2011 Edge: How to access GPS antenna.

Hello!

I will be visiting my parents this weekend and have been tasked with replacing the GPS antenna in their Edge. I have searched around and discovered that the antenna is "dead center under the dash", but have not seen any actual pictures of the antenna or where it is mounted. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do all the work on my own car, but I am not familiar with the Edge whatsoever. I figured make an account and ask what's the best way to access it instead of aimlessly prying off trim and removing stuff in search of a little black box. Pictures would be great, but I'm sure I can figure it out with some basic instruction. Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Zack

Took this from installion instructions for nav radio.

"The GPS antenna should be mounted behind your radio just beneath your dash top under your windshield. The GPS signal can be increased by adhering the antennas magnetic base to a metal surface. Plug the pink GPS connector into the matching fakra connector port on the back of the navigation radio."

Sounds like you should be able access the antenna after removing tbe head unit. Follow the pink connector wire up to the unit.

Thank you, sir! I guess the plug might not be pink since that sounds like an aftermarket unit, and I don't think a non GPS equipped car would come with a GPS antenna from the factory. I could definitely be wrong, but nevertheless that is very helpful! Is the head unit removal process pretty much the same as most other cars? Pry off the trim around the head unit and remove 2-4 bolts?

The GPS "antenna" is a module that has a connector with 4 wires going to it. I take it they have an OEM replacement? If so that requires a PMI (Programmable Module Installation) via dealer software.

Fantastic! I was looking for a reason to take it to the dealership!!

They do have an OEM replacement - is a PMI done to the GPS module before or after it is installed? Probably the latter but just want to confirm. Do you know what the average price is for a PMI service? They just got the firmware updated so hopefully that wasn't a waste of ~$70.

Thanks for the info though!

• 1 month later...

Well I removed the radio and found no pink wires and or the GPS antenna.

I thought it might be on the roof where the radio antenna was, but didn't find see anything when I removed the interior sunglass/reading light trim.

Has anyone replaced this and know exactly where it is?

The new antenna is a 2" x 2" plastic black box so it could be anywhere... Any help appreciated!

It's a pink connector on gen 1 radios, but in the gen 2 (MyFord Touch) I believe it's bundled in the main radio harness (sorry, misunderstood, thought you had a gen 1 system and looking to add a nav system. Not necessary in gen 2 systems, already there).

In gen 1 it's located above the radio, below the center speaker. As it's standard on gen 2 systems, I'm not completely certain.

It needs to "see" windshield but will be located inside the instrument cluster. I would guess it's still in back of and above the radio unit.

Btw, how did you determine that the GPS antenna was bad? I don't believe they fail very often. Did you try a radio reset? Don't know how it's done on the aftermarket radio, but it sometimes resets a radio with a glitch and fixes it.

Thanks for the responses.

It is a My Ford Touch (gen 2) - the GPS always thinks it's in the same location, which is my garage. I also have a GPS with an X through it on the nav screen.

We did a firmware update not too long ago which didn't help. The stealership said it was likely the GPS antenna so that was my next step. I really have no idea what else would cause it since I don't know very much about Ford electronics.

Any help appreciated!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...