MRT AXLE -BACK EXHUAST FOR G2 EDGE SPORT AWD

Oh Boy !! It is like Christmas around here today . Just received a MRT Axle Back Exhaust for my G2 Edge Sport AWD. Not sure when I will do the install as I have other things on the fire right now. When I do get it installed I will include a video so you can hear and see it. For now I will just do the unboxing photos for you. Both sides together only weigh 19.6 pounds and the tube diameter is 2.5 inches, the finish and welds are top shelf. I will wait a few months to build up my courage to install it as I can only hope that they are not to loud. I don't want it to be loud or drone in the cabin and outside I don't want it to sound like a kids import with a big fart can on it. I will keep the stock muffler to reinstall if I don’t like it and then sell the MRT system. Time and sound will tell whats up.

post-46130-0-26451900-1498081708_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-24554800-1498081735_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-81455500-1498083317_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-03872600-1498082071_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-00321900-1498082304_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

From what I understand, there's cutting required of the stock exhaust, it's not just a simple bolt-on. This is what has given me pause about getting this system.

https://www.shopmrt.com/2015-2016-Ford-Edge-Sport-EcoFlow-AxleBack-Exhaust-p/91e100.htm

ETA: Though I am anxious to read your review after you've installed it.

Edited by always on edge
  • Like 1

person I know that installed it and went custom prior to getting rid of the edge, didn't like it cause it was too much like stock. So much so that his wife asked him when he was installing the exhaust. To which he replied he did it 2 months ago. Wife said it sounded too close to OEM to warrant the $$$ purchase

• Like 2

person I know that installed it and went custom prior to getting rid of the edge, didn't like it cause it was too much like stock. So much so that his wife asked him when he was installing the exhaust. To which he replied he did it 2 months ago. Wife said it sounded too close to OEM to warrant the $$$ purchase

That is fine with me if it sounds stock, I kind hope it does. My fears are it will be too loud or drone in the cabin at cruse speeds. The weight savings alone will be worth it. At under 20 pounds there should be substantial weight savings over the stock muffler and have less restriction. That equals more HP, better handling and a very small milage increase. I installed a Gibson cat back exhaust on my Explorer and now it sounds like a truck, and it feels less refined. I don’t mind as I use it as a truck for hauling and towing. My Edge is for driving and I want it to be luxurious, refined, sporty, not truck or ricey like. This is my concern.

Edited by Xtra

Darn, just noticed in the thread name Exhaust not Exhust :banghead::hammer_self: LOL. Hey akirby can you help me out?

damn, you are doing pretty much every mod available for the gen II edge huh! looking forward to the follow up posts. I'm in LA, south bay area, is that supercar sunday worth the drive to check out? probably 45 min drive for me.

damn, you are doing pretty much every mod available for the gen II edge huh! looking forward to the follow up posts. I'm in LA, south bay area, is that supercar sunday worth the drive to check out? probably 45 min drive for me.

It is a good show and worth the drive it has all kinds of cars, from Rat Rods to Super Cars. The people are friendly are happy to talk to you about their rides. There are always hundreds of cars there, but on the McLaren day there was way over 1,000 cars on display. The place was packed.
Because of the long drive you have , I might wait for a day that has a marque that you like . It is fun after the show as lots of us hit the canyons for a drive to the beach and lunch. http://www.supercarsunday.com/marque-schedule/

Let me know when you are going and we can meet there if you want.
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

It is a good show and worth the drive it has all kinds of cars, from Rat Rods to Super Cars. The people are friendly are happy to talk to you about their rides. There are always hundreds of cars there, but on the McLaren day there was way over 1,000 cars on display. The place was packed.
Because of the long drive you have , I might wait for a day that has a marque that you like . It is fun after the show as lots of us hit the canyons for a drive to the beach and lunch. http://www.supercarsunday.com/marque-schedule/

Let me know when you are going and we can meet there if you want.

Sounds good man, for sure. I'd love to check out your edge. I'll let you know when I'm going, probably after my springs get installed so I can test them out on the canyon run.

• Like 2

Just installed the MRT Axel Back Exhaust System . It has a deeper fuller tone than stock and is quiet as stock when cruising on the Hwy. it is not to loud or sound ricey. You can here it in the cabin when accelerating and I do not have not enough miles on it to tell if there is any drone or resonance yet. The stock muffler weighs in at 34 pounds and the MRT System weighs 19 pounds so there is a weight savings of 15 pounds off the back of the car. I need more time with it to give a more detailed report. I will try to post a video so you can hear it .

post-46130-0-06679500-1498609439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I asked my wife if I should change the mufflers and she said "no don't do it, why would you want the car to be louder." So I did the job without her knowing about it. We have been on several drives and errands together since the install and she has not noticed anything>>>> This way I had a impartial judge of if they are too loud. They are louder than stock but not so much as to be attracting attention when I jump on it, and have a great low, fuller tone to them. I believe they are worth the money, if all you want is a loud system this is not for you. I can now shift the engine with the paddle shifter by ear. I think she will find out when she sees the stock muffler in the garage, at that time I will confess. :shrug:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
She caught on, busted.... She walked around the back of the car and said your car is not as quiet as it used to be. Took her 3 weeks to notice. I said nothing ;) .

After living with this exhaust a while I can say at times when under load going slow, a certain frequency will resonate in the cabin that is too loud for my taste. Thats the only fault I have found with the system. It may have to do with the pipes not going far enough into the exhaust bezels for all the sound to get out.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had the tail pipes adjusted. Much better now, less resonance in the cabin . It is important to center them up in the exhaust bezels, and have the tail pipes extend well into the bezels to get the sound and vibrations out the back of the car. I can jump on it and it is not too loud or raspy. A quality system.

Edited by Xtra

Hi, I had the system installed a few weeks ago and I also noticed the tail pipes aren't exactly centered in the exhaust shrouds, the mechanic i took it to only charged $100 to put it on because I don't have a lift, how did you extend yours out of the back more? Did you just undo the bolt and slide them forward? Was there any bending required to match up the center a bit more? My right one is centered but my left is not

Hi, I had the system installed a few weeks ago and I also noticed the tail pipes aren't exactly centered in the exhaust shrouds, the mechanic i took it to only charged $100 to put it on because I don't have a lift, how did you extend yours out of the back more? Did you just undo the bolt and slide them forward? Was there any bending required to match up the center a bit more? My right one is centered but my left is not

The adjustments were done at the clamps, and that messes up the clamping power and they moved after a spirited weekend in the canyons.

I just got off the phone with MRT and they said that where you cut the cars pipes is very important. He was talking a 1/4 inch + or - effects where the tips end up in the shrouds. So according to MRT the cuts have to be square and spot on for the system to fit as designed. He also said if I take it to a muffler shop and they bend it to fit properly it can void the warranty . I am taking my car into a muffler shop today to have the system bent/ tweeted to fit anyway. The adjustment I had done did not stay, the left tip is now so off center that it is touching the bezel. It is off toward the center of the car to the right side of the shroud. MRT said the system is made in a jig and the problem is where the cuts are made. I wish that MRT had something in the instructions that told us that the cuts had to be so accurate. Muffler shops don't use micrometers!

So anyway Denny how do you like the sound?

Edited by Xtra

• 1 month later...

I found this on YouTube. Looks like someone put a custom Borla muffler system on a G2 Edge Sport. Borla does not make a kit for the G2 Sport ( that I know of ). I gave the measurements of the MRT mufflers in this thread . With that info you can have a custom system built using other manufactures mufflers of similar size and know they will fit.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1