Fluttering Noise from Undercarriage and Dashboad Rattle

I was under the vehicle to set the jack stands for tire rotation and found these two underbody shields rattling, and realised that its the source I've heard when the sound system was turned off, then a search produced this thread.

Thanks for the TSB - I'll consider getting the dealership to take care of it when I next get it serviced, but for now I did something similar to the video in this thread, but using two wraps of string and tied.

Feels secure, and will check it again after a few thousand miles.

Keen to know what parts the factory fix uses, and how to detach these plastic securing clips.

post-44162-0-90720500-1531069715_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi. I joined specifically to say Thank You for this thread. Just picked up a 2017 Edge Titanium mid-November. Had the noise on the passenger side. Told the dealer before we drove it off the lot, they said he fixed it (that's a whole 'other story). Then yesterday the same noise started on the driver's side. Looking underneath, sure enough it's the felt cover rattling like a son of a gun. Taking it back to the dealer to give them a chance to fix that side; hopefully not like they "fixed" they passenger side. Anyway, thanks for the detailed description of the issue.

Mikula seems to have a good solution. Thanks for the video

Might even try 1004ron's idea if the dealer doesn't fix it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the e-wire hack on the driver's side deflector panel last night. Worked like a charm. And if/when these work loose I'll go with the rubber grommet hack. This time, it was cold outside, cold in the garage, and cold hands. Just happy to have that noise abated for now. Now, on the passenger side the dealer resolved the issue by taking the deflector off!!! Seriously, they did. They're buying me a new one. Imagine I'll have to hack that one, too, eventually. 

Thanks for the video. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OMG!  Can’t thank you all enough. I’ve been struggling to solve this noise issue on my Lincoln MKX and thought I’d try the Edge forum. Should have done so much earlier. Exactly what I’m experiencing. Took it to the local Ford-Lincoln dealer whose service mgr acknowledged the noise but said it was normal wear and tear. (@ 15,000 miles?). I’d bought the car at a dealership a couple of hours away. Last thing he said to me was “maybe you should take it there for them to fix”. He never mentioned the TSB.  Looking forward to revisiting the subject with him with this info in hand. 

My wrapping string around the fasteners did the trick for quite some time, but the rattle is back.

I'll check with my local dealership to see if they'll take care of this, with my mileage at 39K.

Wonder if my extended warranty that I bought from the dealership at the time of purchase for around $2K would cover this - anyone know?

If they don't, I'll just go ahead and spend $18 for a set of the new fasteners on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H2GZ-19E525-A-FORD-AIR-DEFLECTOR-KIT-OF-5-GROMMET-W718544-S300/123707187039?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D15510b3ba8bd4cb3a7badedda97757c0%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D113295542539%26itm%3D123707187039&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940

• 1 month later...

Installed the new $12 set of fasteners today  - the only difference with  these is the inclusion of the foam gasket.

The job was simple enough, and would be a lot easier on a lift, but a pain in the butt taking both underbody shields completely off to install the new fasteners.

Highly recommend that you get the dealership to do the job if still under warranty.

Underbody Shield.pdf

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I greatly appreciate this thread, @CCMAYES72, and the input of everyone, inc. @Mikula for the video.  The TSB linked earlier, #17-0065, definitely speaks to a problem which has continued beyond the 2015-2017 range of the TSB, since my '19 Edge is affected.  My dealer replaced the entire right-side underbody shield and its hardware last May, which is the first that I became aware of the issue, not having located this thread until a week ago--and there's been no recurrence of the problem on the right after 8 months.  The rattling/fluttering from the left shield began more recently, and I'm going in tomorrow to have it replaced.  The day the second shield was ordered, I made a point to ride along while the technician listened for the flapping along the driver's side; the service manager put this tech with me because he's dealt with the problem quite a lot, particularly on Escapes.  After the noise was reproduced on the highway, I then took a look while the vehicle was lifted.  The fastener beneath the rear floor had developed too much play in it.

I did ask the tech about the foam rings/gaskets in the hardware kit which is linked on this thread, and he twice didn't specifically respond regarding the rings, but he did emphatically state that he's never had a customer return complaining of recurrence after the entire assembly has been replaced.  Maybe there have been fairly recent improvements in the replacement product.  The vehicle's under warranty--and any replacement parts/labor should be warranted for 12 months anyway; so I encourage @1004ron  & anyone else to do what is my plan:  Have the thing replaced on Ford's tab if the vehicle is no longer warranted but fewer than 12 months have passed since a previous replacement, which hopefully won't be necessary but certainly should get their attention financially.

If I don't post again, the current replacements are continuing to hold up and/or I'm dead.  ?  Worst case scenario, I'll eventually pay someone a lift fee for applying the best possible version of the bent insulated-wire fix.

Edited by TomCinMI
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, colinc755 said:

I went ahead and posted a youtube video of how to do the TSB, if you are just out of warranty this repair is easy enough to do even if you don't really work on cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEmnO1oUpnI

Watched you video - my personal opinion is that the flutter will return pretty early using this method.

On yours the ring is not locked onto the clip that has the foam washer keeping some compression on it, and this can only be done with it completely removed from the vehicle.

The image attached shows the step that is virtually impossible to accomplish without removing the shield from the vehicle.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.35.23 AM.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

On 1/20/2020 at 12:38 AM, omar302 said:

@TomCinMI

Good info. Looking at the replacement parts (#1 here), they are used for all 2015+ models including the 2019. Also it seems the a available part numbers now are superceding older numbers, so there has been revisions to them, meaning they are probably fixing issues.

I'm having difficulty finding the revised part you mentioned - I'd like to compare it to what I installed.

I'm at three years and 54K miles - wonder if the extended warranty that I paid $1.9K for will cover this?

9 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I'm having difficulty finding the revised part you mentioned - I'd like to compare it to what I installed.

I'm at three years and 54K miles - wonder if the extended warranty that I paid $1.9K for will cover this?

The same link from post, go down and you'll see another diagram for middle/rear part of underneath the Edge. #1 here has left and right parts. Opening anyone of them will give more details of the part in addition to the part numbers it replaces.

37 minutes ago, omar302 said:

The same link from post, go down and you'll see another diagram for middle/rear part of underneath the Edge. #1 here has left and right parts. Opening anyone of them will give more details of the part in addition to the part numbers it replaces.

OK, looks like item 2 and 4 which is a red plastic anchor with a metal self tapping screw.

I can see this being an improvement.

Amazon has clearer images of this, and would have to measure the diameter of the large hole in the body metal to see if it can lock in.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Undertray-Cover-Bottom-Shield/dp/B07B26FNBZ/ref=pd_sbs_263_5/138-3585131-1943450?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07B26FNBZ&pd_rd_r=124286bf-8c92-4054-8be0-2b94153abfcc&pd_rd_w=XiF6X&pd_rd_wg=xirYl&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=Y4J9M9BMSAGJKDWQ0SN0&psc=1&refRID=Y4J9M9BMSAGJKDWQ0SN0

Edited by 1004ron

27 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

OK, looks like item 2 and 4 which is a red plastic anchor with a metal self tapping screw.

I can see this being an improvement.

I had meant that the shield itself has a new part number. 

Right side: K2GZ-5811782-A replaces G2GZ-5811782-D

Left side: K2GZ-5811782-B replaces FT4Z-5811782-B, FT4Z-5811782-G, FT4Z-5811782-H

7 minutes ago, omar302 said:

I had meant that the shield itself has a new part number. 

Right side: K2GZ-5811782-A replaces G2GZ-5811782-D

Left side: K2GZ-5811782-B replaces FT4Z-5811782-B, FT4Z-5811782-G, FT4Z-5811782-H

Thanks.

Will send a query to my local service manager for warranty cover.

Not sure if the below confirms that mine is still covered by the ESP.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB.

Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3633/underbody-shield-rattle-noise-while-moving-2015-2017-ford-lincoln

12 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Watched you video - my personal opinion is that the flutter will return pretty early using this method.

On yours the ring is not locked onto the clip that has the foam washer keeping some compression on it, and this can only be done with it completely removed from the vehicle.

The image attached shows the step that is virtually impossible to accomplish without removing the shield from the vehicle.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.35.23 AM.jpg

From what I could tell by the design of the retainer there really was no way to get it seated any further, and I would have thought that pushing it against the vehicle that the amount of pressure required would lock anything that could potentially be loose. If it does come back I will post and do the repair again, but today there were huge crosswinds and there was no sound to speak of. 

40 minutes ago, colinc755 said:

From what I could tell by the design of the retainer there really was no way to get it seated any further, and I would have thought that pushing it against the vehicle that the amount of pressure required would lock anything that could potentially be loose. If it does come back I will post and do the repair again, but today there were huge crosswinds and there was no sound to speak of. 

My comment is based on how tricky it was to get that Retainer Ring fully seated with the shield off the car - as you say, it may have seated and you'll know some time down the road, but then again I used the same kit on mine and its vibrating again.

5 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

My comment is based on how tricky it was to get that Retainer Ring fully seated with the shield off the car - as you say, it may have seated and you'll know some time down the road, but then again I used the same kit on mine and its vibrating again.

Dang. What did you do to end up solving the problem? Heck, why do they even use clips there, to begin with, it's not like the panel ever needs to come off, and even if it does the clips need to be replaced anyway. 

1 hour ago, colinc755 said:

Heck, why do they even use clips there, to begin with, it's not like the panel ever needs to come off, and even if it does the clips need to be replaced anyway. 

Seeing how on both sides they use screws while only the middle ones are like that makes me think that if it where fixed directly without some sort of insulator it would have an adverse effect on something, probably noise or vibration.

Service manager just replied to my email with a copy of the TSB and the below comment - I've replied asking if mine is covered under the ESP.

here is the Ford TSB that came out back then I think Sept 2017 not a recall just a TSB.

Edit:

His reply:

I dont show any super seceded  Tsb  and it is not covered under ESP sorry .

Not much is covered under the ESP , extended warranty.

Might try the new type fasteners, if my string work-around gets loose. 

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1