Random non-repeated error messages on 2nd gen Edge

After a year and a half of ownership I have been more than pleased with my Edge. Having said this, I must admit to been a little concerned and a bit puzzled by occasional error / fault messages displayed on my dash. The first occurred several months ago was a "Nav. system failure" I don't have GPS, so I don't know what it was telling me. After a re-start the warning went away. This week as I was backing out of my garage I got a "traction control" & "hill holder" failure and the FM radio station I was listening to was "not available". On re-start (re-boot?) all the fault warning went away and the radio station came in loud and clear. I feared that any vehicle that has as much "fluff" as my Edge does (most other up optioned vehicles as well) would be subject to this sort of issue, as these vehicles ECM, BCM, & ECU modules age and heat cycle through the heat of summer. Has anyone else experience these sort of non-repeated system failure warnings?

Well here is the rub. I went to get it checked again and was told it was good. As they removed the gear I was told it just needed to be re-charged. I told them that it had been on a float charger over night and that the Battery Tender was giving me a solid green light the next morning indicating a full charge. When I asked for the voltage I was told 12.48 V. This strikes me a low and would have expected a reading of 12.7 + or so. So I'll keep an eye on the voltage and if it falls into the low 12's I'll get my dealer to check it out. What I did discover is that (at least for this last check) their equipment will not detect a failing cell only a dead cell. No loose nickel's for you boy's just yet, but perhaps I should grab a roll the next time I visit my bank... ;)

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

Yea, my dealer kept telling me that my battery was good. I bought a Solar 9 (thanks again Mac) and it showed low CCA's. Took it back in again with a coupon for a free check and again nothing wrong. Two or three weeks later it died at the grocery store. Like WWWPerfA_ZNOW (that's a mouthfull) said, it's the CCA's, not voltage.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, i've been getting the same error messages for the last few days. Then yesterday when coming out of the hardware store, the car was dead. completely absolutely dead. I thought that it was strange considering that i had just driven there. I have a physical switch on the battery that disconnects it because i sometimes leave it for a month or more at a time and i don't want it to drain the battery. I figured that this must be the problem so reached under the hood and tightened it (it's a knob with a screw that tightens the connection.) Sure enough, everything is fine and no more error messages.

So I would put my bet on the side of having a bad battery or even a loose connection too.

• Like 1

Yea, my dealer kept telling me that my battery was good. I bought a Solar 9 (thanks again Mac) and it showed low CCA's. Took it back in again with a coupon for a free check and again nothing wrong. Two or three weeks later it died at the grocery store. Like WWWPerfA_ZNOW (that's a mouthfull) said, it's the CCA's, not voltage.

I rest my case. Get a Solar tester and don't believe what the dealership,tells you. Their equipment/methods are incorrect.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

If we had a nickel for every time somebody said can't be the battery and it turned out to be the battery, we'd have a lot of nickels. Just sayin'.....

Ā 

Ā 

If we had a nickel for every time somebody said can't be the battery and it turned out to be the battery, we'd have a lot of nickels. Just sayin'.....

Test no. 4 was the tell. My Ford Dealer did a load discharge and full recharge test and discovered that a battery cell was indeed failing. They replaced the battery under warranty and hopefully that will be the end of my issues. I just hope that there is not a parasitic voltage draw lurking somewhere that promoted the battery issue.

post-35611-0-05462300-1499110322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1