2010 Ford Edge strut and brake replacement

Our 2010 edge front wheel drive has been in the family since new with 182k miles on it now. It's never had any work done on it other than oil and filters.

I figure it's time (passed time) for struts, strut bearings, and a set of brake pads.

If anyone has the list of parts needed and part numbers I'd appreciate it so I can get things looked up on rockauto and Amazon and save a little money on repairs.

Do a search for the thread "Struts - plus what else?" and you should get all the info you need about struts and rear shocks. If you are going to do pads only for brakes you are looking at probably less than $75. I might suggest rotors also but that probably will run about $250 all told. But still a bargain if you do it yourself.

As for as part numbers go, that you'll have to research yourself. I have all the info on my 2011 but that might not be exactly the same on your '10 as (I think) 2011 was the year the Gen2 refresh was done. Best of luck!

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Some parts will vary depending on trim level, wheel size specifically, as the suspension is tuned accordingly. You can see the front suspension bits here

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2010/ford/edge/sel-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat

and the rear suspension bits here

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2010/ford/edge/sel-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat

OR you can make it simple on yourself and ask BENNY at Levittown, in this thread (just need to PM him the VIN):

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10937-employee-pricing-on-all-parts-accessories/

Ours has 17's.

Our rotors aren't warped and the Ford dealer has a special on lifetime brakes through them so I will likely just do that.

I will end up ordering rear wheel bearings and have them put in since we are nearing the 200k mark.

I don't have time to do the work unfortunately so I have to take it in.

Our 2010 edge front wheel drive has been in the family since new with 182k miles on it now. It's never had any work done on it other than oil and filters.

I figure it's time (passed time) for struts, strut bearings, and a set of brake pads.

If anyone has the list of parts needed and part numbers I'd appreciate it so I can get things looked up on rockauto and Amazon and save a little money on repairs.

Believe I would get the spark plugs replaced first. Then fluids, especially the coolant and transmission. I would regard this as essential, more so than the drivetrain. Then brakes for safety and lastly struts.

• Like 3

Btw, as your having the local Ford dealer do the service, request a Ford Credit card, they can apply right at the service desk, and if you spend over $200, you will get a Debit card back in tbe mail for $25, plus a year to pay it off with no interest. !!!

They also run specials from time to time on brakes. The current specials are $100 for just pads or $180 for pads and turn disks. The coupons can be found here:

http://owner.ford.com/maintenance/service-coupons-and-offers.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9Wb658oE-bDzlRXMgJ3O5rZCgQ1dw2jAsbUpg98fmVjBhoCWeLw_wcB&searchid=160581195||&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!101616081795!e!!!!ford%20coupons&ef_id=WAFcsAAAAbKsCuFU:20170624233100:s

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Plugs are on the list but not before vacation on the 10th unless we get time.

I did all fluids at 100k when we bought it from my mom. Amsoil tans and fresh coolant. I had to give up my shop last year so I don't have a place to work and my wife needs it done quick as we only have 2 vehicles on the road at the moment.

I'll look into the Ford credit that would be nice prevacation

• Like 1

Plugs are important in these engines because as they age, the gap grows larger. This results in them drawing more current. The extra current causes the coils (attached directly to the top of each plug) to overheat. If they get too hot they (the coils) can burnout and their somewhat expensive.

According to my maintenance manual, plugs on my 3.5L should be changed around 90k. You wrote that you have twice that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For the record I did:

Plugs

Trans service

Raybestos Premium pads on all 4 corners (lubed pins)

Timken rear wheel bearings

KYB struts

KYB shocks

Mobile 1 5w20 w/ wix xp

Wix air filter

2 new cooper SRX tires (this makes 10 tires total being mounted on this econo beast)

Old pads still had nearly 25% left. The new rear pads groan worse than the oem.

Next on the to do list is clear coat peeling on the hood, front driver side fender has a 18" scratch (and it's new due to deer damage), front Ford emblem is fading, and a cab air filter (I just watched Mac's video on it)

Edited by tanman_2006
  • Like 1

For the record I did:

Plugs

Trans service

Raybestos Premium pads on all 4 corners (lubed pins)

Timken rear wheel bearings

KYB struts

KYB shocks

Mobile 1 5w20 w/ wix xp

Wix air filter

2 new cooper SRX tires (this makes 10 tires total being mounted on this econo beast)

Old pads still had nearly 25% left. The new rear pads groan worse than the oem.

Next on the to do list is clear coat peeling on the hood, front driver side fender has a 18" scratch (and it's new due to deer damage), front Ford emblem is fading, and a cab air filter (I just watched Mac's video on it)

None of these things is important. The next thing on your list should be coolant. Do a complete buffered, flush. Rinse twice. (You don't want to have to replace the water pump in these engines).

After this consider changing the power steering and brake fluids. (Fluids wear out and lose their protective properties).

Next pour in a bottle of Techron in the gas to clean the injectors.

Now fix the deer scratch.

I like cabin air filters with carbon. Tests show they are better on filter diesel exhaust. FYI here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A6NBO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SRyBzb1D1S2PS

Edited by enigma-2

How are you guys doing your coolant changes?

I cheat. I had the Ford garage do it during routine service. Full flush, buffer and refill. It's most important that if you are changing from Ford orange (or whatever came standard in your car) to the newer Gold, that you must completely clear out all of your old coolant (do not mix new with old).

On my 09 MKX maintenance manual, it specifies to change the coolant at 105,000 mile intervals. Thr dealer recommended I change the coolant as soon as the TSB came out. Ok'ed - believe it wad around 86,000 miles. They said the sooner the better as it was found that the OEM coolant did not provide sufficient corrosion protection. They specifically mentioned the inside of the heater core and water pump.

Edited by enigma-2

Orange is the newest coolant, maybe 2013 & up?. Specialty Gold for all practical ourposes is obsolete, and people should replace with specialty green when it comes time.

If you want to avoid confusion altogether, you can use a universal extended life coolant from Prestone, Peak, Zerex, etc. It should explicitly meet the Ford or ASTM spec as stated in your owners manual. Soecialty Gold meets ASTM D 3306, for example.

How often should you do a coolant change? I am at about 104k miles; owned the edge since 65k; never changed coolant. Should i change out the coolant?

Change it out. IMO you should change it about every 30K miles. Keep the water pump happy with new coolant.