PTU service at dealership

Today I had my 2016 sport PTU serviced at my local Ford dealership. They charged my .5 hour labor (which I thought was fair enough) to drain and fill the unit. My service rep said they also use a vacuum device to get everything out of the PTU so that absolutely nothing is left and you get a fresh fill. I plan to do this at least every 15k miles as long as I own this car.

I am really relieved that it was as easy as talking to my service rep and having it done. When I inquired before this - they made it sound like it was going to be a hassle - IF they would even agree to perform the service.

• Like 1

Many moons ago I might have crawled under the beast and done this myself. These days I find less and less time to do these kinds of things. I am thankful for my local service rep (who I coached in football as a lad). He always treats me right.

Edited by TourGuide
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Was at the dealership yesterday, asked the service rep about having the fluid changed in the PTU. He told me they never do that. Told him I've had it done here twice now .... deer in the headlights look.

That would make me question if they really did change the oil in your car & not having only charged you it.

When I had this done I did have to tell my service rep about the drain plug on the gen 2 PTU. These service rep guys have a lot to keep up with. We have one model of vehicle we are thinking about getting good service for - they are responsible for all of them. Fortunately I know my guy - and he listens to me - that makes all the difference.

The gen 1 PTU is what the reps were being weird about servicing. I even called around to some mom and pop transmission shops and they wouldn't perform the service either. Whether that is laziness, or not wanting the 'liability' I cannot say.

Edited by TourGuide