Update on Rotora Brakes for G2 Edge Sport

First I love them!! They are so much better than stock. The Stock brakes could never keep up with my needs.

I now have a few thousand miles on them and have pushed the car so hard in the canyons that the transfer case quit and over heated . All I had to do is give the car a rest and I was back in busness. A warning sign popped up saying that AWD was temporally unavailable. I have also have pushed the little 2.7 so hard in those canyons that the turbos got so hot that the car put up a warning that said pull over and let the car cool down for a while. The tempature guage was at normal.

Now back to the Rotora Brakes they never quit, they never faded, they let me go very deep into the corners over and over and they never complained while other systems could not keep up.

For those who said drilled rotors suck let me show you two cars that could have any brake system in the world. First a Shelby Super Snake GT 500. Carol Shelby would not specify Drilled Rotors in his super car if they sucked .

post-46130-0-16130500-1501022748_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-34799400-1501023013_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-12175800-1501023061_thumb.jpg

Now the next car cost so much to argue that Drilled Rotors Suck is just nonsense !

This is a custon Rally Racing Porsch where the brakes have to run in mud on track and are tortured on a regular basis . Guess what it has Drilled Rotors !!! Check it out doubters.

post-46130-0-57365700-1501023304_thumb.jpg

This close up is out of focus but you can still see the Drilled Rotors. post-46130-0-36852800-1501023377_thumb.jpg

Drilled Rotors on a Rally car ... The horror LOL :)

post-46130-0-73282200-1501023533_thumb.jpg

So there you go Drilled Rotors Kick A** They are standard equipment on Supercars over the world!

My front brakes -15 inch Rotora Drilled Rotors with six piston Calipers. Rear Rotora 14 inch Drilled Rotors with 4 piston Calipers. Rotora as of this post is the only manufacture to produce aftermarket brakes for G2 Edge Sport.

post-46130-0-70890300-1501024228_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra

that 996 is not a rallye car. look closely at the tires and suspension gap. it's an RWB (Rau-Welt Begriff) widebody cup car for track use. don't be fooled by the rallye light bar. it's just for looks.

notice the wheel clearance and tire treads on this real 959 rallye car.

959_rally_car_porsche_photo.jpg

cross drilled rotors are fine, so long as they are bedded and broken in properly. obviously carbon ceramics are the most optimal, but not at 15k for a set.

i run crossdrilled Brembo's on my Corrado SLC and never had an issue with them. i did however upgrade the lines to braided stainless steel.

Edited by pinyin
  • Thanks 1

that 996 is not a rallye car. look closely at the tires and suspension gap. it's an RWB (Rau-Welt Begriff) widebody cup car for track use. don't be fooled by the rallye light bar. it's just for looks.

You are correct sir! My bad

Edited by Xtra

I now have a few thousand miles on them and have pushed the car so hard in the canyons that the transfer case quit and over heated. ..... A warning sign popped up saying that AWD was temporally unavailable.

DANGER, Will Robertion, DANGER.

(a.k.a B9 and/or Robie The Robot from Forbidden Planet)

If I were you, I would change the lubricant in your PTU immediately.

Several here feel that a single case of overheating the PTU is sufficient to turn the lubricant to a thick goo and this causes the failure of the PTU.

If your not convinced, at least pull a few drops from the case and check it, see if it's black or thickened.

• Like 2

DANGER, Will Robertion, DANGER.

(a.k.a B9 and/or Robie The Robot from Forbidden Planet)

If I were you, I would change the lubricant in your PTU immediately.

Several here feel that a single case of overheating the PTU is sufficient to turn the lubricant to a thick goo and this causes the failure of the PTU.

If your not convinced, at least pull a few drops from the case and check it, see if it's black or thickened.

Thank you, I will check that out. I take very good care of that car and a heads up like that is nothing to be ignored. It has less than 6K on it and I have changed the oil 3 times already. 1,000... 2,500, and 5,000. I will have the PTU oil changed just in case as it is in the shop now having some custom work done. Can't hurt anything but my wallet . :shrug:

• Like 1

The Edge G1 PTU is a sealed unit. Thank goodness that problem was addressed with the G2. Ford has made provisions for a fluid change in the G2 Edge.

Not really sealed, but no drain was provided on domestic vehicles. There's an open vent and fill plug. I have mine pumped out and refilled at my local Ford dealer.

On my 09 Lincoln requires the fluid be changed anytime there's a leak, whenever the PTU has been in water or every 3000 miles when pulling a trailer or hard acceleration, if a non-synthetic fluid is used. Same as the rear axle.

Figure I'll have the fluid changed every 30k just to be safe.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2