Add me to the "check charging system" notification

Bought my 11 Sport from a dealership 5 days ago, and yesterday after its first lengthy trip back home gave me the "check charging system" notification. It gives me the notification a few seconds after start up but goes away once I start moving, I assume because more voltage is being pushed through.

It only has 48k on it and I purchased a full 3 year warranty that should cover everything other than the normal wear items (battery included).

From what I've read on here, most of the time it has seemed to be an alternator issue. No other issues are going on with it other than the notification that goes away immediately after I start driving. Is this cause for my first dealership visit? I can always have the battery tested, but outside of that, I might as well use the warranty I purchased.

Yep, most likely alternator. Check to see if you have any codes. Mine did not throw any codes. But, after a short time my AC stopped blowing cold air and I understand that the system intelligence starts shutting down sub-systems so as not to use any additional current (not sure if explained that correctly, but you get the idea.) New battery for me still did not stop the 'check charging system.' Dealer diagnosed alternator. Also got a new serpentine while they had things apart, you might want to do that also.

EDIT: Did you say the notification just goes away, or do you have clear it via the keypad?

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Sounds like a diode failed.

It's been discussed here before, there is a piece of test equipment that can check both the status of the battery and check the state of the charging system.

The meter is a Solar BA7 SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6CwxzbXRPSBK1

• Like 1

Well, it completely went tonight. First it shut off the MFT to save power, the the dash lights, then the cluster itself, then I think the AWD system (I remember seeing something about AWD during the chaos), then finally it started shuttering and losing power. I had to pull it into a parking lot and have it towed to a dealer.

I've had it just one week, and it's already going to the dealer with 48k mi. Good thing I bought this 3 year bumper to bumper warranty from Allstate. I just hope everything is covered.

I had just tinted the front windows and plasti dipped the front chrome trim this morning too :(

Edited by TheFloppyWeasel

It does, along with basically everything else on the vehicle minus normal wear and tear things like batteries, wiper blades, tires, brake pads etc.

https://allstatecarcare.com

Ford can't see it until Tuesday morning, so I have to figure out how to get a rental out of it since technically I can't get a rental until it's diagnosed I believe (my plan offers rentals in the event I'm without a car)

Edited by TheFloppyWeasel

Make some grumbly noises in the dealership... worked for me! I recently had to have my alternator changed and after diagnosing it for a day the dealership said it would be ready on Tuesday. When my wife dropped me off Tuesday aft they said unfortunately they did not have one in stock and I would have to leave it there until they could get one, again another few days. What!? This is an alternator for the 3.5 Duratec platform used in Edges, Fusions, Flexes, and (I think) some Explorers. This is one of the larger dealerships in the DFW metroplex and you >don't< have an alternator and can't get one for a few days!!! This dealership also has 3 other stores and they can't get another alternator for a few days!? You said it would be ready TODAY! I've purchased two other cars from this dealership!! Repeating that loud enough to get the Service Manager's attention got me a Hyundai Accent gratis for a few days until my Edge was fixed. I'm not one to bitch a lot but this just really kinda' set me off some. You might give it a try if they can't get your Edge back to you for a few days.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 2

Make some grumbly noises in the dealership... worked for me! I recently had to have my alternator changed and after diagnosing it for a day the dealership said it would be ready on Tuesday. When my wife dropped me off Tuesday aft they said unfortunately they did not have one in stock and I would have to leave it there until they could get one, again another few days. What!? This is an alternator for the 3.5 Duratec platform used in Edges, Fusions, Flexes, and (I think) some Explorers. This is one of the larger dealerships in the DFW metroplex and you >don't< have an alternator and can't get one for a few days!!! This dealership also has 3 other stores and they can't get another alternator for a few days!? You said it would be ready TODAY! I've purchased two other cars from this dealership!! Repeating that loud enough to get the Service Manager's attention got me a Hyundai Accent gratis for a few days until my Edge was fixed. I'm not one to bitch a lot but this just really kinda' set me off some. You might give it a try if they can't get your Edge back to you for a few days.

It is just the GL928 alternator unless it is a sport then it will be a different alternator. The 1.5 Refresh has two alternators. The amps are different for each. I will also note I have seen an increase in views on my alternator replacement video so I believe more alternators are starting to fail.

• Like 1

If more alternators are starting to fail then all the more reason why an *informed* Service Manager would want to stock a couple of alternators. I mean, they DO read their service trend reports right? B)

Mac, probably more views on your alternator replacement videos due to Ford Service Techs watching it, and because its just a darn good informational video. :worship:

Culprit was the alternator which I was told in turn caused damage to the battery.

Someone may need to explain that one to me. I'm not new to working on and modding performance cars, but that's new to me.

The battery isn't covered, but the alternator is. With a $100 deductible it looks like I'm paying around $260 out of pocket out of the close to $900 bill. Hoping my friend at ford can get me a better price on the battery. $130 is pricey for a non optima battery in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a yellow top optima in the mustang. Probably could have opted for the red top and saved $60 or so lol. I forgot to ask what type of battery they were quoting.

I guess it could be that. I'll have to ask when I talk to the service manager again. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow. I only got to enjoy it for a week lol

• Like 1