G2 EDGE SPORT AIR INTAKE HACK

Totally agree with all points Xtra & thnx 4 chiming N, I'll let U know should we need 2 take U up on the offer... :hat_tip:

Per your concern of water intrusion under all normal & extreme weather conditions, aside from traversing flood waters up to the intake, you'll B fine... :thumbsup:

2 boot, there R drain holes N the bottom of the intake box... :victory:

BTW, how about some instruction on placing Pics with their relevant paragraphs... :banghead:

Root57, R U onboard should we need your services that Xtra described?.. :drool:

So far we've done an R&D tear down & here R the initial research Pics... :camera:

Note: This is going 2 take some time, if it works at all, so B patient peeps, we do have full time jobs & this isn't it... :salute:

At this point you might as well make a full custom CAI. You aren't that far off. 2 little couplers to the stock flex pipe thing, 2 K&N filters, mod the bottom of the box to support the weight. Bada bing, bada boom!

At this point you might as well make a full custom CAI. You aren't that far off. 2 little couplers to the stock flex pipe thing, 2 K&N filters, mod the bottom of the box to support the weight. Bada bing, bada boom!

I think you are talking about something like this? post-46130-0-67114700-1506825177_thumb.jpg I built this first before the hack.
Trouble was the under hood air temp is off the chart. It was a big fail and I had to return back to the stock configuration.
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I think you are talking about something like this? attachicon.gifXtra’s Xperiment.jpg I built this first before the hack.
Trouble was the under hood air temp is off the chart. It was a big fail and I had to return back to the stock configuration.

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about! Looks great... have you tried it again since the hack or do you think it will need an upgraded FMIC?

Also, do you have any data on air intake temps before and after the hack?

Edited by James.s.bishop

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about! Looks great... have you tried it again since the hack or do you think it will need an upgraded FMIC?

Also, do you have any data on air intake temps before and after the hack?

Thanks, it may look good but it was a dud, and there is no need to try it again. . What is a FMIC? As for the intake temperature , I have no idea before or after the hack.

Right, and I was trying to figure out if that cut part was a $30 part or a $300 part lol

The modified part could be the Air Deflector Housing Part # 12, $143 at Tasca ( not sure ). It may not cost that much but replacing it is a big job. The labor will eclipse the cost of the part by far.

post-46130-0-23941000-1506889299_thumb.png

post-46130-0-05593100-1506889211_thumb.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Thanks, it may look good but it was a dud, and there is no need to try it again. . What is a FMIC? As for the intake temperature , I have no idea before or after the hack.

Front mounted intercooler. With an upgraded intercooler, intake air temp won't really matter because the intercooler will remove the heat, often within 10 degrees of ambient at highway speeds, and your CAI will no longer be a dud. Stock intercooler doesn't have the capacity to do it. It is a very common and important upgrade when you increase boost pressure and very unfortunate that there is not a performance FMIC on the market for the Edge (there are other threads on this... a couple of options might be in the works). Still though, I would be curious to see some empirical data on what that hack does to temps. I am probably going to do it either way though. I will take the silver welded piece from your CAI off your hands if you don't want to do anything else with it ;)

Edited by James.s.bishop
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I believe it is possible to increase the air flow from right to left by modifying the Sight Shield. Part# - Ford (FT4Z-16A238-A) $50.97 at Tasca. A side effect of adding space above the radiator besides more air flow from right to left is bit cooler air. My drafting skills are not that good but you should get the idea. The raised area should be almost straight with a slight curve. Not like the drawing. I have not worked out the  exact dimensions of the raised area yet, but have determined that there is some room to do this. Just guessing here around 3/8 inch tall X 1 inch or so wide. Properly done it would complement the mods I have already done. Basically just expand and extend the hump on the drivers side all the way across . See photo on page 1 of this thread named ( Job Done ).

IMG_1574.JPG

Edited by Xtra

On 8/29/2017 at 11:10 AM, snmjim said:

Totally agree with all points Xtra & thnx 4 chiming N, I'll let U know should we need 2 take U up on the offer... :hat_tip:

Per your concern of water intrusion under all normal & extreme weather conditions, aside from traversing flood waters up to the intake, you'll B fine... :thumbsup:

2 boot, there R drain holes N the bottom of the intake box... :victory:

BTW, how about some instruction on placing Pics with their relevant paragraphs... :banghead:

Root57, R U onboard should we need your services that Xtra described?.. :drool:

So far we've done an R&D tear down & here R the initial research Pics... :camera:

Note: This is going 2 take some time, if it works at all, so B patient peeps, we do have full time jobs & this isn't it... :salute:

post-46284-0-84105200-1504019269_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-93377100-1504019275_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-78969800-1504019284_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-90737900-1504019290_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-15716200-1504019297_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-01446200-1504019303_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-73343500-1504019307_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-25601600-1504019315_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-88075900-1504019394_thumb.jpg

This seems like it could work. The vendor said he is willing to make it for other models....

ford-fusion-big-mouth-ram-air-intake-system

13 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I reached out to velossatech.com and sent them a link to this thread. I also requested that they join the group so they can respond directly. If they are willing to proceed they will need a edge sport to work with in Hollywood Florida.  All they can say is yay or nay. 

From my understanding, they already attempted this on an EDGE, would require complete removal of shutter system or something I can't recall the whole story. This is where the Fusion and Edge get different though. I'd still rather have hard pipes throughout before a snorkel for my intake though.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

From my understanding, they already attempted this on an EDGE, would require complete removal of shutter system or something I can't recall the whole story. This is where the Fusion and Edge get different though. I'd still rather have hard pipes throughout before a snorkel for my intake though.

They removed the shutters on the Fusions they worked on. The hard pipes look interesting. Definitely does not take a rocket scientist to see the benefit of having them installed.

yeah I seen the fusion install, I had a lengthy convo about a year ago with Troy of CD3Performance as he was trying to get them to make it for the Edge or something, I can't recall whole story but I remember the conversation was had and it was decided against making them for the Edge. My issue besides that is, I'd never pay their prices for what it is, granted I know people will but to me, for what you get, amount of material, it's overpriced for me. I'd rather pay 4 digits for an intake and pipes that I know would be beneficial than pay 3 digits for 10 in of narrow plastic.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, dimcleveland said:

@Xtra

Hey! I am looking to upgrade my intake on my 2016 edge sport 2.7tt. Do you know if anyone makes one yet or is it possible to have to fabricate one? I live in Chicago. Thanks!

My email is dimcleveland@gmail.com

Extra and myself have the only true intake mods.  I have a true CAI / ram air.  i am trying to find a company interested in producing it.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 12:01 AM, aquilesopkarg said:

There is obviously some concern with water intrusion, but time will tell. Also keep an eye on the insulation, I know you said high quality, but is it wind-tunnel proven?

So far there has been no problem with water intrusion, or any other problem for that matter. The hack works fine and as far as wind tunnel testing goes it has had real-world testing for over 17,000 miles now. I have had the car at 80mph in driving rain. And in 30mph street traffic when it is raining so hard the wipers have trouble keeping up. As well as undergoing numerous car washes. Through all this there has never been a problem with water intrusion. The car has been at over 110mph at the track and no problem. The insulation is fine and is as solidly attached as the day of install.  And like snmjim I have made a CAI part that needs to be manufactured, it will work as a stand-alone part or in concert with snmjim's intake for the ultimate CAI for the Edge Sport /ST.

• 1 year later...