harsh shift with lms tune

93 performance tune from LMS. now i know they give you firm shifts, and i love them. but this isn't "firm" this is a "bang". every time i get in the vehicle, the first few 2nd to 3rd upshifts are a lot harsher than any of the other shifts. its only the first few, like it has to warm up a bunch before they even out some. 3 minutes into driving it, they are fine.. just wondering if this is happening with anyone else before i call the boys at lms.

How long since you tuned it? The shifts on the 93P tune were abrupt following the initial tuning, but smoothed out after about a week of driving for me.

The 93A tune shifts felt like I ran over a horse with every shift. Especially downshifts upon deceleration from highway speeds.

If you end up calling LMS, talk to Andrew.

no information from lms. email from them said "You are putting more HP and TQ to the vehicle and the computer isn't sure what to do at first. We can always soften the shifts up for you. You have a pretty common strategy code with your vehicle and we haven't seen any other issues that come up with shifting besides what I suggested earlier."

well i was under the impression from the original instructions that the shifts will seem hard until the computer learns driving habits. can't imagine that taking more than a few weeks and 1300 miles. at this point, not really impressed with LMS customer service like everyone else is. no one else seems to be having this issue with a 93 performance tune.

I had experienced the same hard shifting, even got the gears to grind on a full throttle run (sounded liked death). I emailed my sales rep at LMS, and he forwarded my message and questions to the tune guys. I got a call about 30 minutes later, they explained that until the computer relearned the shifting strategy it would feel very abrupt. The biggest thing is that once you load a tune, DO NOT floor it or drive it super aggressively for the first 100-200 km's. The computers need to relearn the shifting firmness and other sensory data. Another possibility is the traction control systems are cutting power when you're driving aggressively causing the harsh shifting.

Even still, on a cold start, for the first 5 minutes or so the shifting is firmer than it will be once things get up to temperature.

I'm running the 91 Perf Aggressive tune.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had experienced the same hard shifting, even got the gears to grind on a full throttle run (sounded liked death). I emailed my sales rep at LMS, and he forwarded my message and questions to the tune guys. I got a call about 30 minutes later, they explained that until the computer relearned the shifting strategy it would feel very abrupt. The biggest thing is that once you load a tune, DO NOT floor it or drive it super aggressively for the first 100-200 km's. The computers need to relearn the shifting firmness and other sensory data. Another possibility is the traction control systems are cutting power when you're driving aggressively causing the harsh shifting.

Even still, on a cold start, for the first 5 minutes or so the shifting is firmer than it will be once things get up to temperature.

I'm running the 91 Perf Aggressive tune.

This is correct. The shift firmness is a learned behavior somewhat. Even when driving 'nicely' for the first couple hundred miles, it will always be firm when cold. I hated it so much that i asked them to put the factory shift strategy back in. The 'firm' shifts are not doing anything to enhance performance.