2014 Edge + Ford Fitted Hitch

Hi All,

We purchased a V6 FWD 2014 Edge when it was brand new. In late 2015 we went back to our dealer and had an original Ford hitch fitted, the cost at the time was about $600 (CDN)

We have a 2 inch receiver and there is a sticker on the bottom of the hitch with the following information:

Class 2 Hitch

V-5 Max Gross trailer weight 3,500

Max tongue weight 350

BT4A-19D534-AB

We are now thinking about purchasing a small 18 ft couples travel trailer, the dry weight is around 2,800 lbs.

Because I am a type A person lol I started doing some reading online and I think I have confused myself. I believe our Edge doesn't have the factory tow package with the larger radiator and upgraded cooling but I now wonder exactly what we got for our $600 !!

My question is can I safely tow this small lightweight trailer. According to what I read if I do not have the factory tow package I am limited to 2,000lbs but according to what is on the hitch itself I can tow up to 3,500 lbs.

I would also like to know if I can use a weight distribution hitch, I was given one by a friend who no longer needed it and said it would help with stability.

I am travelling on business this week and cannot get anyone from the dealer we purchased the vehicle from to call me back.

We are supposed to go on Saturday and sign the paperwork for the new trailer so I am kind of panicking now.

Hopefully someone can help clear things up

Regards

Richard

The factory tow package includes a larger radiator, an engine oil cooler, different fans, and sway control in addition to the hitch and wiring harness. Not sure what all your dealer installed, do you have the invoice handy?

1 7T4Z-8005-A Radiator

EDGE; W/ TRAILER TOWING PKG.

$183.63 $137.26 1

9T4Z-8C607-A Fan Assembly

3.5 LITER, W/ TRAILER PKG

$496.60 $314.10

Oil cooler similar to

7T4Z6A642A (this fits 2007-9 Edge/MKX at least)

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Most likely it was just the hitch and the wiring harness/connector which means technically you're limited to 2K lbs. Engine and tranny cooling would be the concern.

That is what I was beginning to wonder,

I would be more concerned if we were planning on driving across the country in the middle of summer but at this stage most of the camp sites we want to visit are around 2 hours away. I am still going to ask my mechanic what his thoughts are on extra cooling and see what he says.

The factory tow package includes a larger radiator, an engine oil cooler, different fans, and sway control in addition to the hitch and wiring harness. Not sure what all your dealer installed, do you have the invoice handy?

1 7T4Z-8005-A Radiator

EDGE; W/ TRAILER TOWING PKG.

$183.63 $137.26 1

9T4Z-8C607-A Fan Assembly

3.5 LITER, W/ TRAILER PKG

$496.60 $314.10

Oil cooler similar to

7T4Z6A642A (this fits 2007-9 Edge/MKX at least)

As far as I know, 2011-2014 Edge Towing Package doesn't contain any additional engine oil cooler. The content only includes upgraded Radiator & Cooling Fans (in addition to the hitch, wiring harness & sway control).

• Like 1

I assume both the engine oil and tranny fluid run through the radiator for cooling therefore the larger radiator would provide better cooling under heavy load for both the engine and transmission without separate coolers. In that case upgrading to the larger one should suffice.

It varies by MY for the 6F50/55. Originally it was stacked: A/C condenser, then trans cooler, then radiator. When the combined unit was implemented, not sure, possibly as early as 2009?

For the 2007, for example, the trans cooler is $123.04

AT4Z-7A095-B Trans Cooler

Oil Cooler

EDGE, MKX

the A/C condenser is $287.93

1 7T4Z-19708-B Condenser Transaxle Cooling

The transmission fluid cooling system consists of the following:

• Oil-to-air transmission fluid cooler
  • Transmission fluid cooler tube assembly
  • Thermal bypass valve
  • Transmission fluid cooler outlet tube
  • Transmission fluid cooler return tube

These vehicles are equipped with an external fluid cooler. The cooler is mounted in front of the engine radiator. The cooling system also consists of a thermal bypass valve which is mounted on the transaxle main control cover. When the transmission fluid is below normal operating temperature, transmission fluid travels from the transaxle to the thermal bypass valve then back to the transaxle. When the transmission fluid is at or above normal operating temperature, the thermal bypass valve opens allowing transmission fluid to travel from the transaxle through the cooler then back to the transaxle. The transmission fluid cooler transfers heat from the transmission fluid to the outside air.

For the 2013, the A/C condenser

BT4Z-19708-B Condenser

3.5, 3.7 LITER

$363.35 $271.61

and is also the trans fluid cooler.

Transaxle Cooling

• OTA transmission fluid multi cooler
  • Transmission mounted transmission fluid cooler tube assembly
  • Transmission fluid thermal bypass valve
  • Transmission fluid cooler inlet tube
  • Transmission fluid cooler return tube

These vehicles are equipped with an external transmission fluid cooler. The transmission fluid cooler is part of the A/C condenser and cannot be serviced separately. The cooler is mounted in front of the engine radiator. The transmission fluid cooling system also consists of a transmission fluid thermal bypass valve which is mounted on the transaxle main control cover. When the transmission fluid is below normal operating temperature, transmission fluid travels from the transaxle to the transmission fluid thermal bypass valve then back to the transaxle. When the transmission fluid is at or above normal operating temperature, the transmission fluid thermal bypass valve opens allowing transmission fluid to travel from the transaxle through the transmission fluid cooler then back to the transaxle. The transmission fluid cooler transfers heat from the transmission fluid to the outside air.

The 2.0EB system (6F35) is a bit different:

Transaxle Cooling

• Oil-To-Air (OTA) transmission fluid cooler
  • A non-repairable in-tank transmission fluid cooler
  • Front transmission fluid cooler tube assembly
  • Rear transmission fluid cooler tube assembly
  • Transmission mounted transmission fluid cooler outlet tube
  • Transmission mounted transmission fluid cooler inlet tube
  • Transmission fluid cooler bypass valve
  • Transmission fluid cooler — warmer

These vehicles are equipped with an OTA transmission fluid cooler and an in-tank transmission fluid cooler. The transmission fluid cooling system also consists of a transmission fluid cooler — warmer assembly which has a transmission cooler bypass valve mounted to the top of the transmission fluid cooler — warmer. Transmission fluid travels from the transaxle to the transmission fluid cooler — warmer. The transmission fluid cooler — warmer warms the transmission fluid to the transmission operating temperature using heated engine coolant. When the transmission fluid is at or above normal operating temperature, the transmission fluid cooler bypass valve opens allowing transmission fluid to travel from the transaxle through the in-tank transmission fluid cooler then through the OTA transmission fluid cooler then back to the transaxle. The transmission fluid cooler transfers heat from the transmission fluid to the outside air.

• Like 1