Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Erratic outside temp reading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wesley

Wesley

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

We love our 016 Edge Titanium in almost every aspect.  The Ecoboost 4 has exceeded our expectations and fuel mileage is not too bad either (about 2.5 mpg better than our 08 Edge).

One question however:

On occasion our outside temp reading on the center screen seems abnormally high, sometimes as high as 125 degrees F.  When that happens, the AC doesnt seem to put out as much cooling as it should.  I recognize that this time of the year is really hot and there is a lot of radiant heat from the roadbed but this seems to pop up at random.

We havent taken it back to the dealer yet since it is not reproducible.

Has anyone experienced such an anomaly?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,026 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

When does this occur - at startup or after you've been driving at speed (> 40 mph) for a few minutes?   If it's the latter then it's probably a bad temp sensor.

The sensor can easily read that high after it's been sitting in the sun on a hot day or from residual engine heat.   It is programmed to not change the previous temp until you've driven sufficiently to cool down the surrounding areas so you shouldn't see 125 on startup either.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Wesley

Wesley

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

That makes sense.  It most frequently occurs at restart.  I know engine soak can contribute to the temp readings.  I presume the temp reading comes from the mass air flow sensor, I dont know if there is a second ambient temp sensor.  The particular instance it read high I seem to recall I was driving for about 10 minutes but it corrected.

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,026 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

There is a separate ambient temp sensor in the front bumper area.  

It's normal for the temp sensor to read that high after sitting in the sun on a hot day and/or with a hot engine.  What isn't normal is for that temp to actually be displayed.  The programming normally shows the previous temp until you've driven enough to eliminate the heat soak.   In fact there is a thread over on the Edge forum where people are complaining that it doesn't change for several minutes on startup.

#5 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,137 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Nitpicking and an aside, but ecoboosts use MAP and not MAF sensors. The MAF sensors on the 3.5 and 3.7 do double duty as MAF and intake air temp sensors. Sorry for the disruption, carry on :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users