G2 Edge Sport- Strut Tower Chassis Bar Brace Ladder Set

The strut bar is not doing anything. You're experiencing a placebo effect.

The strut bar does not effect wheel hop. Nor would the rear.

If the chassis was flexing, that strut bar still would not do anything as it has a pivot point on both sides. strut bars must be solid. Basically all you did was add weight to the already front heavy car.

To improve cornering get better tires, springs, better more aggressive alignment, and stiffer sway bars / end links are what you need.

Lastly, replacing any suspension bushings with poly bushings will decrease flex but increase ride harshness and nvh.

I have timed hillclimbs before and after the STB install. The car was faster with the STB , and there are no pivot points as you state.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

There are so many other variables that must be considered that could make your time from point a to point b vary on different days.

Strut bars essentially are supposed to transfer load from one tower to the other when a chassis is under flex. Considering how close the strut towers in the edge are to the a-pillar, the amount of possible flex/load is less than a standard sedan where the strut towers are farther from the a-pillar. This of course does not account for other frame/body designs that would keep flex to a minimum.

If you told me you bought some sticky summer tires and saw a 4 minute improvement, i'd buy that. Strut bar, no. Like I said, placebo effect. It sure does look pretty but it's not doing anything.

Especially as stated since it has a pivot point on both sides. That is adding another friction point that no matter how tight that bolt is, if there was any load high enough to flex the strut towers, that little amount of friction area provided by the bolt would be superseded and therefore you'd have the same flex. Strut bars must be solid to be effective. Designs like this remind me of what i saw kids put on their 98 civics. It's lazy engineering by the manufacturer to cut costs by being able to use different flange mounts with the same bar design. It's basically a universal part.

• Like 2

The hinged STB design is technically less stiff than a solid STB, however it will still add front end stiffness, simply by fixing the distance between the strut towers. Their main purpose is to transfer some of the load from the outer tower to the inner tower when turning. They can be hinged and still add stiffness because they are only responsible for transferring the lateral component of the load on the outer tower. STBs are more effective on cars with MacPherson strut front suspensions, simply because a double wishbone suspension is already more stiff by design. That being said, the difference in stiffness when a STB is added is fairly minor and thus can only be noticed when really pushing the car.

• Like 1

The hinged STB design is technically less stiff than a solid STB, however it will still add front end stiffness, simply by fixing the distance between the strut towers. Their main purpose is to transfer some of the load from the outer tower to the inner tower when turning. They can be hinged and still add stiffness because they are only responsible for transferring the lateral component of the load on the outer tower. STBs are more effective on cars with MacPherson strut front suspensions, simply because a double wishbone suspension is already more stiff by design. That being said, the difference in stiffness when a STB is added is fairly minor and thus can only be noticed when really pushing the car.

Nothing that you're saying is wrong. But you're assuming the strut towers ( again assuming macpherson strut ) only move in or out in relation to each other when the chassis is flexed. The flex in a hard turn is a more vertical movement that the bar may help prevent by preventing that movement by laterally connecting to the other tower.

The strut is mostly vertical in a car. The force is vertical pushing up against the tower. Under let's say a hard right turn, the highest load is upwards against the driver's tower, while the passenger side tower has the least load, if not almost negative. That only becomes an issue if the front end of the chassis has enough flex to actually allow differential movement of the towers in relation to each other vs at rest. If it does, then a solid bar will help prevent that deflection. A hinged/pivoted bar like the OP's will do nothing. The whole point of a strut bar is to box the front end. I'm definitely not saying they don't help. I'm just saying that the Edge's chassis design doesn't lend itself to benefit as much as others to a strut bar nor would it improve handling so much to drop a full 4 seconds on a canyon road.

• Like 1

There are so many other variables that must be considered that could make your time from point a to point b vary on different days.

If you told me you bought some sticky summer tires and saw a 4 minute improvement, i'd buy that. Strut bar, no. Like I said, placebo effect. It sure does look pretty but it's not doing anything.

I agree different days can produce different times but....

I hope you are not calling me a liar. I made dozens of runs up that hill before and after. Not a one time thing . If it did not help I would say so. The time improvement was not 4 min it was 4 seconds and I have duplicated that time over and over. I have a Edge Sport with the panoramic roof and I can't say if it would help one with a solid roof. Do you have one on your car? Have you driven a Edge Sport with and without one? Or any car with and without one? Are you just a bench racer with an opinion, or do you have facts and experience with a STB on a Edge Sport as I do? I can back my words up with experience and timed runs . Can you?

Edited by Xtra

I agree different days can produce different times but....

I hope you are not calling me a liar. I made dozens of runs up that hill before and after. Not a one time thing . If it did not help I would say so. The time improvement was not 4 min it was 4 seconds and I have duplicated that time over and over. I have a Edge Sport with the panoramic roof and I can't say if it would help one with a solid roof. Do you have one on your car? Have you driven a Edge Sport with and without one? Or any car with and without one? Are you just a bench racer with an opinion, or do you have facts and experience with a STB on a Edge Sport as I do? I can back my words up with experience and timed runs . Can you?

meant to say seconds

Glad you missed those bikers. :)

What you say is your opinion ,. and you are wrong.

it's human nature. you put effort in trying to the first to test a part and you want it to succeed and show benefit to other owners. totally understandable.

however, i'm an engineer and i'm telling you, that in this very specific situation, you are incorrect.

also however, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If others buy the part based on your words, and they're happy with it, that's also fine. your money, your car. :shift:

it's human nature. you put effort in trying to the first to test a part and you want it to succeed and show benefit to other owners. totally understandable.

however, i'm an engineer and i'm telling you, that in this very specific situation, you are incorrect.

Dozens of runs before the brace and no matter how hard I tried I could not go faster. Installed the brace and the first run it dropped 4 seconds, that is to say 4 seconds faster than my best run ever. Fact! . BTW I just sold my shop last year, it still has my name on the door. We made everything from Nuke Submarine parts to custom heads for Keith Black. Helped build an electric land speed streamliner there as well . Worked with Ak Miller on projects, and built rocket launchers for the Government It was an Engineering firm, welding and machine shop. I do not lie because the truth of it is, the STB cut my times by a full 4 seconds no matter what you say. Fact is all you have is an opinion and you are wrong on this point.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not to say that a G2 Edge Sport Crossover, is a Corvette, but surprise surprise, it does keep up with these super cars in these tight canyons with almost no straights and the Edge can carry more people and goods.. LOL. I looked for in-car videos that showed the same start and stop points and this is what I was able to find . There are probably more videos out there, but this is what I found.

Corvette Z06 Famous Mulholland Snake Run Going Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqwL2V2TeTg
Optional start video at 2:30
Start timed run at 2:48 at blue sign on left
End time at big rock on right at top of hill 3:57
He cut some corners and did not stay on his side a couple times .
Total time 69 seconds 1:09
G2 Edge Sport Mulholland Snake Run Going up
https://youtu.be/2uGXn5hc3I4

Start timed run at 1 second

End run at 1:10
Total time run 69 seconds 1:09
post-46130-0-39965700-1512265183_thumb.jpg
Clean Edge Sport run going up the Snake with the same start and stop points and staying on the correct side of the road with the stock Scorpion All Season tires. Was on the way to a 1:08 and spotted a Sheriff at the top, so had to slow down a bit, but we will never know for sure about that 1:08. Because the Snake is so tight, that is the great equalizer. On a real racetrack with 150mph+ straights and 90 mph corners it would be a different story. But on the streets on a mountain road, the Edge Sport can hang in there with the best.
:ford:
Edited by Xtra

Thank you, and I agree that Z06 driver was not the best.

i'll give you credit where it is due. it's an impressive run for our mini van B) ... but that guy was

1) a terrible driver

2) fighting idiots on bicycles the whole way (that idiot part is my opinion of course)

This time a video of a 458 Ferrari with no bikes in the way, crushing a clean run. What is cool about this video is you get to see the entire Snake from bottom to the top view point.

Same starting and stoping points.

Srart time run at 2:51

End time run at 3:59

Total run 68 seconds 1:08 :shift:

Only one second faster than the Edge Sport !

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Way 2 GO BROTHER!

Which tune were U running?

Thanks so much. We used a stop watch this time it was 1:07.3 so I am gunna go for a 1:06 and I think that will be about the max.

I am running a Livernois 91 Performance tune.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The point of these posts is not to show what I can do, but what the Edge Sport is capable of with H&R springs and a STB installed. Times would be faster with a good set of Summer tires. Combine that with a 12 second 1/4 mile and you have a sleeper that can embarrass / surprise more than a few. Love my Ford Edge. B):gold_star::ford:

• 3 months later...

Times would be faster with a good set of Summer tires.

Just put on new Pilot Sport 4S tires and a new alignment ran a 1:04 :shift: new record! Busted that Ferrari by a full 4 seconds!!

Just a review.

Stock - 1:18

Add H&R Springs & Rotora brakes - 1:13

Add Tower Cross Brace - 109, best ever 1:07. Here is when I was getting comfortable with the car and that had something to with the time improvement as much as the X Brace

Add Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and new Alignment 1:04.

That is a 14 second improvement over a one mile course from where I started with a stock car. :play: :ford:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Lots of great info in this post. I will just add a little info from my old platform the Caliber SRT4. The car had a very similar setup with the strut towers being very close to the A pillars and was also a very stiff car. A member made a cheap little rig with a shower curtain to measure the flex between the mounts of his strut bar and it was quite interesting in how much flex there actually was.

If anyone want to read his little test:

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php/28554-REVIEW-MPx-Strut-Brace-amp-measuring-rig

After seeing this test which isn't a precise science I will always add a strut bar since its a cheap upgrade.

Just put on new Pilot Sport 4S tires and a new alignment ran a 1:04 :shift: new record! Busted that Ferrari by a full 4 seconds!!

Just a review.

Stock - 1:18

Add H&R Springs & Rotora brakes - 1:13

Add Tower Cross Brace - 109, best ever 1:07. Here is when I was getting comfortable with the car and that had something to with the time improvement as much as the X Brace

Add Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and new Alignment 1:04.

That is a 14 second improvement over a one mile course from where I started with a stock car. :play: :ford:

you better have a video to post!