2016 Edge Sport Purchase Question

Hello fellow enthusiast,

new member over here. I currently drive a Focus ST and looking to buy my first edge sport really soon. So I came across a leftover 2016 edge sport with just 11 miles on it. Its black on black with cold weather package (heated steering wheel) and panoramic sunroof, no other options. The MSRP on it is $43215 but the dealer agreed to sell it for $32k plus $174 doc fees. Do you guys think this is a good deal? This does't have the 401a package but the next dealer who has a 2016 edge with 401a package wants 36k for it. Really confused here which route to go. 32k is tempting but I'll be missing adaptive cruise and forward camera, etc. DO you guys think the Edge is one of the better options in this category? My wife wanted the Murano SL AWD which is the same price as this edge sport but the steering on that thing is really numb and I personally hate CVTs. will appreciate your advise. thanks in advance.

welcome, edge_st, I am sure the members here will help you out! I just looked at what the 401a pkg includes:

Equipment Group 401A – Technology Package
includes voice-activated Navigation System with
pinch-to-zoom capability, and

integrated SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® with 5-year trial subscription,
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with crosstraffic alert,

Remote Start System,

auto-dimming driver’s sideview mirror, and

110-volt power outlet + Lane-Keeping System +

enhanced active park assist with side parking sensors +

front 180-degree camera with washer +

HID headlamps with auto high beams +

rain-sensing windshield wipers +

heated and cooled front seats +

heated rear outboard seats

Seems like a lot of value in that package to me, most of it easily foreseen as usable everyday. Remote Start, HID, heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise, ... oh yea gimme all that :) Now price, hope you have wiggle room on that, or can bargain it down a bit, but I feel it's not a "puff" package by any means.

• Like 1

welcome, edge_st, I am sure the members here will help you out! I just looked at what the 401a pkg includes:

Equipment Group 401A – Technology Package

includes voice-activated Navigation System with

pinch-to-zoom capability, and

integrated SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® with 5-year trial subscription,

BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with crosstraffic alert,

Remote Start System,

auto-dimming driver’s sideview mirror, and

110-volt power outlet + Lane-Keeping System +

enhanced active park assist with side parking sensors +

front 180-degree camera with washer +

HID headlamps with auto high beams +

rain-sensing windshield wipers +

heated and cooled front seats +

heated rear outboard seats

Seems like a lot of value in that package to me, most of it easily foreseen as usable everyday. Remote Start, HID, heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise, ... oh yea gimme all that :) Now price, hope you have wiggle room on that, or can bargain it down a bit, but I feel it's not a "puff" package by any means.

Thank you sir for the information. Now my question is that is that package worth $5k? The next dealer is not budging off $37k price for the 401a package.

What is the pricing for the 401A option from Ford? I see $3,345 for a 2017 build. I would also consider widening the search radius, use autotrader.com or cars.com to help you find the Edge you want. Possibly use the lower price as a bargaining tool with the dealer near you.

EDIT: Try these listings

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/New+Cars/SUV+~+Crossover/2016/Ford/Edge/Cedar+Rapids+IA-52401?endYear=2016&keywordPhrases=technology&listingTypes=new&makeCodeList=FORD&modelCodeList=EDGE&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=575822&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2016&trimCodeList=EDGE%7CSport&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&Log=0

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

We've just got the 20s, and I'd really prefer the stock Titanium wheels. Having driven both enough, the small wheels feel better to me. Depends on the road surfaces, though. If you're in a place with great roads, it may not matter as much. Here, there's an interstate with reasonably good concrete that just doesn't jibe with our Sport. Felt fine on a Titanium, and has always been fine on our other vehicles.

I'm not a person that values the appearance of wheels, so that skews my opinion.

Edited by RC Mike
  • Like 2

No I get that. I am in Eastern IA and the roads are horrible this side. My focus ST creaks and groans on most of the roads here. I wouldn't want to repeat that with the edge. Wife really wants the 2017 Nissan Murano but I find it boring to drive cars with CVT.

I had a 2015 Titanium V6 AWD with 19" wheels and now I have a 2017 Sport AWD with 20" wheels. Between the change in wheel size and the sport suspension I notice a considerably stiffer ride. Were it an option on the Sport, I think that I would opt for the smaller wheels with a taller tire sidewall.

I personally passed on a chance to buy an Edge Sport without the 401a and specifically found a 2016 that included it. It was definitely worth a few thousand more. Between the HIDs and the blind spot system alone it's been worth it, but the cooled seats have been awesome here in the south too.

I personally love the 21 inch wheels and don't find the ride harsh at all. But it does limit your tire replacement options. Not too many manufactures make that size tire.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be late to the discussion. I just picked up a 2017 Edge Sport with 401A and 21" wheels. The 401A was worth the $3,345 price tag. I actually would have preferred the 20" wheels. But, could not find one in the color I wanted without the 21" wheels. I test drove the 20" wheels and have not found too much difference between the two. From one of the other posts, the nav, remote start, forward camera, side dimming mirror, cooled seats (along with the other features) is worth it. You say the price differential is $5K. I wonder if you can get them to come down. If I am late to the discussion, hopefully, you were able to get the one with the 401A.

• Like 1

Don't settle! The moment you settle you get less than what you settled for.

Then you will end up second guessing your decision.

It will be a bitter pill that you swallow time and time again.

Talk the dealer down off of his price with the 401A or find a different dealer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your inputs. At the end I was able to get what I was looking for. Excited to be a part of this forum. Already ordered the USB hub for apple carplay upgrade. Does anyone know a good set of splash guards for the sport model? So far I have not found one.

post-47008-0-04355700-1501156221_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your inputs. At the end I was able to get what I was looking for. Excited to be a part of this forum. Already ordered the USB hub for apple carplay upgrade. Does anyone know a good set of splash guards for the sport model? So far I have not found one.

Ford makes a set to fit the front on the Sport, not a perfect fit, but it will keep mud off the doors. However, there's nothing available, OEM or aftermarket, for the rears. Just too difficult a shape to match.

There was a member here that posted the he had bought a rear set to fit a SEL (if I remember correctly) and had hand-trimmed them to the contour of his Sport. He never posted pictures however. I believe that that's your only option for rear mud flaps on a 2015+ Sport.

• Like 1

Ford makes a set to fit the front on the Sport, not a perfect fit, but it will keep mud off the doors. However, there's nothing available, OEM or aftermarket, for the rears. Just too difficult a shape to match.

There was a member here that posted the he had bought a rear set to fit a SEL (if I remember correctly) and had hand-trimmed them to the contour of his Sport. He never posted pictures however. I believe that that's your only option for rear mud flaps on a 2015+ Sport.

thanks I ordered just the fronts for now. Will try to work with something for the back.

• 1 month later...