual clay is better for surfaces with older / more severe defects. The Speed Clay seems to be aimed @ less severe / better maintained surfaces.

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The baggie test will prove it works well & quickly, no major effort required. I do recommend a quality product to lubricate the areas being "clayed". Water or soapy water won't work as well.

I have used the baggie test for this comparison.

I've done a bit of research on this product and there seems to be a general consensus that there is a slight difference between the Mothers Clay and their Speed Clay product. It appears that the actual clay is better for surfaces with older / more severe defects. The Speed Clay seems to be aimed @ less severe / better maintained surfaces.

I found a store that had the Mothers Speed Clay 2 on sale so I bought one. I used it with Mothers car soap and followed the directions found on the back of the Speed Clay package and found it to be really easy to use, but as my research indicated it is not as aggressive as their normal clay bar. After washing I did the trunk panel on my S2000 and did one half with the Speed Clay 2 and the other half with the reg. Mothers claybar. One pass with the normal clay product provided a clean, smooth, pass of a new baggie. After several passes of the Speed2 product the surface was very much improved, but when the "baggie test" was performed multiple defects could be felt. A follow up with the normal clay product removed these and the entire panel passed the baggie test. So I guess my call is that if you have some very light defects to correct the Speed Clay is a quick way to attack it. If on the other hand your problem is tree sap or other such defect you would be better served with a reg. clay bar product.

Just in case you are not familiar with the baggie test here is what that is all about: Simply place a clean thinner sandwich over your hand and lightly rub a body panel. Its use reveals a super sensitive feel for surface defects on any given panel on your vehicle. If you have never used this test, try it you might be amazed.

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you what not to do which go onto eBay and buy a low cost blue clay bar for China for $1.50. I ended up getting a chunk of some sort of cancer causing rubber. stick with mothers normal clay bar after I was the car With dawn to strip old wax sealant just rub the clay onto of the soapy water area of what ever part of the car your on I don't use the quick detailer that comes with it. I think the soapy dawn suds give the clay more bite

As a follow up: I have now used the "speed clay" several times and it seems to be getting more clay like with each use. What I mean is that the surface is getting softer and stickier with each additional use. Who knows, maybe it will do a better, (more directly comparable to reg. clay products) job with additional use?

• Like 1