MKX original 22" wheels

2FAST4U

I just bought some used original 22" wheels for my girlfriend's 2011 MKX. It had aftermarket 22"wheels before them but they didn't have enough rear spacing causing the wheels to stick out of the body which I didn't like. Now with factory wheels, they are flush with the body.

What do you guys think?...Look good or not?

Claude.

post-41373-0-93582900-1499560576_thumb.jpgpost-41373-0-59121100-1499560574_thumb.jpgpost-41373-0-12521200-1499560579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Unique. Can't say I've never seen one on the road. Are the chrome strips below the door OEM or aftermarket?

The strips at the bottom of the doors are original on the MKX (but not on the Edge). I added the vertical ones on the door posts as well as chrome mirrors covers. (I bought the mirror covers at the Ford dealer).

Claude. :)

Had them on my Explorer Limited

Now I have the newer Edge Sport version 22's with 3/4"F, and 1.0" R adapters running 285/40's.

I don't know if you saw the pictures but I did put some 22's on my '16 Edge but without any adapters, they're direct fit. Some people like them some don't. It's a matter of taste I guess.

See the link below...

LINK: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22344-finally-bought-some-22-wheels-for-my-edge/

Claude. ;)

The 2010 sport models had those 22" wheels as an option. When we were out shopping for one, we looked at about 6 of them with those wheels and *every* wheel on all of them was curbed, and curbed bad. Rash all the way around every wheel.

I started looking more closely at it after about the 4th one with destroyed wheels, and noticed Ford put the narrowest tires possible on there from the factory- so much so that the lip of the wheel is the part that sticks out the furthest. The tire sidewall slopes slightly inward as you go up from the bead of the wheel. It actually looks really bad once you notice how narrow the tire is compared to the wheel. I'd recommend putting tires on there that are wider than OEM if you haven't already, or just don't get close to any curbs with it.

We ended up buying one with the 20" wheels because all the 22"s were ruined by the previous owners.

Edited by IWRBB
  • Like 1

It's got nothing to do with the wheels being 22" ( they were not an option, but standard on the 'Sport Edge') but from drivers that don't know how to park by a curb, and park by 'feel'. Some people just don't care!

Your 'terminology' is incorrect re: the narrowest tires possible from the factory'. You are trying to say 'the lowest profile tire' which in this case is 40. Going with a bigger wheel (22) you have to go with a lower profile tire ( from a (50) on 20" wheels, to keep the 22" tire package at the same overall height as the 20" package.

Some SUV's I have seen are running 35, or even 30 which is too low profile for a 5000 lbs. plus truck. While it may look cool ( and you definetly have to lower the vehicle, cause of the increased wheel gap), but such a low profile tire( 35/30) , which are really meant for sports cars, again not heavy trucks looking for your favorite pot hole to make round wheels square.

I have had 22's on my truck for years, and have no curb rash either, I know how to drive, and would freak to find a scratch. (They are $6000 @ the dealer, plus tax)

I have 19/20 HRE.'s on my Vette

19/19 on my BMW.

No rash...

The 2010 sport models had those 22" wheels as an option. When we were out shopping for one, we looked at about 6 of them with those wheels and *every* wheel on all of them was curbed, and curbed bad. Rash all the way around every wheel.

I started looking more closely at it after about the 4th one with destroyed wheels, and noticed Ford put the narrowest tires possible on there from the factory- so much so that the lip of the wheel is the part that sticks out the furthest. The tire sidewall slopes slightly inward as you go up from the bead of the wheel. It actually looks really bad once you notice how narrow the tire is compared to the wheel. I'd recommend putting tires on there that are wider than OEM if you haven't already, or just don't get close to any curbs with it.

We ended up buying one with the 20" wheels because all the 22"s were ruined by the previous owners.

Edited by JETZ

Had them on my Explorer Limited

Now I have the newer Edge Sport version 22's with 3/4"F, and 1.0" R adapters running 285/40's.

Can't post any pics cause 'Photobucket' wants to charge $40 a month to host! :-(

vgy.me.

Free third party hosting. I use that site, no problems. Plus I have an ulterior motive...I want to see the wheels with the spacers. ;)

• Like 2