what tint to match factory

2016 sport, wanting to get my front side windows tinted, and i want them to match the rear. anyone know what will accomplish this? i think with the windshield shining so much light in i'll have to go darker than what the rear is, would that be a correct assumption?

You can just take it to any reputable tint shop and tell them to match the front to the back as close as possible. If there is any noticeable difference from the front to rear window tint, whether darker or lighter, you will probably not be happy with the result. It will technically be illegal. Having said that, I've been tinting my windows illegally for 20 years, living in both Massachusetts and California and never had an issue whatsoever. I see so many cars with "illegal" tint in California these days and it just doesn't seem to be enforced. Besides, its worth risking the $60 it costs to tint the two fronts in my opinion...compared to the off chance I might get a fix-it ticket.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

I have 35% on my fronts, and they are very close to factory. I did however had a hard time passing inspection this year in NY due to the tints. As of Jan 1st 2017, cars with aftermarket tints will not pass inspection in NY. I was lucky to find a place were this wasn't enforced yet.

I have Sun Tek 45% to the front windows. Sun Tek is warrinty for life . It matches the color of the stock tent (it is not purple) and you can still see in so the popo should be good with it. So far no problems and I am happy with my choise.

post-46130-0-98235000-1501028297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra

5% tint is the legal limit in all states FWIW.

Not for front windows... 28% is the limit in Florida for front windows and a lot of the northern states have limits of 35% while New York's limit is 70% and Illinois outlaws front window tint altogether except for medical reasons.

for the record i can say after getting it done today that 20% is spot on. they use "johnson" window films and from the outside you can't tell a difference. slightly different hue from the inside, but its hard to match "tinted glass" to "glass with tint"

18% on my fronts and it's pretty close. 80% on the windshield for UV and heat blocking. I live in CA and haven't had a problem. I had 10% on my mountaineer in Illinois, Nevada and California. During that time I've been pulled over for every other reason besides window tint. My thought is if you don't go crazy say 5% you'll be fine.