Struts- which to buy

In general from what I have seen mentioned here in the group, most people go with either the Motorcraft OEM or KYB. Motorcraft simply because its OEM and provides the OEM ride, and KYB because its a little bit stiffer and provides more 'sportier' suspension performance. Either one should be just fine. Don't seem to hear many folks mention the Gabriels although I understand they make a quality product. I'm sure you probably would be just fine with any of them. Others may have a different opinion.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up. This past weekend i decided to tackle the front struts and mounts. I decided to just go with OEM Motorcraft struts and mounts. Entire job took me about 3.5 hours; would have been quicker if i had a spare set of hands lol

I did not take the cowling off for easier access to the top of the strut mounts. I tried; but i could not get the wiper arm loose.; so i took off as much as i could but was able to use an open ended wrench on what i could not use a socket on.

No more popping noise during turns! So thats a huge plus!

Thanks again for all the help and support!!

• Like 2

Has anyone installed a set of Monroe OE Spectrums??? I'm thinkin that Ford probably uses the cheapest junk out there and almost any aftermarket strut will be way better then stock.

I doubt that. Ford does the engineering specification for the struts and bids it out to several vendors. I would imagine the vendor with the lowest price, which still meets their specifications, gets the contract. But I seriously doubt that they are "cheap" (in the usual sense). Each strut is designed for each specific vehicle. Aftermarket has to match a great number of makes, models and designs. Motorcraft is tuned for a specific feel, aftermarket are stiffer because of the diversity they are required to meet.

------

As an unrelated fact while looking up the struts for my MKX, Lincoln specs a different strut for 20" wheels than they do for 18"! That never occurred to me.

• Like 3

Has anyone installed a set of Monroe OE Spectrums??? I'm thinkin that Ford probably uses the cheapest junk out there and almost any aftermarket strut will be way better then stock.

I my self would not ever use a monroe shock. Go with OE motorcraft or the KYB's

• Like 1

I put a set of Monroe coil overs on my Explorer only because I had the dreaded 'explorer butt-sag.' They worked fine but nothing to write home about. And again, I only put them on because they were the cheapest coil over I could find. For a long term DD non-coil over shock, I would not use Monroes.

• Like 2

Didn't realize that Monroe was so bad these days. I always liked their Sensa-trac model and had them on many vehicles. I remember taking the fake Ranchos off my new 2003 F150 FX4 a month after I got it and installing a set of 4 Sensa-tracs. The roads in Michigan are so bad that I've always preferred softer shocks and springs. I no longer have my 2014 MKX but I really miss the soft ride compared to my 2011 SEL.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a follow up. This past weekend i decided to tackle the front struts and mounts. I decided to just go with OEM Motorcraft struts and mounts. Entire job took me about 3.5 hours; would have been quicker if i had a spare set of hands lol

I did not take the cowling off for easier access to the top of the strut mounts. I tried; but i could not get the wiper arm loose.; so i took off as much as i could but was able to use an open ended wrench on what i could not use a socket on.

No more popping noise during turns! So thats a huge plus!

Thanks again for all the help and support!!

Did you use a spring compressor at home or did you run them up to a shop???? Thinking of just renting a compressor kit from Advance.

I purchased a set from amazon. They were very easy to use, and extremely safe as they have safety's. Only wish i had an adapter for my drill instead of hand ratcheting the coil compressor; would have made it much easier. I personally would not pay to have a shop do it. I was nervous at first, but once i received the coil compressors i was rest assured. You can rent a kit as well, not sure the cost on that. I only used the compressor for about 15 mins; figured ill keep the tool around if needed in the future.

Where at in MI are you? If you arnt far, you can borrow mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMDPLM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by addisonm06
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I put monroe quick-struts on my 2010 Ford Edge sport. I had an issue with the driver side so i had to send it back to Rock Auto. A replacement is on its way. I had no issue with the passenger side. If the replacement has the same upper mount problem, then i will not use monroe ever again. I went with the quick-struts for ease of installation and thought the original mounts would need replacing soon anyway. This may not have been a good idea. I will keep you posted on the replacement.

Also, i found the installation of the drivers side was much harder than the passenger side. For some reason there is about a half inch issue to line up the bolts. This required a pry bar and an assistant. I thought maybe this was also an issue of the Monroe strut but when i had to put the original strut assembly back in, it was the same way.

I put monroe quick-struts on my 2010 Ford Edge sport. I had an issue with the driver side so i had to send it back to Rock Auto. A replacement is on its way. I had no issue with the passenger side. If the replacement has the same upper mount problem, then i will not use monroe ever again. I went with the quick-struts for ease of installation and thought the original mounts would need replacing soon anyway. This may not have been a good idea. I will keep you posted on the replacement.

Also, i found the installation of the drivers side was much harder than the passenger side. For some reason there is about a half inch issue to line up the bolts. This required a pry bar and an assistant. I thought maybe this was also an issue of the Monroe strut but when i had to put the original strut assembly back in, it was the same way.

Strange! I definitely did not have any issue lining up the bolts. Wonder if that is possibly a 2010 thing? Either way good luck!

• Like 1

If you have to use a pry bar you have the wrong part/Strut mount.

• Like 1

Not to steal the thread, but I seen an add in a magazine for Motorcraft quick struts (fully assembled strut assembly with new springs).

any links? i tried looking for an OEM assembly but had no luck. It was easy enough to compress the springs, but an out of box solutions would have been nice.