G2 EDGE SPORT AIR INTAKE HACK

I did a fresh air intake hack to my G2 Edge Sport today for around 20 bucks. I take no responsibility for anyone who tries this at home.

First thing is open the hood and remove the front cover panel. It is held in place with a set of "buttons"
To remove a button you pull up and remove the center. Needle nose pliers and something to help you lift the center of the button like your fingernail. Then the base or outside of the button will come out . It is easy to do and easier to reinstall.

Here are the Buttons .

post-46130-0-93886300-1498876812_thumb.jpg

Here is the grill stock fresh air intake I can barely get my fingers through. You can also see the snorkel air intake as well.

post-46130-0-24776400-1498876931_thumb.jpg

This where you cut. Cut out the silver and leave the bolt flange and where the grill clips in.

post-46130-0-18940900-1498877533_thumb.jpg

Here are the finished cuts , they still need sanding.

post-46130-0-65906800-1498877794_thumb.jpg

Here are the bits I cut out.

post-46130-0-09509100-1498878385_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Ok , After I finished all the cutting I could place my entire hand in the grill fresh air intake.

post-46130-0-83302600-1498881265_thumb.jpg

The last thing I did was put in 20 bucks of high quality insolation over the radiator to help keep the fresh air charge cool.

post-46130-0-95428900-1498881458_thumb.jpg

And here you can see the 4 large fresh air intakes, and the insulation in place ready to button up.

post-46130-0-97241600-1498881645.jpg

Set the cover back in place and push in the buttons and you are done. Bam! A fresh air hack for the G2 Edge Sport.

Job Done

post-46130-0-11475200-1498882095_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Front snorkel mods are popular, and they work. There is obviously some concern with water intrusion, but time will tell. Also keep an eye on the insulation, I know you said high quality, but is it wind-tunnel proven? Insulation is a great idea, just not sure I would be using a mat like that.

Good work overall, great pics!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 2:42 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Front snorkel mods are popular, and they work. There is obviously some concern with water intrusion, but time will tell. Also keep an eye on the insulation, I know you said high quality, but is it wind-tunnel proven? Insulation is a great idea, just not sure I would be using a mat like that.

Good work overall, great pics!

Thanks, The mat is glued down and cannot move it is similar to header wrap very tough stuff. The parts I removed were approximately .375 wide x 2inch long x .125 thick a very small amount. The new intakes could take in water or bugs, but I did not cut that much away or alter the grill intake side. All the cuts were inside . As I live in a dry climate I am not that concerned, I took all that into consideration before I did the job. Hope I am correct and there are no problems only benefits .

*********** Update   12-04-2020

Continue to test and there have been no problems with water or bugs. The mat is still in place and looks good.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't anticipate issues either, looks like a good install, but once a DIY mod is made, you do have to inspect every so often to make sure it is holding :)

This is true of most mods for sure . Even the bolts on my new axle back system.

• Like 1

Makes more power, noticeable seat of the pants. Tires fight for grip coming out of corners and on up shifts. But the tune needs tweaking now that air can flow better in and out. I believe it needs a bigger shot of fuel when you step on it. Now I have to see how it runs in stock tune. It made more of a change than I thought it would, and not all for the better. I will get it sorted out.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also to add to Xtra's outstanding Hack/MOD... :);)B)

Special K and I are going to attempt to modify the already great idea further by fabricating a ram scoop to bring the air box intake opening to the 2 openings in the grill on the drivers side created by Xtra's MOD... :drool:

BTW, Special K & I are in the engineering field... :worship::doh:

If we can find a fabricator to run with our prototype how many would be interested in purchasing one?

In addition, we're looking at possibly venting the valance cover that covers that entire area on top since the scoop will not be using the air in that cavity as it would per Xtra's MOD.

This would reduce the heat accumulation and keep the scoop cooler.

The question for this MOD would be...the Value Added For Effort Expended (VAFEE)... :doh:...we encourage input from any 2016 Edge Sport Subject Matter Experts (SME) Pleeeease... :victory::hat_tip::whistling:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Thank you :hat_tip: There is no aftermarket intake available for the Edge Sport and that is why I did what I did. I had no choice, I considered something like what you propose, but under hood clearance is tight and an engineer is exactly what is needed to design something like this. In my thought design I considered a new Valance cover so as to make the install look professional. No cutting up of the stock cover you just replace it. Removing the cover would work, but not look as clean. Your idea is the answer and the way to do it. I even bought a new snorkel and air box in an attempt to see just what could be done. I still have it . If it would help in the design you can borrow it.

post-46130-0-81415000-1503602700_thumb.png

I would think that the new scoops volume should be equal to or greater than the snorkel .

roots57 is a CAD design wizard and he might know of somplace that does prototyping. Perhaps it could be 3D printed?

If you build it I would be interested in getting one.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Totally agree with all points Xtra & thnx 4 chiming N, I'll let U know should we need 2 take U up on the offer... :hat_tip:

Per your concern of water intrusion under all normal & extreme weather conditions, aside from traversing flood waters up to the intake, you'll B fine... :thumbsup:

2 boot, there R drain holes N the bottom of the intake box... :victory:

BTW, how about some instruction on placing Pics with their relevant paragraphs... :banghead:

Root57, R U onboard should we need your services that Xtra described?.. :drool:

So far we've done an R&D tear down & here R the initial research Pics... :camera:

Note: This is going 2 take some time, if it works at all, so B patient peeps, we do have full time jobs & this isn't it... :salute:

post-46284-0-84105200-1504019269_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-93377100-1504019275_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-78969800-1504019284_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-90737900-1504019290_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-15716200-1504019297_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-01446200-1504019303_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-73343500-1504019307_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-25601600-1504019315_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-88075900-1504019394_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

Totally agree with all points Xtra & thnx 4 chiming N, I'll let U know should we need 2 take U up on the offer... :hat_tip:

Per your concern of water intrusion under all normal & extreme weather conditions, aside from traversing flood waters up to the intake, you'll B fine... :thumbsup:

2 boot, there R drain holes N the bottom of the intake box... :victory:

BTW, how about some instruction on placing Pics with their relevant paragraphs... :banghead:

Root57, R U onboard should we need your services that Xtra described?.. :drool:

So far we've done an R&D tear down & here R the initial research Pics... :camera:

Note: This is going 2 take some time, if it works at all, so B patient peeps, we do have full time jobs & this isn't it... :salute:

Yea sure, I can create a CAD model of whatever you need. I just need to know exactly what you want. You want to create an extension to the current intake to duct in air coming directly in from the grille? Once I know what you want, I can take some measurements off mine and get started on a CAD model. I order all kinds of parts from rapid prototyping companies on a regular basis so I am very familiar with the available processes, materials, and costs. Just do your best to explain exactly what you want to make and we'll go from there. Here is a screenshot of a model I just made really quick as an example, only took me a few minutes to create this basic shape. But technically I could upload this to a rapid prototype or 3D printing company such as Protolabs and get it quoted, ordered, and delivered within like 4 or 5 business days. I'll do some research into what material options will withstand heat the best.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 3

1. Click on "More Reply Options"
2. Click on "Choose File" then select the photo you want .
3. The file name or photo name will appear Next to choose file. Now wait for it to download.
4. After it down loads the file will appear Above "Attach Files". It will be highlighted now .
* Try clicking on "Attach This File" It might make it highlight faster .
It takes a while. Give it some time, if it does not down load and highlight , try the basic uploader. Click on "Basic Uploader" located below. If the Basic Uploader fails try the "Advanced Uploader" located in the same place. You will see one or the other . Click on it. Then go back to #2 and try again.
5. In the highlighted area you will see a preview of the photo.
6. Place your cursor where you want the photo to be located in your post .
6. Click on "Add to Post" in the highlighted preview. The name of the photo should appear in the post where your cursor was.

7. Thats it. I hope that my instructions help some. post-46130-0-48207500-1504119698_thumb.jpg
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yea sure, I can create a CAD model of whatever you need. I just need to know exactly what you want. You want to create an extension to the current intake to duct in air coming directly in from the grille? Once I know what you want, I can take some measurements off mine and get started on a CAD model. I order all kinds of parts from rapid prototyping companies on a regular basis so I am very familiar with the available processes, materials, and costs. Just do your best to explain exactly what you want to make and we'll go from there. Here is a screenshot of a model I just made really quick as an example, only took me a few minutes to create this basic shape. But technically I could upload this to a rapid prototype or 3D printing company such as Protolabs and get it quoted, ordered, and delivered within like 4 or 5 business days. I'll do some research into what material options will withstand heat the best.

Love this idea... any updates on this?