The longer you live, the more you learn...

I like my 2013 Edge FWD, but... the longer I own it, I'm not so impressed.

I recently purchased an Auto 619 that scans, albeit limited in scope, ABS/SRS CAN OBDII codes.

Today I scanned a fellow 2013 AWD Edge owner to help diagnose the ABS light and Traction Control light issue.

It returned C0030:07-68, Left Tone Wheel. Further research into the parts etc I'd determined it as a possible fix for a backyard mechanic. Rather it would be...

IF YOU COULD simply purchase a new Tone Wheel or Ring like you can for other vehicles, including other Fords such as the Escape!

BUT No, Ford doesn't sell just the ring for $10-$20 each. They, as well as aftermarket sources ONLY sell the full half shaft at a cost of minimum $200+.

Ford, naughty naughty.

Once this vehicle is gone from my ownership... I will be looking elsewhere for my next vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I saw the write up, and I found it quite good in fact.

But that's not my point. In this day and age of disposable items, it seems more and more manufacturers are choosing to NOT make simple parts replaceable. Rather, choosing to download the cost of more complex parts to the end user. I don't know about you, but I don't appreciate the excess cost of ownership on of a piece of... Well. I'll leave it at that.

As for buying a BMW or Mercedes. Not in the books for me. I want to purchase my parts I use to work on my vehicle easily, at any locate OEM stealership, Canadian Tire, NAPA etc. at reasonable prices. I also want to try and support the home team. Hence why I bought an Edge.

• Like 1

It's not a matter of not making simple parts replaceable. A tone ring should almost never break like that in the first place. It would be silly to design something to be replaceable then never have to actually replace it. It's just not practical from a manufacturing standpoint. It does suck when there is a supplier defect or something causes a part to fail but I think that's fairly rare.

Now if this was a Bronco that's expected to go off-road I'd expect a different approach to parts that might get damaged.

I replaced both front axles on my 2007 complete with tone rings for about $100 bucks. These were new not rebuilt and were manufactured in the U.S. by Detroit Axle. They have been in the car for 3 years and are perfect.

Try EBay and look up 2013 ford edge axles, FWD run about 100 bucks for the pair. The axles are the same for 07 thru 14.

With the proper tools (air impact) the two axles took about 1 1/2 hours.

To replace the tone ring you would have to remove the axle anyway. You can buy each side individually for about $50.

• Like 1

No, I think the tone ring actually snaps due to rust accumulation under it. Poor design for vehicles that are exposed to winter weather driving (salt, sand etc).

But that's my point. They weren't expected to fail like that so no provision was made for easy field replacement. If the design was proper they wouldn't need to be replaced.

• Like 1

"...that's not my point. In this day and age of disposable items, it seems more and more manufacturers are choosing to NOT make simple parts replaceable…"

The same thing happened to my girlfriend's '11 MKX. I had to have replace both half shafts because the ABS brake reluctor ring broke and isn't sold separately. The manufacturers choose to build stuff like that for one simple reason: to sell more parts. :swear:

and

"macbwt" said:

"I would suggest a used Mercedes or BMW. I hear they are pretty much trouble free."

​Ha!…That's what you​ think heh?… Well you'll be in for a BIG of a surprise when the time comes to replace something on them!… Just wait and see! :lol:

Claude.

OK, price for Detroit units looks great. In US$ though, and then being up here in Canada... well. Shipping etc is out of the question. I can bet the price for an aftermarket IF I could find one up north here would be, again, somewhere close to a couple hundred Loonies.

Just crap. Plain Crap no matter which way it's sliced.

• Like 1

Detroit Axle has kinda' a spotty record IIRC. Some of the guys in the Explorer group really like their products, others said they were crap. (But I suppose that could be said of any product..) Just do your own due diligence on the particular part to see of there are any complaints about that specific unit. One guys said he used their CV axle and it snapped after a few months use. His feedback was that it was a cast axle and not a milled axle. I cannot verify either way but I would think that a milled axle should be standard on a CV axle. (Anyone with machining experience please chime in.) Also, a quick call to Detroit Axle asking them that question should put the issue to bed, eh?

At any rate, I hope things turn out ok for you.

• Like 1