Spark Plug Change 2013

Liptoss

I've purchased the plugs, manifold gasket, pcv and I'm ready to go. I've changed many spark plugs on all sorts of vehicles, but I'm rather perplexed at one thought. I understand it, but wonder if it's a good idea.

In gathering the information that I need to "get the job done" I came across a Youtube video. Viewing it, the mechanic states that "Ford wants us to warm the engine up for a couple of minutes to aid in the release of the threads form the heads". The Duratec engines can have issue with spark plugs stripping the head threads.

I've more or less always changed spark plugs on engines that were cool. I'm guessing that Ford figures the expansion rate of aluminum and the spark plugs difference will aid in the release of the spark plug threads to the heads.

For those having performed changing your spark plugs on your Edge, or other Duratec 3.5 or 3.7 vehicle, what have you done? Cold or Warm? Have you noticed a difference? Am I just being "paranoid'?

Thanks

You probably don't have enough age on the plugs to make them resistant, but it is possible. My Edge was 9 years old before it got new plugs, and the ones in the back were somewhat more difficult than the ones in the front to remove.

And yes, I hear the same thing about warming up the engine first esp when working with aluminum heads, from trusted sources.

OK Thanks. I recall that I had a "moment" a few years back when I changed my previous Focus plugs. I forget which cylinder plug seemed to "stick", but I tightened it a bit, then loosed it, rocked it back and forth a bit. It came out in the end. I did the change on a completely cold engine.

I'm wondering how common this issue is with the Edge Duratec. I've read online about older F-150's and spark plug removal nightmares.

I don't recall putting any anti seize on the threads for the Focus.

Wonder what I should do with the Edge?

I just did the plugs in my 2011 with 90,000 miles on her. Changed them cold and didn't have any problems. I used a little anti-seize when installing the new plugs. A little tip for ya: just cut the tape to remove the wire harness running across the front of the intake and re-tape it when you're done. It's better and easier then trying to remove the plastic harness brackets.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice on the tape. I was thinking the same. I wrench quite a bit on Japanese motorcycles and am totally familiar with successful extracting of grommeted plugs from holes. Going to begin the plugs this morning, and end with the serpentine belt replacement.

• Like 1

Plugs were completed 2 days ago. Really easy overall. Had approximately 145,000 kms Used new Ford gasket and PCV.

Things I found the most troublesome were removing the COPs. Don't know if it's a suction thing or what, but I put a dab-el-do-ya in each of dielectric.

Another was the initial break-free of the plugs. Creeeeeeeek loosen. Then tighten slightly back, then loosen again. Back an forth if I felt needed more. Cleaned the bore with air before full extraction of plug. Blew plug threads of debris after plug was out. Puff of grey brown sediment.

All else was pretty simple. Save yourself a few bucks at the stealership.

• Like 1

Plugs were completed 2 days ago. Really easy overall. Had approximately 145,000 kms Used new Ford gasket and PCV.

Things I found the most troublesome were removing the COPs. Don't know if it's a suction thing or what, but I put a dab-el-do-ya in each of dielectric.

Another was the initial break-free of the plugs. Creeeeeeeek loosen. Then tighten slightly back, then loosen again. Back an forth if I felt needed more. Cleaned the bore with air before full extraction of plug. Blew plug threads of debris after plug was out. Puff of grey brown sediment.

All else was pretty simple. Save yourself a few bucks at the stealership.

Did you warm up the engine first?

No I didn't perform this on a warm engine. Decided that I'd go back to tried and true what I learned over my years. I had the threads once fudge up on me with a lawnmower that had the plug sit in it for mega eons. It pulled the threads out with the plug partially. AGH! Not a great feeling when it happens to you once. I was much younger then, and know better now. It's a lot about feeling as you first begin the turn.

Yeah, I used the grecian-formula to change the plugs from white look running lean.

• Like 1