2010 Ford Edge strut and brake replacement

How often should you do a coolant change? I am at about 104k miles; owned the edge since 65k; never changed coolant. Should i change out the coolant?

Change it out. IMO you should change it about every 30K miles. Keep the water pump happy with new coolant.

• Like 2

I noticed that Ford's recommendation for the subsequent changes are always shorter than the 1st time.

For example, for a 2011 Edge/MKX with a normal maintenance schedule, this is the note mentioned in the owners manual:

Initial replacement at 100,000 miles (160,000 km) or 72 months; every 50,000 miles (80,000 km) or 36 months thereafter.

• Like 2

Orange is the newest coolant, maybe 2013 & up?. Specialty Gold for all practical ourposes is obsolete, and people should replace with specialty green when it comes time.

You are probably correct, I wasn't listening closely when he went over the reasons. What I do remember was the OEM, coolant had been found to not offer protection for certain metals used in the heater core and water pump. (Don't recall what they were, just "certain metals".)

But changing the coolant is number one on the list as the problems encountered with a failed water pump (kills the engine et al) are to grear to ignore.

• Like 1

I've done the turkey baster changes yearly on the power steering and brake fluid.

I have a thermostat for the edge. It's on the pre 200k list once I get a chance.

Anyone ever run Evans waterless coolant in these?

I run seafoam fuel treatmemt in my gas every oil change. I've done this in every car/truck I've ever owned.

Edited by tanman_2006

None of these things is important. The next thing on your list should be coolant. Do a complete buffered, flush. Rinse twice. (You don't want to have to replace the water pump in these engines).

After this consider changing the power steering and brake fluids. (Fluids wear out and lose their protective properties).

Next pour in a bottle of Techron in the gas to clean the injectors.

Now fix the deer scratch.

I like cabin air filters with carbon. Tests show they are better on filter diesel exhaust. FYI here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A6NBO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SRyBzb1D1S2PS

The deer didn't scratch the car, it caved in the fender and both driver side doors. The scratch is new in the past 3 months. Since I told the wife the goal on the car is 500k miles she said it better not look like it has 500k on it, so happy wife happy life, it must look good

I run seafoam fuel treatmemt in my gas every oil change. I've done this in every car/truck I've ever owned.

You may want to consider Redline SI-1 instead of Seafoam. (And I like Seafoam). Anyway, Redline SI-1 has the highest concentration of PEA (Polyether amine), more than Seafoam or Techron. Recommended usage is the same, one can per 3-5k milage.

I can't state for certain but have read where Seafoam has damaged the O2 sensors after use. It's a strong solvent and most likely the way it was used, but something in keep in the back of the mind.

I Sea Foamed my Explorer I previously had using the vacuum method and other than smoking out the neighborhood I really didn't perceive any noticeable difference in performance. The only additive I've ever used in the Edge is Techron. I heard of Redline but have never seen it anywhere. Is it typically sold at autoparts stores or mail order only? I might give it a try.

EDIT: Available at my local O'Reilly. $15 bucks for 15ozs! At a buck an ounce the stuff BETTER work!!

Edited by chefduane

.... Anyone ever run Evans waterless coolant in these?

Coolants specifically not recommend by Ford or Lincoln, could void your warranty.

Consider you used this coolant and your water pump failed by corrosion and leaked coolant into the oil and fried the engine. Ford would have every right to void the warranty as you chose not to follow their requirements and this caused the failure. Not so you argue, prove it, says Ford, and your out six grand for a new engine. Just saying ..

• Like 1

I Sea Foamed my Explorer I previously had using the vacuum method and other than smoking out the neighborhood I really didn't perceive any noticeable difference in performance. The only additive I've ever used in the Edge is Techron. I heard of Redline but have never seen it anywhere. Is it typically sold at autoparts stores or mail order only? I might give it a try.

EDIT: Available at my local O'Reilly. $15 bucks for 15ozs! At a buck an ounce the stuff BETTER work!!

I've never had an injector or O2 sensor fail running seafoam. I even buy the spray can and flood the engine with it once a year and never had an issue. Ill stick with what I know there.

As far as coolant I don't mind conventional but the Evans makes a good product imo and it cools duramax, 6.5, and 6.0 GM engines very well and for alot of miles.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just ordered the KYB rear shocks for my 2011 Edge Limited. Should I be concerned that the OE has different parts for 20" wheels vs 17 or 18 and the KYBs are the same part (KYB 349142) regardless of size? I ordered those for the rears of my car which has 20s.

edit: nevermind, I followed a link for the 2010 Edge from earlier in the thread and didn't realize the MY. The 2011 Edge specs the same part for each size. Cheers!

Edited by tommy salcedo