Paint defect

1004ron

While my wife was polishing my car this afternoon she spotted a defect in the paint - see the attached photo.

The paint is actually peeling off the plastic front bumper on the right side where it meets the headlamp.

I'll address this with the dealership when I take it for the first service in about 3K miles from now, but just wanted your opinion on how they should deal with this - touch-up or repaint?

post-44162-0-02209900-1498511165_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-63286100-1498511238_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

For urethane fascia and other soft parts the paint formulation is different from the metal body and includes additives (sometimes termed flex) to promote adhesion but more importantly to actually flex without cracking when the part is mildly deformed . A good body shop can paint this but it's imperative that the fascia is removed from the vehicle and properly, completely stripped, re-primed and then painted. Any replacement fascia will come from Ford Parts primed for paint so it's preferable because there's no chance for them to mess up the stripping/prep. I'd insist on a new fascia but good luck. Failing that I'd insist that the dealer show me the fascia off the vehicle and primed BEFORE they paint it. If they try to cheap out and spot paint you'll be back in a few months with the same problem.

Edited by KLinNBC
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Have the exact same issue with my 2016 Ford Edge Sport.

Ford has ordered a new bumper and will paint under warranty.

Good luck with the new bumper and thanks for the heads up that your dealership is ordering a new bumper, I now know what to insist on when I take it in for the first dealership service at 10K miles in about two or three weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I intended to bring this to Ford's attention at my first service, but when making the appointment for later this week they told me that they don't deal with it and I need to take it to the Ford collision centre, so stopped there on the way home today.

They asked the usual questions like has it been bumped etc., and the mileage, took photos and said that they need to send this off to Ford Corp for their instructions, and mentioned that they could get the go ahead or may ask for a tape test to assess if its an adhesion problem.

They would apply tape in the area where its peeled and then yank it off to see how much paint comes with it.

They said it would take a few days to repair and I'd get a loaner for that time.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

My local Ford collision center just called and let me know that Ford Corp have approved the repair and they can check me in on 15 Aug.

He tells me that they'll take the bumper cover off and repaint the area of the defect - I told him that I don't accept that seeing as no testing has been done to confirm if the adhesion problem is throughout the bumper and not just an isolated spot - he didn't have much in the way of a counter argument - I told him that I'll confirm the booking later, because I'm thinking of getting in touch with Ford Corp.

What do you suggest that I do now?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back after 4 days at the collision centre.

They repainted the complete front bumper and there's no sign of peeling, but there about five very small pock marks in different places on the bumper, and water in the right side DRL.

I'll live with the hardly noticeable blemishes - I don't know how they prepped it, so hoping it doesn't peel again.

I pointed out the water to them and they said it should go away, but if not to return for it to be repaired.

The water is still in the light after a 30 minute drive at 70mph in 90 degF ambient, so not looking like its going anywhere.

post-44162-0-53955300-1503094006_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

Took off work early today to stop in at Ford's Collision Centre for them to "fix" the water in the LED DRL which I was told would take about 30 minutes.

The supervisor takes it around the building and returns with it 10 minutes later only to explain that its a sealed unit and he needs to order a new one, and when it arrives he'll need the vehicle for half a day, so looks like more time off work and a rental car.

• Like 1

Got a call that the LED light arrived and was told that there's no rental car for this time because the job will take only 4 hours.

I can use their shuttle which doesn't go as far as my work, or wait while the job is done - more time off work for me.

Very poor that they called me to collect when they knew there was a defect, instead of keeping the vehicle until it was complete - the water in the sealed LED was not there before they did the bumper work.

Makes you question who did the inspection and why they didn't see it. or did they think I might not be that observant - it didn't take me long to point it out when I collected the vehicle.

The water in the LED and the 5 places where I can see blemishes in the paint will mean a one star review and I'll be looking to get any future work and services done elsewhere.

• Like 2

New light installed in less than an hour while I waited this afternoon.

The supervisor showed me the old light and the seal looked good on it and no sign of damage.

It seems like he was informed of my review, because he was trying to make excuses why he didn't see it prior to calling me to collect.

Edited by 1004ron

More than likely he was being honest and trying to take care of you. As these lights are closed fairly tightly, it would be my guess that a small amount of water was alreay present in the fixture (in liquid form) and turned into a vapor mist when they ran the car through the paint drying booth. The heat from the heat lamps turned the water into vapor and it condensed on the plastic lens, as it was a cooler surface (exposed to the direct outside cooler air).

No excuse for paint blemishes however.

• 11 months later...