Corrosion, battery or terminals?

mikeym

Hey there Ford Edge people,

My car was having some battery issues just a few days before I was leaving to go overseas for a month. I figured I'd have to change the battery when I got back. Well, I'm back and I went to take a look and I noticed this blue and grey powder on the negative terminal. (See photos attached)

I don't know if I need to replace the battery or if it's just corrosion on the terminal or if it's Ford Warranty stuff or just wear and tear.

I have an extended Warranty and don't want to buy a battery and then it be something I can get fixed under the warranty.

I can't start the car though to get it to Ford anyways.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Mikey M

EDIT: It's just corrosion on the terminals. I'm gonna clean it up and then get a jump start and take it from there. All good.

post-33039-0-46335700-1499552284_thumb.jpg

post-33039-0-17409400-1499552294_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeym

Looks like corrosion to me. Clean the terminals with some baking soda water and a wire brush then use some of the anti-corrosion pads underneath the connector. And smear them with some dielectric terminal grease before re-connecting them. If you travel overseas regularly you might check out a cheap battery tender from Harbor Freight. I've had good luck with them.

• Like 1

I have an extended Warranty and don't want to buy a battery and then it be something I can get fixed under the warranty.

I can't start the car though to get it to Ford anyways.

Corrosion is common, I cleaned a little bit off mine yesterday.

Batteries are not covered under extended warranty. They have their own warranty, and by the time they need replacing, it's a mute point.

Batteries usually last three to five years, sometimes you can get more.

That it's not starting the car indicates that it's nearing the end of its days.

• Like 1