Battery Replacement Information

Not sure were to post this, but since the battery is an accessory i figured why not here.

So I had the battery tested at Autozone yesterday since the car wouldn't start Thursday morning. Their machine said that it had 100% charge, but was a bad battery. I priced around and surprisingly the dealer had the same price as Autozone and O'eillys and they installed it for me, but then the electrical gremlins came out. I got in the car after the battery had been replaced and the check engine light was on the AC would only blow hot air while the climate section of MFT would not light up only the lights on the panel below and when I turned the car off to go back and talk to the service tech the center display and radio wouldn't turn off. The advisor came out with me after I talked to him; the center screen turned off finally and he felt the hot ac and saw the check engine light. He took the car back to the shop and ten minutes later he told me that it must have been electrical gremlins because the ac kicked in as he was driving it to the back and the CEL was a fluke code and was reset.

Still after I left the dealership I noticed the insert Nav SD Card issue appeared with my new A7 card and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to recognize the card from a master reset and removing the card turning the car off and letting it re cycle the MFT.

What finally seemed to reset it was inserting my old A4 card and letting it load and then reinserting the A7 card.

I just thought this might help anyone if they get these gremlins when they replace there battery.

Edited by tamugrad2013
  • Like 1

NASA had something similar happen on the first shuttle mission. They turned on the shuttle's electrical system and four of the five computers agreed with one another and the fifth one said the rest were full of shit. So they scrubbed the mission.

Three days later NASA announced they found the problem. It was a glitch. They fixed it by turning off the shuttle and turning it back on. (Same reason you turn on your modem first, then your wireless router and finally the computer).

My guess is, the mechanic may have touched the battery cable to the terminal a couple of times (or more) when making the connection and glitched the car's computers. He could have fixed it by removing the the cable from the terminal for a few seconds and then reconnecting it.

• Like 3

I recently had to put a new battery in my Edge. I bought a Duracell AGM on sale at Sams and so far so good. I was concerned about losing all the presets, nav info, etc when swapping the battery but I used one of those super duper Harbor Fright 9v battery keeper doohickeys that plugs into once of the dc outlets and is supposed to save all the preset info. It worked I guess as I didn't lose anything, but I think it was enigma or akirby that said one of those things wasn't needed anyway. Either way the battery swap was successful.

My favorite NASA story: After many years of testing, development, and cost overruns NASA was able to produce the 'Space Pen' that was able to write in 0g, upside down, stainless steel, and went for years before running out of ink. Your tax dollars at work! Years later at a space symposium after the end of the cold war NASA was proud to display their handiwork on the pen. The Russians grunted, smiled, and said "We solve problem 1961!" The Americans were amazed! How were the Russians able to come up with a solution so early!? Russian say "We use pencil!" :drop:

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

I wonder if they shorted something during the replacement. I've never had those kinds of issues and I've replaced several batteries the last few years on multiple vehicles.

I sure hope not everything seems to be working great thus far.

Battery seems to be holding up nicely. I honestly tossed the idea around in my head to just drive off and see if the problems remedied themselves, but since it was 5:20 pm on a Friday afternoon I figured better let them handle it before they closed. I think it would have fixed itself anyway.

• Like 1

2011 and up MY vehicles get the Battery Management System, in which the PCM learns the charging characteristics of the battery installed. So as the battery weakens, the behavior changes accordingly. Basically extracting the most juice for the longest time. So when you replace the weak/dead battery, if you do not reset the BMS, the PCM assumes the same battery is in place, and thus an inappropriate charging strategy is applied. Particularly important if you change from a standard lead acid to another type of battery, since native charge characteristics and capacities are different. So a reset should be done every time a new battery is installed. Forscan may be able to do this, but IDK.

It can easily be done DIY if after installing the new battery you leave the car alone (NO interactions) for 8 hours or more. This is the way it was described for 2011-14, not sure if the procedure has been updated for 2015+ (I do not have a Gen 2 manual at this time).

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

WWWPerA_ZNOW,

I believe there are 2 things at play here:

1- State of current battery charge, this is so the vehicle estimates the current battery state of charge (think 0-100% full). This is what gets reset when a vehicle is left untouched for 8+ hours.

2- The characteristics of the installed battery, how fast it charges/discharges and/or how long it keeps a charge. These would change with batter age and once a new battery is installed the BCM needs to know that in order to reset the parameters accordingly.

There is also a battery capacity parameter, though as far as I know, does not apply to the Edge (1st gen at least).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, how do you do this?

I've got Forscan and all I seem to be able to do is read the codes.

Unfortunately I am currently on a vacation & away from from car, hence can't see it to describe it. But it might be a 2011+ thing & therefore wouldn't be on present on your car.