Rear Bumper Protector - Install after Clay Bar or after Wax is applied?

I wasn't quite sure if I should post this under Accessories & Modifications or here under Appearance (Detailing), but here goes...

I am getting ready to install the Ford (dealer accessory) rear bumper protector, but I'm wondering at what stage of detailing this part should be installed for best results? I just took delivery of my '17 Edge one week ago, and my clay bar kit, sealant, wax and more will be delivered tomorrow. Should I install the adhered bumper protector to the paint after I clay bar it, or after I seal it, or after I wax it?

Thanks in advance for your attention and recommendations.

I think that if you just took delivery of your new Edge, very likely it doesn't need to be clay bared, waxed nor sealed yet...

100% Disagree. Nearly all new cars are covered in all kinds of crap that clay will quickly remove. And why would you wait to wax a new car? The dealer is supposed to clean and wax it- but it's half assed at best with some illegal immigrant or a 14 year old kid doing it with the cheapest wax they can find.

• Like 3

+1 Glad someone else said it for me. I think that since I just took delivery of my new Edge, that it's the perfect time to start caring for it. Ford hasn't had the best track record with paint. The best time to start taking care of any car is as soon as possible. I'm quite sure the 17 year old kid (who I met - he was all proud of his work, lol) that prepped my car didn't wax it for me, or do anything more than just wash it (hopefully by hand!) and dry it. After traveling from Ontario to NJ and then to my local dealer in PA, I can only imagine how much debris is clinging to my paint from that journey. The sooner I scrub all of those contaminants off with clay (after washing), the better. Then it's time for a quality sealer, and a quality wax, which is the very start of my cleaning regimen.

I just wasn't sure when to install the bumper cover in that process since I'm not an adhesives expert. Thanks WWWPerfA_ZN0W for that recommendation! I know the sealer and wax I have say they won't stain plastic trim white which is good, but I'll double check about what the part wants for protection before applying anything to it.

Thanks guys! Feel free to continue chatting if there is more to add to the conversation.

• Like 1

My son plays ice hockey (goalie) and also plays soccer (and I coach the soccer team). With all the sports equipment constantly being loaded and unloaded, I'm sure the strip will be a wise choice to protect the original paint finish back there. I will certainly try to be careful with it, but there's no way I'm not going to install the bumper protector.

• Like 2

I hear ya, but it could be a good time to teach your kid about being careful with the finish on a vehicle. We've owned ours for over two years now and my wife loads groceries and a big heavy stroller in and out of it all the time and we have no scratches what so ever on the bumper. Like myself, she cares about how her vehicle looks and makes the effort to not damage it.

There are downsides to having it installed as well, mainly when it comes to washing and waxing it. Dirt gets trapped under it and runs out with the drips, it's much harder to fully wax the bumper since you have to avoid it, and if you do get wax on it there's no getting it off.

Like I said before, you can always leave it off for now, but install it later if it does get scratched. It's kind of like a bed liner, whether it's installed before or after the bed gets scratched up, it looks the same.

Do what you want obviously, that's just my take on it. We thought about putting one on ours as well but never did. I'm glad we didn't. I just waxed it a month or so ago and it was much easier to do the bumper without that giant hunk of bare plastic in the way.

• Like 1

Should I install the adhered bumper protector to the paint after I clay bar it, or after I seal it, or after I wax it?

I believe the instructions state to wash with soap and water, then clean with alcohol and wipe dry. Don't worry about the adhesion, the adhesive is very strong and it will stick.

• Like 1

I hear ya, but it could be a good time to teach your kid about being careful with the finish on a vehicle. We've owned ours for over two years now and my wife loads groceries and a big heavy stroller in and out of it all the time and we have no scratches what so ever on the bumper. Like myself, she cares about how her vehicle looks and makes the effort to not damage it.

There are downsides to having it installed as well, mainly when it comes to washing and waxing it. Dirt gets trapped under it and runs out with the drips, it's much harder to fully wax the bumper since you have to avoid it, and if you do get wax on it there's no getting it off.

Like I said before, you can always leave it off for now, but install it later if it does get scratched. It's kind of like a bed liner, whether it's installed before or after the bed gets scratched up, it looks the same.

Do what you want obviously, that's just my take on it. We thought about putting one on ours as well but never did. I'm glad we didn't. I just waxed it a month or so ago and it was much easier to do the bumper without that giant hunk of bare plastic in the way.

The bumper protector I was looking at online looks like it's a decal. Not plastic cover. It looks like clear plastic tape with some lines and the word EDGE on it. So if you have a scratched up bumper you would see it through the clear. Maybe there are 2 kinds of protectors?

Not sure if you've installed it yet but, I put mine on before wax. I made sure the bumper was clean and wiped with the alcohol wipes supplied.

One thing I would recommend is to leave both the car and protector in the sun for about 20-30 min before applying. This will help the adhesive (at least for me it did) I had heard a lot of people complain of bubbles or the protector lifting after they install it. I have had it on for over a year. It's been in cold and hot climates and no bubbles, lifting or any other issues.

Also do not stretch when installing just place it from the center and press down outward for it to stick. The other advantage to applying it when it's warm/hot is you have a little bit of time to work with it. Prior to putting on the protector I marked center on the car and protector so once I put it on I did not have to try to move it around at all. Went on extremely easy.

I did not get the factory protector I hear it's a little thin but if it works what the heck. I wanted to protect the top as well as the lip so I opted for a different protector.

Here is the finished product, it's been on for almost a year now with no issues. Just my two cents.

2016 10 19 001 022

2016 10 19 001 023

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I installed my Ford accessory bumper protector last Wednesday after I clay barred my car, before I sealed it with Meguiar's Ulitmate Liquid Wax. Installation was very easy. I just eye-balled it and I'm very happy with the placement I got (and I'm quite picky about symmetry). The adhesion is strong with next to no bubbling at all and no edges peeling up. I was quite surprised at how thin the protector is. I was expecting it to be a much thicker plastic piece as opposed to thin rubber, but I still think it will serve it's purpose very well. It is fully opaque and mine is black (not clear like a previous post mentions). It does say "EDGE" in the middle, which complements the car well. Overall, I'm very happy with it!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I installed my Ford accessory bumper protector last Wednesday after I clay barred my car, before I sealed it with Meguiar's Ulitmate Liquid Wax. Installation was very easy. I just eye-balled it and I'm very happy with the placement I got (and I'm quite picky about symmetry). The adhesion is strong with next to no bubbling at all and no edges peeling up. I was quite surprised at how thin the protector is. I was expecting it to be a much thicker plastic piece as opposed to thin rubber, but I still think it will serve it's purpose very well. It is fully opaque and mine is black (not clear like a previous post mentions). It does say "EDGE" in the middle, which complements the car well. Overall, I'm very happy with it!

post-44785-0-43124600-1501250184_thumb.png

Yep - that's the one. I purchased the part when I took delivery of my ordered car, but since it was raining that day, they didn't want to install it then. I had them sell it to me at their cost (at least what they showed me was their cost - realistically, their cost is probably like $20, if). I think I paid something like $60.65 or thereabouts. I'm very glad I have it.

• Like 1

Not sure if you've installed it yet but, I put mine on before wax. I made sure the bumper was clean and wiped with the alcohol wipes supplied.

One thing I would recommend is to leave both the car and protector in the sun for about 20-30 min before applying. This will help the adhesive (at least for me it did) I had heard a lot of people complain of bubbles or the protector lifting after they install it. I have had it on for over a year. It's been in cold and hot climates and no bubbles, lifting or any other issues.

Also do not stretch when installing just place it from the center and press down outward for it to stick. The other advantage to applying it when it's warm/hot is you have a little bit of time to work with it. Prior to putting on the protector I marked center on the car and protector so once I put it on I did not have to try to move it around at all. Went on extremely easy.

I did not get the factory protector I hear it's a little thin but if it works what the heck. I wanted to protect the top as well as the lip so I opted for a different protector.

Here is the finished product, it's been on for almost a year now with no issues. Just my two cents.

Please tell me where you got that from. That is exactly what I've been looking for since I bought my 2011 a couple years ago.

I need one that covers the EDGE of the rear bumper, something the OEM protector doesn't cover. The edge of my rear bumper is all scuffed up from my dealer (of all people) lifting my tires in and out when I had them do the all-season/winter tire change-over. The paint is completely gone right on the corner, they scuffed it right down to the bare plastic (fiberglass, whatever it is). They swore up and down they didn't do that, but I know it wasn't like that when I took it in.

Edited by RAJones