hole in the muffler?

Mikula

just laying under the back my 2016 sport and noticed two small holes on either side of the muffler (bottom side). does everyones have this? they are probably 1/8" to 3/16" in diameter and i can clearly see streaks of carbon that has come out from there. looks like they are supposed to be there, just as much as i'm thinking they shouldn't be there? maybe i just never looked at any of my other vehicles.

Probably made by muffler borers.

Ā 

They're attracted to the carbon in the hot exhaust gases and will usually chew a perfectly round 1/8" diameter hole near the end of a muffler.

Ā 

Two holes are normal, one's an entrance and one's an exit. The exit can be identified as the one with heavier carbon deposit. (Actually it's part of their waste products).

Ā 

Easy enough to get rid of them, when you start a cold engine, the hot exhaust gasses will condense on tbe cold Steel of the muffler and form water. They usually are swept along with the condensate to the small holes at the end of the muffler and get carried out.

Ā 

Just let them be, don't go digging around in the warer, they really get angry when the get rinsed out and will probably look to take it out on whoever is nearby. (And we all know how bad toenail fungus can get).

• Like 7