Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

The longer you live, the more you learn has struck again!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Well the longer you live, the more you learn has struck again with my 2013 Edge SEL FWD.

I changed the rear rotors and pads last year, or about 30,000 kms ago. I used all Ford parts purchased from a stealership. Actually better priced than Can Tire. Anyhow...one Ontario winter under the belt and I was forced to change them again last week. I'm not entirely certain as to why, and am only taking a guess here on this issue. 
But, it looks like I'll be removing the rear calipres and pads to scuff clean the hanger bracket channels. It isn't enough to scuff clean the rust upon each brake job. I'll be forced each time I swap out summer to winter tyres and visa versa.
I specifically believe the channel that the stainless clips rest in becomes rusted and forced the clips into a position that binds the pads from effectively sliding, thus binding and seizing against the rotor. Initially I heard as a few squeaks, and then at speed dragged so much it glazed the pad and blued the rotor. It was more or less the outside, non-piston side of the caliper that refused to correctly float. Leading me to believe that being exposed, it must be receiving more road debris etc. Whatever it is, The rear rotors should not have needed to be changed so soon.
As for the squeaking, and the ridiculous "ANTI-SQUEAL/SQUEAK" mushrooms mounted by Ford on one of two caliber pins doesn't even do anything. Hack saw it off as far as I can see. Waste of cash to replace too, since they are about $45 CDN each!
Thanks again Ford!

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 238 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Do you grease the slides and pads ears?  I'll usually add some grease to the slide area with a small brush every time the tire is off as well.  

Edited by IWRBB, 09 August 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 50 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

So you blame Ford for harsh weather? Out here in California things don't rust up to bad. I guess it's like the glass half full or half empty thing. Anyway I'm not trying to be negative on you and understand your frustration but bad whether is rough on things and like IWRBB said maybe some grease would prolong the corrosion. That would be a pain dealing with brakes all the time. Plus the gas mileage probably suffers too.

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,509 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

I'm just guessing as to why you ran through pads at 18k miles, but it's possible that it was a combination of your winter and your driving and the automatic traction system or stability system. Those systems can really heat the brakes up while working properly. Often you never notice them.

Other possibilities include the proportioning valve and as you suggested, lack of grease on the tabs.

Usually it's the fronts that go first. How are the front pads?

#5 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

Yes, clean up will include removing the cruddy grease and adding a small amount of fresh brake grease to ears and slides for certain. Front brakes are totally fine as I changed those within a month after the rears last summer.

My brother had similar issues with his 2002 Chevy Slap-A-Rado rear brakes. Every change over of tyres he would clean up and lube the system, and he never had problems again with rotors crapping out. Can't blame bad cast material anymore as you hear from others.

Ford makes good SH*T; some crap too though. Case in point: the latest Focus transmission issues. My 2008 Focus with timing chain was a bulletproof engine and transmission! The body sucked basically rotting out everywhere even with spray before each winter.

I digress, back to brakes.

I have observed MANY Edges of varying ages and driver styles over a period of time in parking lots I visit. NO, I'm not a stalker. I just learn through observation. What I see is that Edge rear brakes seem to be not holding up to the front twice to rear once formula.

CASE: A coworker of mine had a 2013 he purchased new. His rears brakes were changed at a stealership and lunched themselves within a year and a half. He then subsequently purchased a new 2017 Edge not long ago. I've now watched as over the past year, the rear rotors have begun to scored and crap themselves. It won't be long before the flaking sets in and the story is wrote. That's only one winter season of driving.

I've always been partial to drum brakes in northern climates where SO much salt/sand etc is thrown on the roads. My '08 Focus front brakes lasted for 225,000 kms (140 000 miles) with the rears only needing to be changed at 250,000 kms (155 000 miles). The rears would have gone longer but because the emergency brake cable froze/seized during a bad damp wet winter flash freeze, that hung the shoes, smoking a drum.

Am I angry. Nope. I don't get angry. I simply observe and adjust. I develop what I need to make stuff work.

What I'll need to do is clean and re-lube yearly for these brakes. Lucky I enjoy wrenching for myself.

#6 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

I have advocated a once a year brake maintenance and cleaning. I also sand blast the caliper brackets then when installing the clips place a liberal amount of CRC ceramic brake grease on the brackets and on the clips also. This has proven to be trouble free braking for me in Iowa where salt is also used on the roads. Not doing brake maintenance every year will result in some bad wear.   I also use High carbon content rotors and ceramic brake pads. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, PaulSchott and Liptoss like this

#7 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hey! Great advice! Yup. I'll be adding aspects of your regime to my next tire swap.

#8 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,139 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

Once a year - so that translates to what - 100,000 miles?   :)

• macbwt and PaulSchott like this

#9 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Once a year - so that translates to what - 100,000 miles?   :)

More or less. LOL

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,509 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

Air miles. Each air mile is equal to 7 ground miles.

Edited by enigma-2, 12 August 2017 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users