2011 Ford Edge Vista Roof

lbrowning

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but I had to get my story out there. My wife and I bought a used 2011 Edge SEL last week (10 days ago to be exact). It has the vista panoramic roof, which was a big selling point for us.

We've opened and closed the roof about 5 or 6 times since we bought it last week. Last night, my wife went to close it and we heard a snap. A plastic clip of some kind fell into the passenger seat. Now the glass is fully open and can't be closed. All of the parts are moving, but the glass stays in the open position.

This morning I called the warranty 1800 number because I knew we had a 90 limited warranty. They set up a claim and told me to take it to a shop to diagnose the problem. The shop called me and told me the part needed to fix the issue is $3,000.. How is that even possible?? So I called the warranty number again and they informed me that the part would not be covered under our warranty and that I should call the dealership since it was such a recent purchase. Go figure..

So I call the dealership and tell the sales manager what happened. He basically told me they had no way of knowing that the part would break when they sold me the vehicle, and that there is nothing that they can do for me.

So here I am 10 days after purchasing a vehicle (in cash might I add) and I already have to dump $4,000 into it. I've had transmissions rebuilt for far less than this stupid "track" part will cost.

I know these vista roofs have been notorious for causing problems, but has anyone had the same issue and been able to resolve it? I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a "new" vehicle 10 days after purchase, but I don't have much of a choice if I can't even close the stupid roof.. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Enclosed is the parts diagram for a 2011 Vista roof. Don't know if it will help, perhaps it's a simple part replacment.

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.sectionDiagram&vehicleID=313513&diagram=MS11485

Thanks enigma-2, I found that diagram on a previous post. I'm being told that the part I need to replace is #3. Still over $2,000, but that's quite a bit less than Ford will charge.

Sorry to hear. Yes, it can get VERY expensive to replace the whole vista roof. What part broke exactly, is it the guides or the little "feet" at the end of the guides, or ...

From what the repair shop has told me (and I'd really like to just go look at it while they have the whole thing taken apart) it's the piece that is attached to a cable that pulls the glass forward. Why the entire frame would have to be replaced, I have no idea.

It seems to me like you could just replace the cable and clip and be good to go. Or at the very least, rig something up to attach the cable to the glass again. I've just never heard of a part being so expensive for something that is not vital to the operation of the vehicle..

Update -

The dealership offered for us to drive the Edge to their shop and they would "close" the vista roof for us. Not fix it, just close it. So I said no thank you and asked the shop that the vehicle is currently at to close it.

I'm not giving up though. I'm going to contact Ford about this issue until I get some kind of response. This plastic piece that broke is just poor engineering, and us consumers should NOT have to pay $3,000 for a part that just closes the sunroof and has known issues. They need to find a more economic solution to this problem, and make it available at a more reasonable cost.