Why did the Chicken cross the Road?

chefduane

Why did the chicken cross the road?

How could he not? The adrenaline rush he got from dodging all the trucks blew the cholesterol out of his arteries and, for a few intense seconds, he forgot everything else, all his petty troubles. It was a scary moment, but pulling it off for the first time left him with a thrilling memory that would bring him pleasure for years to come. Oh, he'd trained for it, learning about trucks and cars, and the air currents underneath them... why they changed course or speed, and how they worked. And he'd watched for a while, talked to the other road dashers and then made the first crossing facing a slow moving truck on a narrow road. He'd progressed to wider roads and faster trucks and eventually groups of trucks. Some of the old chickens said he was crazy, risking his neck on the bare scorching asphalt, but he knew that some of the young ones secretly dug it, and admired him for his courage.

But that was not the main appeal of the dash. It was assessing the risk properly, training and preparing for it, dealing with unexpected problems, and making it to the other side with his feathers intact.

The old chickens could never understand this, but he could never understand how they could live a life so devoid of the pure thrill of conquering fears, and overcoming the risk.

And that is why the chicken crossed the road.

Have a good week everybody!

Chef Duane

• Like 2

Hey man, I am about to have A LOT of time on my hands.. on Wed I'm going to have a left knee replacement. Already had the right one done. Banged up in college ball and gettin' too fat will do that to ya!! But I'm told that after both knees are bionic I'll be able to run 35mph! Prolly make the metal detector at airport security light up like a Christmas tree! 4 - 5 months of rehab, couch time, and Texas heat! :arrive_alive:

• Like 1

Good luck with the knee, My wife did both last year, one in March and the other in November. Good thing I reached my max out of pocket with the first one so the second was free. She is just starting to get back to normal. I want to see her dodging all that chicken crossing traffic. :arrive_alive:

• Like 2