How to change the blinker fluid on your car

Figured it was time I finally get around to changing my blinker fluid. Noticed last April 1st that I was getting low on fluid, and checked today and my housing's were completely empty.

I decided to go with the synthetic blinker fluid instead of the conventional fluid because of the additional additives that help seal the housing. The conventional fluid does not have the additives, and it costs only a little more in the long run.

Was able to locate the fluid at Advance Auto but locating the the Elbow Grease turned out to be a real problem. I had to drive over to a NAPA dealer in an adjacent city as it was completely out stock locally. The elbow grease is used on the gasket of the turn signal bulb to make an adequate seal and keep the fluid from leaking out.

If you have never performed this fluid change before, I included the following YouTube video as to how to do this. Now its important that you watch the video to the very end so you dont miss anything. Lot of good tips on changing your fluid.

Remember, if you ignore this important maintenance task, you will completely loose your ability to make right hand turns in the Edge. And in some late model Edges, I have read reports that the the left turns were getting difficult as well. (Wonder what Ford changed from the gen 2 models?) Anyway, its very important to maintain this fluid.

• Like 4

I've just completed rotating the air in my tires. I'm told it will extend the tire life by 2X

I hope you used the right air. I prefer a very precise blend of 78% Nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% inert gases. I keep a compressor full of it in my garage at all times.

It's also good for other mundane tasks such as breathing and blowing off sawdust.

• Like 5

Thanks for pointing that out, that's critical.

I've always used pure Helium in my tires. The extra lift it gives the car drastically reduced rolling resistance and hence my gas mileage is awesome. And make sure you over inflate the spare too. That raises the rear of the car up a few inches more so I can run bigger staggered wheels in the rear and gives me that "raked" look on the road

• Like 3

This is why I like this group. The collective years of automotive experience leads to in-depth, valuable, and dare I say it, yes....intelligent feedback when it comes to the care and maintenance of our vehicles. Gosh, I just love you guys!!

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 3

I hope you used the right air. I prefer a very precise blend of 78% Nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% inert gases. I keep a compressor full of it in my garage at all times.

It's also good for other mundane tasks such as breathing and blowing off sawdust.

Oh my gosh, your not one of those who deliberately inhale that mixture, are you?

You have any idea what that can do to your brain? You keep that up and you'll soon be spending 1/3 of you time in bed, sleeping.

Hey, don't laugh, I had a friend you liked to breath that mixure and ended up spending around 8 hours every, single night sleeping. Eventually it killed him when he was only 81.

Oh my gosh, your not one of those who deliberately inhale that mixture, are you?

You have any idea what that can do to your brain? You keep that up and you'll soon be spending 1/3 of you time in bed, sleeping.

Hey, don't laugh, I had a friend you liked to breath that mixure and ended up spending around 8 hours every, single night sleeping. Eventually it killed him when he was only 81.

It gets worse. I have a nasty habit of ingesting dihydrogen monoxide. I'm probably up to a couple liters per day, sometimes more. Should I see a doctor?

• Like 2

In a pinch, I once put nitrox (36%) from my scuba tank into one of my tires. Went a LOT faster... Damn near blew out the other three "normal" air tires.

• Like 1

It gets worse. I have a nasty habit of ingesting dihydrogen monoxide. I'm probably up to a couple liters per day, sometimes more. Should I see a doctor?

Yea, that's a nasty addiction. Stuff can eat throught unprotected steel in no tiime. Just imagine what it will do in your body.

• Like 1