Taking Loaner F-150 on 2000 mile trip?

tamugrad2013

As you may have seen in a previous post I am currently in a 2017 Ford F-150 (dealer demo car I believe) since my car is in the shop. As of right now it has been in for 44 days and a new transmission should be in Monday and installed by Wednesday or Thursday. I have a trip scheduled since mid April before the car went in the shop. I am leaving on June the 25th and if my car is still not fixed is it wrong to take the truck? When I spoke to my service advisor about going home he said drive the truck as if it was my own which to me means since I have had this trip planned for so long and am no without my car use theirs. PS I already pushed the trip back once (I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow for a week), but since they said this should be the actual fix I pushed it back. I do not want to push it back again due to Traveling on July 4th (No Thank You) and my Airbnb cost goes up by 98 dollars.

Let's all just hope that my Edge will be put back together before next Saturday the 24th so this is a non issue.

The only reason I do not want to take the truck is it doesn't have factory nav. I know I can use a phone I just feel like factory navigation in easier to use.

Edited by tamugrad2013

Better check the contract you signed before taking out of state. Most contracts I've signed on loaners prohibited taking out of stste. Even Enterprise Rental limits you to only one state over. Take it two states and daily rate goes through roof and insurance is voided.

If dealer says no, be prepared to get a rental. (Make certain rental agency knows where car will be taken).

As your using your insurance, may wish to check with your agent to see if any problems in taking loaner or rental on trip. Some policies have restrictions.

Edited by enigma-2

I've inspected the loaner agreement and it does not have any mileage limits and only prohibits travel outside of the United States and Canada. There are no rental rates on the agreement from the dealership. Again I will still talk to the dealership Tuesday before I leave and will check with my insurance agent if I have to take the truck. I think it is only fair to use the loaner as I would use my own as I was directed by my service advisor especially since I have been without my car since May 11th.

• Like 1

I would take the truck. Personally, I would be a little uneasy about taking any vehicle immediately on a long trip after a major repair. I would want to drive it a little and make sure there aren't any issues. You are a long way from home and if you had to leave it with a unfamiliar dealer a long way from home, not good. Put the mileage on their truck.

• Like 1

Talked to the dealer and my insurance agent and If my edge is not back in my possession by the time I leave on Sunday morning I am good to go to take the truck. :happy feet: Now personally I really do want my own car back, but it is a relief that I do not have to worry if for some reason I do not get it back. I'll keep y'all posted on when I get my own car back.

• Like 1

Well it is a moot point anyway. I got my car back about two hours ago and it feels like new. If I knew how the transmission was supposed to really feel I would have never accepted it back the last time it was in the shop in June/July of 2016. It shifts so smoothly. I am looking forward to my trip more than ever now. It almost shifts so smoothly that the first time I drove it when I got it I though it wasn't shifting at all. :rockon:

• Like 1