Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

Adding aftermarket amps to factory system with new AR module in second gen

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   vipervenom550

vipervenom550

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

That piece I cut out wasn't very big it looked like it was just support the back of the stock sub which I don't think it needed.  As for the spacer I think you could add on but I think the sub would hit the trim panel.  But there is quite a bit of flex on that rear panel so if you put a grill or some sort of spacer to account for the excursion of the sub you would be fine.  I hear you on the shallow subs, while I find this new sub i put in has a much cleaner and smoother sound then factory I really miss the deeper lows of a 10 or 12 inch sub.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 365 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

That piece I cut out wasn't very big it looked like it was just support the back of the stock sub which I don't think it needed.  As for the spacer I think you could add on but I think the sub would hit the trim panel.  But there is quite a bit of flex on that rear panel so if you put a grill or some sort of spacer to account for the excursion of the sub you would be fine.  I hear you on the shallow subs, while I find this new sub i put in has a much cleaner and smoother sound then factory I really miss the deeper lows of a 10 or 12 inch sub.

To get those hard hitting lows, its all about linear displacement and thats why standard depth subs (as opposed to shallow mounts) can provide that, especially when you get to 10" and above.  The Xmax on a 8" JL W7 is still like 0.75" or something ridiculous.  On a lot of the shallow mounts Xmax is like 0.25" or less and that just doesn't move much air.  Hence why I'm trying to squeeze the deepest possible mounting 8" sub into my enclosure.  Its already at a disadvantage being only 8" in diameter.

Anyways, thanks again for the info/pics.

Edited by roots57, 25 January 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   evilkid500

evilkid500

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

I'm considering the Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP for a new amp.  Anyone have one already that cares to comment?

Roots57

I just placed an order with Crutchfield for the XR600 along with the iDatalink AR module and the iDatalink harness and will have a local shop do the install in a week or two. I'll let you know my impressions when it's done.

Any update on the quality / satisfaction on the Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP? I just purchased a 2018 with the Sony audio, and it's no where near the quality level of the previous generation's Sony system. Also, to anyone that has replaced the factory Sony amp in the G2 Edge, did you lose the sound produced when selecting anything on the touch screen? The instruction manual from Maestro says that the selection sound will be lost. Thanks!

#24 OFFLINE   TSCHANNE

TSCHANNE

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

I copied this from another thread where we were discussing the same thing. Love the stereo now!

As far as noticing a difference in sound from stock Sony to the Kenwood/Maestro install, it's like night and day. To my ears the system sounds fantastic now, best I ever had in any car I've owned. I also had the center channel dash speaker along with the front and rear door speakers(left in the stock tweeters) and sub woofer replaced as part of the upgrade. Also as a result of the install I lost the rear pillar speakers but honestly if I wasn't told, I wouldn't have known.

Before the stock system was way to muddy sounding and not nearly as crisp as I prefer. Now I get much more punch along with way more clarity especially at higher volumes, more ratta tat tat on snare drums rather than boom boom boom. The lower bass could be a little tighter and more powerful but I'm happy.

I lost all the eq adjustability  from the head unit but everything can be adjusted on a Kenwood app on your phone which is kind of cool to play around with. There's either preset settings for rock, jazz, pop etc or you can flip a little switch on the amp and tweek every little setting using the pro setting. That gives you all kinds of different eq sine waves to set, all Greek to me but after experimenting with some I found a setting for me that's awesome

#25 OFFLINE   evilkid500

evilkid500

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Tschanne, Thanks! I actually did read that while researching yesterday, it just did't stick in my head  :hammer_self: . My bad! 

#26 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

I copied this from another thread where we were discussing the same thing. Love the stereo now!

As far as noticing a difference in sound from stock Sony to the Kenwood/Maestro install, it's like night and day. To my ears the system sounds fantastic now, best I ever had in any car I've owned. I also had the center channel dash speaker along with the front and rear door speakers(left in the stock tweeters) and sub woofer replaced as part of the upgrade. Also as a result of the install I lost the rear pillar speakers but honestly if I wasn't told, I wouldn't have known.

Before the stock system was way to muddy sounding and not nearly as crisp as I prefer. Now I get much more punch along with way more clarity especially at higher volumes, more ratta tat tat on snare drums rather than boom boom boom. The lower bass could be a little tighter and more powerful but I'm happy.

I lost all the eq adjustability  from the head unit but everything can be adjusted on a Kenwood app on your phone which is kind of cool to play around with. There's either preset settings for rock, jazz, pop etc or you can flip a little switch on the amp and tweek every little setting using the pro setting. That gives you all kinds of different eq sine waves to set, all Greek to me but after experimenting with some I found a setting for me that's awesome

If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost for everything you did (amps, speakers, installation, etc.)?

After I'm satisfied with all my performance/appearance mods, the shit Sony stereo system is next.  I'm almost ready for this, but I want to do as much of the stereo install myself.  I can handle replacing all the speakers, but I'm probably going to pay to have the amp and DSP installed so I know its all functioning properly.  I've been out of the car stereo game too long to feel confident doing that myself.

#27 OFFLINE   TSCHANNE

TSCHANNE

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost for everything you did (amps, speakers, installation, etc.)?

After I'm satisfied with all my performance/appearance mods, the shit Sony stereo system is next.  I'm almost ready for this, but I want to do as much of the stereo install myself.  I can handle replacing all the speakers, but I'm probably going to pay to have the amp and DSP installed so I know its all functioning properly.  I've been out of the car stereo game too long to feel confident doing that myself.

roots57

The whole package including speakers, amps, labor etc was just around two grand. A lot to spend on a leased vehicle but worth it to me as a quality system is one of the most important parts of a car in my opinion.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#28 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

roots57

The whole package including speakers, amps, labor etc was just around two grand. A lot to spend on a leased vehicle but worth it to me as a quality system is one of the most important parts of a car in my opinion.

thanks, thats about what I expected...I can handle that.  To me its going to be worth it too, as of now I'm planning on keeping this car for years to come, at least until the note is paid in full and I've got a good 4 years left.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users