Fluttering Noise from Undercarriage and Dashboad Rattle

2016 Ford Edge SEL

I purchased a new 2016 SEL from Ford and immediately noticed a "fluttering" noise or what sounded like a strap flopping around under the passenger side of the car. I crawled under thinking that maybe something was left loose, or a strap was flopping around in the wind under the body. I could not find anything obvious. I did see a long hard board with a felt like finish that covers the under-body with unique and noisy center connectors. I took the car in to a Lincoln dealership and they had already dealt with the same issue on a different but same year Edge. They told me it was the rattle in the center connector of under-body "felt" panels. They corrected the issue by installing some sort of buffer material in the fasteners. The noise is now gone. It was loud and annoying at times, in particular when heavy cross wind was coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. I chose to start this message because I know this concern is not unique to my vehicle. I travel for a living and often have Ford Edge rentals, and about 1 out 2 have the same noise. It must be a known issue to Ford, however the Lincoln service adviser said there is no TSB for this issue. I also had the Lincoln warranty service address what sounded like cheap plastic to plastic noises coming from the dash while traveling over rough road. They isolated the poorly designed fasteners and buffered them as well. The dash noise is now much improved. I am disappointed in Ford for first not building this vehicle better, this is not a first generation model and these types of issues should be long since engineered out of the platform in my opinion. This Ford Edge is far and above the most rattle and noise filled vehicle we have purchased from Ford and unfortunately lowers my sense of confidence in Ford overall. We paid too much for this car to have what I perceive to be "cheap" fit and finish and poorly engineered fasteners. I hope this helps anyone who may have similar noises coming from their late model Ford Edge.

Edited by CCMAYES72
  • Like 4

The platform you are driving is actually a new platform for the 2nd Gen Edge but it is also a reallocated platform based from the Fusion. So yes and no to your belief that this is a carry over from the 1st gen and 1.5 refresh of the previous Edge runs. Since it is a redesign and use there will be new issues.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I had the same issue. I fashioned my own buffer out of the foam pool tubes and placed them near the plastic clips under the two side panels until I bring mine in for the next oil change.
If there is a dealer solution I would just assume they fix it while it's under warranty. Thanks for posting the solution. I found mine by just tapping the under panels with the tips of my fingers. When I did I could hear the plastic pins rattle because they are not as tight as they should be. Also I am missing one pin on the back end of the passenger side panel.
I tried to push and tightened the pins but over time they just end up getting lose again. Once I put the buffers no more rattle. It was actually fairly faint but I could hear it when the radio was at lower volumes.
I have a better schematic of the underside that I will post tomorrow so others will know where to look or at least what the dealer should check. It sounds like you have a good dealer service dept I would stick with them! There are a lot that will tell you they looked into it but do nothing or "don't hear it"
As you can see there are a lot of items under the Edge that can rattle. Most of the time the culprit on any car maker is the larger panels. It's not isolated to just Ford when it comes to under panels rattling.

underside floor Edge

Addition: Here is a better diagram. If you search google images for tb10919A this image should come up. My issue is I am missing Clip 4, and Clip 5 keeps coming lose, probably because 4 is missing. I added numbers to the image since this is what I am going to bring to the dealer to show them where my issue is.

2015-17 Edge Large Under Panels

Edited by haedgy
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

I don't have any photos. You just have to place them near the clips, and make sure you have to squeeze them in tight or wind will move them and they won't work. I just recently took the car in for it's scheduled service. The dealer told me they (Ford) doesn't have the individual clips (seems odd) but they did order a new panel for me. The new panel fixed it. If your Edge is still under warranty it won't cost a thing but you should probably narrow down what it is first. Also if you have had service recently and now hear it check the engine cover under the car I hear they get lazy sometimes and don't put it back on securely.

My original solution with the tubes worked. I tried to get my arm in as car as I could and put them close to the clips. I had tried to take pics but it's just too dark and tight in there to get a good shot.

One way to tell if it's the panel clips is to tap the panel in various locations if you hear a rattle its probably bad clips. if you don't hear it then it maybe the plastic covers behind the panels. The issue with the edge is there are too many little things to rattle under the body.

I did have a rattle inside it was the center console plastic cover near the park brake. Fix is to put some screening spline under the side trim around it. That seams to pinch the plastic enough to stop a rattle.

Rattles drive me nuts too, some seemed to go away others were just because i like to keep things in the cup holders.

Wish I had a magic solution for it all but mostly trial and error to find these little issues.

Thank you so much! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the reply. I climbed under the car and looked and sure enough, both of those panels rattled in mine with the smallest touch with my finger tips. From 10 years ago, I had some sound deadening material that is like sheets of rubber. I cut small strips and wedged them in between the clips and the splash shield. It made for a snug fit for all but one that was really loose. Took it for a drive and the noise is gone! On my trip back, I heard it once, but it was very faint.

I'm surprised they don't just sell the clips. That's no good. My vehicle has 12,000 miles on it, so I'm making an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at and replaced.

Thanks again for posting all of this. Really calmed my nerves on a car I just bought, used, yesterday.

Shumax

Edited by shumax

Not a problem. I think I had read on another post a dealer had that as a solution. so I just tried it with what I had around the house to see if that was the issue.

I have a feeling these plastic clips will wear eventually and start to loosen over time. Mine was dead quiet when I first purchased it when I took a long road trip it started making the sound. That was around 10k i am now at 15k with a new panel and all is good (for now) I may just put the spacers in there so there is less vibration on those plates when driving.

I believe the issue is the covers are made of a pressed fiber so they tend to vibrate with higher air flow like you get driving on the freeway. I always noticed it more when there was a high cross wind too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I too have a rattle/ buzzing sound coming from car travelling at speeds from 40-60-80km.

Attached is a sample audio of the sound in question taken from my cell phone placed on the dashboard with all windows up. Sound in question is around 9 second mark of the audio (2011 Mkx Whine -1). Sorry for the poor quality since it was from a cell phone mic.

I've also attached another audio of the sound (around 12 sec mark) which bit clearer then the previous one (2011 Mkx Whine - 2).
I really hear when I'm turning right at about 40-60-80 with a light foot on the gas feathering it.
Can someone please help me with this!

2011 Mkx Whine -1.mp3

2011 Mkx Whine - 2.mp3

Edited by REN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tapped the bottom panel, just pushing it won't make the sound, if you tap your finger on the panel around the pegs and you hear even the slightest rattle it's the pins. There is also a plastic panel on the sides just in front of the rear tires that can vibrate when wind speeds increase as well.

Also check door alignment if the seams are not equally spaced between the doors or the door is off some you can get a little bit of wind noise but also it will rattle the small hose. Sometimes sounds bounce off the windows of the car you think it's on the left but it's really on the right.

The panels under the car seem to be an issue for most who are hearing rattles when these vehicles hit 40MPH plus. The Edge actually is not the only car with complaints about underpanels.

Hey CARR just saw your post. Those are not the pins that are loose. The pins that were lose in the panel are part of the panel, at least that is what the dealer told me. Those 8mm pins are usually around the wheel well of the car and on the smaller plastic pieces near the wheels.

The pins on the panel are larger than 8mm, and are about 3" in length. The end that holds the panel on is about 1 1/2" in diameter.

I have yet to see any replacements.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you guys are getting some noises or rattling seemingly from underneath your vehicle, this should solve the issue. This topic has been touched upon several times, and for some people it is hard to understand how to solve it without seeing what we're talking about, so I made a video to help out.

The noise started about 4 months into ownership, and sometimes it would be noise above 30mph, sometimes not until 60mph, but it was a common theme... ANNOYING.

The problem is the 3 small buttons or pins on each side that hold the under body cover in place. Hopefully this helps someone!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great video. I couldn't help but wonder if the buffeting from wind under the car will eventually work the "U" shaped pieces out; requiring this fix to be done over again. Believe if it were me, I would use plastic garden hose washers. Thick enough and would never come out, but it would require pulling the screw out to install. (Never have to do it again though).

• Like 3

Great video. I couldn't help but wonder if the buffeting from wind under the car will eventually work the "U" shaped pieces out; requiring this fix to be done over again. Believe if it were me, I would use plastic garden hose washers. Thick enough and would never come out, but it would require pulling the screw out to install. (Never have to do it again though).

I was concerned about the same thing, which is why I abandoned the zip tie and ended up with the wire. They seem to fit very tight in there, no play at all, so I'm hoping no vibrations to shake them loose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with the long deflectors under the car, and the wind noise has been driving me crazy. I want to give a huge thank you to haedgy!! After reading this post yesterday I followed haedgy's advice and fashioned some closed cell foam into doughnut shapes about ~1.5" thick. I opened up one side of each panel (the exhaust pipe side) so I could place the foam in between the chassis and the panel. With a slice on one side of the foam doughnut I was able to "hug" them around each of the 6 large round clips (as shown in haedgy's 2nd picture).

Once this was all finished there was no more rattle when I tapped my fingers on the panels, and best of all no more wind noise above 40mph!!!

My question is does Ford have a true fix for this? I can't locate a service bulletin or recall. I'm quite hesitant to bring my Edge into the dealer only to have them replace it with the same faulty part, and then have to do this whole foam fix again in another ~15k miles when the rattle starts again. Not to mention I'll be outside of warranty by then. Right now I'm more than okay with the foam doughnut fix.

I'm quite hesitant to bring my Edge into the dealer only to have them replace it with the same faulty part, and then have to do this whole foam fix again in another ~15k miles when the rattle starts again. Not to mention I'll be outside of warranty by then. Right now I'm more than okay with the foam doughnut fix.

I liked the foam idea, but was also concerned about having to fix it in the future. I used some pieces of wire (or an old coat hanger would work) to make it more of a permanent solution. i made a video about it here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24176-solved-noise-or-rattle-above-40mph/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well would ya look at that! Excellent. Your google doc seems to be restricted. I was able to Google the TSB and eventually find this pdf.

https://f01.justanswer.com/hdgene/2a294120-75f1-42ec-ad59-17baaaf9b468_tsb17-0065.pdf

I just hope the repair kit it worthwhile.