Leaving fob in car ??

I'm still learning new locking operations, that's good to know. I did find out by accident that leaving the car running and exiting with the fob will lock the car automatically and sound the horn twice, that's a nice feature on cold mornings where I have to go back into the house for something. .

I'm still learning new locking operations, that's good to know. I did find out by accident that leaving the car running and exiting with the fob will lock the car automatically and sound the horn twice, that's a nice feature on cold mornings where I have to go back into the house for something. .

Are you sure it will lock the car? It should not.

Are you sure it will lock the car? It should not.

I'll try it again but I stopped to talk to a neighbor, he wanted to show me something so I left it running, I got out of the car and walked away with the fob in my pocket, heard the horn beep twice (maybe it was once but I thought it was twice) when I was about 10 feet from the car, When I went back to the car I could hear the door unclick when I touched the handle. Why else would the horn sound just like when you push lock twice on the fob? I'll check back tomorrow when I can try it again.

I'll try it again but I stopped to talk to a neighbor, he wanted to show me something so I left it running, I got out of the car and walked away with the fob in my pocket, heard the horn beep twice (maybe it was once but I thought it was twice) when I was about 10 feet from the car, When I went back to the car I could hear the door unclick when I touched the handle. Why else would the horn sound just like when you push lock twice on the fob? I'll check back tomorrow when I can try it again.

The horn sounds twice to notify you that the car is running and you have the fob. Sure you didnt touch the sensor on outside the door to lock. It does not lock the doors when you leave with the fob

The horn sounds twice to notify you that the car is running and you have the fob. Sure you didnt touch the sensor on outside the door to lock. It does not lock the doors when you leave with the fob

I guess that solves it then but why would the horn beep to let you know you left it running? Someone would have to be pretty clueless to 'not know' their engine was running and just walk away. I just 'assumed' it was locked or I closed the door with my hand on the handle when i got out? That would be a nice feature though if it did work the way I described.

I guess that solves it then but why would the horn beep to let you know you left it running? Someone would have to be pretty clueless to 'not know' their engine was running and just walk away. I just 'assumed' it was locked or I closed the door with my hand on the handle when i got out? That would be a nice feature though if it did work the way I described.

2 reasons:

1 - many people have died from CO poisoning because they left the engine running in the garage. Most are elderly but it's not that difficult to do if you're distracted given most engines today are very quiet at idle.

2 - it is alerting you so that you don't inadvertently drive off without a fob. Let's say your wife is driving and thinks she has her fob in her purse but does not. You have your fob in your pocket. She drops you off at work and drives away without a fob. The vehicle will keep running until she turns it off but once it's off for more than 20 seconds she can't restart it and if she's not at home she's now stranded. You do get a message in the dash that there is no key and another one tells you to restart within 20 seconds but those don't always get read.

The unlocking sound happens even if it's already unlocked. You can check the red LEDs to see if it's really locked or not. If you want it locked you have to lock it yourself. Some mfrs have this autolock feature and I would like it too, but not Ford.

You can avoid the honks by not closing the door all the way, turning the vehicle off or leaving the fob in the vehicle. Or delete it with Forscan.

• Like 2