Average battery life

coeperc

How many years of service have you guys been getting out of your battery? In my 2012 SE I've replaced two batteries already. First one after 2 years, second after 2.5 years. Both were ford batteries. The first replacement was under warranty so I had them do it. I did not realize after they replace your battery at Ford under warranty once, then even if that replacement fails before 36 months it is NOT covered at all. Just paid $160 for a new battery. Since I paid then this time it is under warranty supposedly so it would be replaced if it fails again in another 36 months for free. Just curious how much time others are getting out of their batteries and what brands they are using. I should say I'm in FL where it is consistently over 90 degrees in summer so I'm sure that takes its toll on the battery but 2-2.5 years doesn't seem like much.

-Matt

In the 98 Explorer I had before this vehicle I routinely got 6-8 years out of a battery. It seems like the newer vehicles equipped with more electronics eat up batteries quicker, and batteries are just not made as well now either. At least that is what it seems like to me.

-Matt

3 years in a moderate climate is "normal" nowadays. Less time in extremes, esp. HOT climates. that's why it is better to go with AGM batteries if you want longer lived/deeper cycling batteries. Very easy for Gen 1.5 owners to get an upgrade, since the battery size is easily available (group 65, I think). Odyssey if you can afford, otherwise many other nice but lowercapacity AGM offerings.

I was usually getting 4-5 years out of batteries in my 2 previous Explorers. Here in Texas the heat will kill a battery quickly. I just replaced a battery in my Edge due to an alternator problem. I went with an BXT-65-860 AGM. Hopefully it will last a while.

EDIT: He's got the same Harbor Freight Battery Charger I have. Nice little unit for about $29.00 w/ coupon, of course. :)

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

I used to use the Battery Tenders for years but recently changed to using the BatteryMINDer product. I have the 1510 model.

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-1510-Battery-Charger/dp/B00Q3CM2QY

This product has a desulfator which desulfates the battery cells resulting in longer life. At least that's the claim. This model is highly rated at multiple web sites.

BatteryMINDer Model 1510 features a SmarTECHnology™ plug 'n run 1.5 Amp battery charger/maintainer with full-time automatic high frequency pulse desulfator (not high voltage)that can help extend a battery's life up to 4 times its normal life.-20°C (-4°F) to 50°C (122°F). operating range. Ideal for charging, maintaining or recovering 12V flooded, sealed, maintenance-free, starter, deep-cycle, Optima brand sealed AGM, and marine batteries. Worldwide 100–240 VAC 50/60 Hz input. FCC compliant and California Energy Commission certified. The unit can maintain up to four 12 Volt batteries at one time when connected in parallel by using SmarTechnology™ Y-Connectors (part# 210AY). The 1510 features all the same great capabilities of our most popular model, the 1500 but also includes the RTA-2415 Ring Terminal Assembly and BC-AA Battery Clips. What's in the box: BatteryMINDer charger/maintainer/desulfator system, RT-2415 Ring Terminal Assembly with Quick Connector, BC-AA Insulated battery clips, Ambient temperature sensor (installed), Optional permanent mounting tab

• Like 1